Idea I had.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jimboburgess

Go fast, Go Cheap
We were hanging out at the local auto parts store and someone mentions electric superchargers, I think, oh you mean crap.

then i got the idea to use a centrifugal supercharger and electric motor with enough power to spin in sufficiently, like that of a dremel tool but scaled up.
the throttle could be controled in such a way that according to the position of the throttle it would spin at an ideal speed to maximize performance.

other ideas would be to use a four-stroke gasonline engine like off a lanwmower or weedwhacker. and mechanicaly control the amount of boost by using a throttle cable in addition the the one on the throttle body or have it set at a constant speed pushing constant boost.

if someone has parts lying around give it a go. the unit would fit under a hood easily enough. It would be ridiculous to hear it if you had two engines running, one your cars and the other off a weed wacker. pulleys would help adjust to rpms.

motor, centrifugal supercharger, belts, pulleys, piping.

any thoughts, ideas? seen this before anywhere?

The electric supercharger has already been done. It costs about $3000 and works on just about any engine.

Lawnmower engine = no go. It's not going to supply enough power to generate enough boost to make additional power.

meccacharger.jpg

here it is with a 30cc model airplane engine.

isn't it just a matter of getting it to spin fast enough?

Getting it to spin is one thing.... getting it to spin while pushing positive pressure against a large volume and load is another. Superchargers on a B16 can eat 20-30hp easily just to pump air- if your lawnmower engine can do that, then go for it.

I guess i underestimated exhuast pressure as far as being able to push a turbo.
I don't have the resources to build this it is just an idea that we have been kicking around

I've always wondered.. What if you hooked up a gas-powered leaf blower to your intake. And had a manual gate. When you hit wide open throttle, close the gate. Its got to be worth a few HP. like at a drag strip. I'd be willing to bet that a good leaf blower could do something like 4-6 psi of boost. I've never done the math, though.

**EDIT**

Maybe take it a step further, make it a closed system and link the throttle of the blower to the throttle of the car. Could it be a red neck super charger?

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 8 2005, 11:18 AM
I've always wondered.. What if you hooked up a gas-powered leaf blower to your intake. And had a manual gate. When you hit wide open throttle, close the gate. Its got to be worth a few HP. like at a drag strip. I'd be willing to bet that a good leaf blower could do something like 4-6 psi of boost. I've never done the math, though.

**EDIT**

Maybe take it a step further, make it a closed system and link the throttle of the blower to the throttle of the car. Could it be a red neck super charger?
[post=537378]Quoted post[/post]​

Leaf blowers move volume, not pressure. You wouldn't be able to pressurize your intake any appreciable amount with a leaf blower.

lol, i've contemplated these things at one time but came to the conclusion none of it will work...

the electric supercharger has definately been done, using a mercedes blower i think... the one i saw ran about 5K

you need to think of it like this...
your motor has a capacity of 1.6 liters for example...

at a 1K rpm idle that 1.6 liter is sucking in 1600 cubic liters of air per minute...
that would equate to 8000 cubic liters of air at 5K rpm
and 13120 cubic liters of air at 8200 rpm

so idle is 56.5 cfm
5K = 282.5 cfm
and 8200 = 463 cfm

so you would need a blower or compressor that could supply a pressurized amount of air in addition to the cfm that the motor can suck in on its own naturally aspirated...

all numbers are theoretical and should only be used as an example...

If the correct motor is used i still believe that this is possible. the only choice for the correct motor might be electric and then it has already been done.

as far as the leaf blower i think it could push minimal boost(1-2psi), or at least eliminate vacuum. Volume in a limited area is pressurized.

i know a boy with a 92 Sentra 1.6 that routed a hose from his A/?c through a hole in his fire wall to the intake box (only mods are k&n filter and slightly gutted cat.). he says he notices a significant increase, but i aint been in it yet to se for my self.

mike, did you not see the vid of the guy who put a leafblower right up to his intake? he made 10 more whp, lol.

Originally posted by blackice90HB@Sep 9 2005, 10:54 PM
i know a boy with a 92 Sentra 1.6 that routed a hose from his A/?c through a hole in his fire wall to the intake box (only mods are k&n filter and slightly gutted cat.). he says he notices a significant increase, but i aint been in it yet to se for my self.
[post=552174]Quoted post[/post]​

Oldschool hotrod trick

You want ghetto?

put a wheel to the ground and let the speed of the car push the supercharger. The faster you go, the more boost you get. :ph34r:

13 leafblowers wouldn't make any "boost"

the wheel inside a leaf blow works like a fan, there is no volute, no turbine, therefore there can't be any compressed air

however, it stands to reason that if you can accelerate the air into the intake manifold, you'll allow a bit more to find it's way into the cylinder each time the valve opens. Since the air isn't pressurized, you'd never see huge power gains, but adding velocity via a leaf blower is just as good as increasing intake velocity with another method

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Sep 10 2005, 09:15 PM
13 leafblowers wouldn't make any "boost"

the wheel inside a leaf blow works like a fan, there is no volute, no turbine, therefore there can't be any compressed air

however, it stands to reason that if you can accelerate the air into the intake manifold, you'll allow a bit more to find it's way into the cylinder each time the valve opens. Since the air isn't pressurized, you'd never see huge power gains, but adding velocity via a leaf blower is just as good as increasing intake velocity with another method
[post=552496]Quoted post[/post]​

Dude, they just made 10 hp on a dyno with a single leaf blower.

And there is a turbine, a leaf blower works on EXACTLY the same principles that a turbocharger works.

I'm going to have to do this, so everyone will STFU.

Back