IE7 not too bad?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Apparently the latest FF has some issues with sucking up system resources, and running at 99% CPU usage. So today I decided to give IE7 beta a try, and it's not too bad. If only it wasn't from the offspring of satan :(

gallery_630_77_106388.jpg

too bad it still doesn't support proper standards, nor png graphic deals... nothing... still worthless

I had a few problems with FF till the newest version came out. running sweet now.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 14 2005, 02:14 AM
I had a few problems with FF till the newest version came out. running sweet now.
[post=539752]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea, it runs ok, but it will have fits of 100% CPU usgae, just kills everything.

I've seen few people experiance it over on on the Fedora Forum, myself included, and not just in Linux.

you say azereus does that, and now firefox too?

i think its yoru system man-- you need more ram or something, or your version of linux doesn't have good memory management.

i have the same issue with ff every now and then. or sometimes i will close the window and the window will actually close, but my pc runs really freaking slow. ill ctrl=alt=del and check resources and there is still a ff process running even though there are no open windows. close it out and everything is dandy. doesnt happen often enough to piss me off though :p

Fedora == not so good. Try Debian if you want a good package manager (aptitude is way better than the lame Fedora update thing) or Gentoo if you don't. I don't see FF issues on either XP or Debian sarge install so I am not sure what is going on there.

IE7 has some pretty major issues and the top of the list is not actually standards. There was an excellent article on slashdot.org two weeks ago explaining many of the security issues with IE7, as soon as I find it I will post a link.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 15 2005, 03:03 PM
you say azereus does that, and now firefox too?

i think its yoru system man-- you need more ram or something, or your version of linux doesn't have good memory management.
[post=540182]Quoted post[/post]​

2048MB is plenty and no, I said Azureus kills my internet, not my CPU. I have it configured in Linux and Windows to run decent, still slows interent, but not as bad.

Eric, Sarge and Gentoo don't play nice with my hardware, FC does. I have tried about twenty distros, and it is the only one that supports EVERYTHING, with no hassle. Also from what I have heard about Gentoo, even though it is way powerful and fast as hell, I hear you pretty much have to compile everything, which I doesn't sound like fun to me. And I use yum to install, and update, that way I can control dependency issues, and repos myself, I don't use the RH updater.

Anyway, I got lucky, and was able to duplicate what I am talking about....

gallery_630_77_7763.jpg

When was the last time you tried Debian? Sarge has gone stable and etch (the new testing distro) has added a bunch of hardware support. What hardware are you trying to work with?

About two weeks ago I tried installing Sarge stable version. Asus mobo, Radeon ATi X800Pro, Nvidia chipset, ethernet (big problems there), IMRI monitor. I forget the exact problems something about my ethernet card always, sometimes issues with my monitor, half the distros I tried just don't believe I have a mouse, serial, or USB. Yopers didn't even believe I had a keyboard. FC...just works. Suse and Linspire are close, but Suse hates my monitor, and Linspire doesn't like my ethernet, though I can run Knoppix, and suse live pretty issue free also.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 15 2005, 01:58 PM
About two weeks ago I tried installing Sarge stable version. Asus mobo, Radeon ATi X800Pro, Nvidia chipset, ethernet (big problems there), IMRI monitor. I forget the exact problems something about my ethernet card always, sometimes issues with my monitor, half the distros I tried just don't believe I have a mouse, serial, or USB. Yopers didn't even believe I had a keyboard. FC...just works. Suse and Linspire are close, but Suse hates my monitor, and Linspire doesn't like my ethernet, though I can run Knoppix, and suse live pretty issue free also.
[post=540305]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm digging Ubuntu , debian based.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM+Aug 15 2005, 07:39 PM-->
@Aug 15 2005, 01:58 PM

[post=540329]Quoted post[/post]​

I couldn't get Xorg configurated on my machine for some reason, just errors telling me it was never going to work :(

B, yea, but it is using 99% CPU, everything comes to a grinding halt.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle+Aug 15 2005, 01:05 PM-->
i love internet explorer. i love windows xp. :eek: :D
[post=540344]Quoted post[/post]​
Starting Score: 1 point
Moderation -1
100% Troll
Total Score 0

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 15 2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Aug 15 2005, 07:39 PM
92b16vx
@Aug 15 2005, 01:58 PM

[post=540329]Quoted post[/post]​

I couldn't get Xorg configurated on my machine for some reason, just errors telling me it was never going to work :(

B, yea, but it is using 99% CPU, everything comes to a grinding halt.
[post=540349]Quoted post[/post]​

Did you try Etch? I was having trouble getting Debian installed on my laptop. I got a kernel panic when it attempted to look at my harddisk. Turns out the ATI IDE drivers were bunk but that was fixed in the Etch release.

Here is the the /. article I mentioned:
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/0...tid=113&tid=218

I tried The newest Sarge stable release (well, newest that came with this months Linux User). I haven't tried Etch, maybe next time I have to reinstall I'll give it a shot, FC is working really smooth for me now.

As far as the web standards thing, that really doesn't mean anything to me. I am not a developer, I am a user, and when I look at websites, they look fine, so I could careless about whos panties are in a bunch over not using what who wants who to. Properitary software guys only care about the money, open source people are too involved with individual projects to come together to form a unifed system, so fuck it, if it works, it works.

Back