Idles around 3k

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smoothekang

Did a b20 swap in a 00 EK, revs high around 3k when cranked, but goes down t o 1k when its warm, any ideas to why it goes so high and goes down when its warm?

My B16 used to idle from 2000 to 1600 when it was first cranked up. My friend fixed it at his shop. Something to do with the idle control.

did he readjust the screw on side of the throttle body? Did he clean out the idle air sensor? More info would be appreciated thanks

The reason why it idles high when its cold is so that the engine will reach operating temperature faster. The correct way to do adjust it to where it needs to be is to warm up the car, then unplug the IACV, and then turn the adjusting screw on the TB until the car idles around something like 650rpms. Then you plug the IACV back in and reset the ECU.

its a censor im pretty shure i had the same prob. a while back...........but look on the bright side u will hit v-tec quicker lol

hey dose that engine have a fast idle thermo valve?
the fast idle thermo valve controls the idle of your car while its cold. so if you have one what i would suggest doing is taking it off, on the back side where theres a plat that has two 8mm bolts holding it on take it off and you will see a a white thing with two slots in it one on each side just get a flat way screw driver and screw in the white thing if your car idles too high or un screw it a little if your car idle too low. try this and see if it dosent help. if you need more info on how to do this go here
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1564019

Last edited:
I believe he readjusted the screw. I'll double check though. Only took 45 minutes tops from what he said. I can't imagine it being anything complex.

Back