inherited frakencivic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

j_mullet

Hi everyone!
I recently had given to me a 98 coupe. It currently has a b20 block, b18 head, and trans not too sure yet. There is a mess of electrical to figure out but primarily there is a trans issue.
2nd gear will pop out on deceleration ONLY. It goes in gear without grinding, as long as you accelerate it stays in gear, soon as you let off the gas, out it comes.
The first hunch I have is mounts. I don't want to just keep throwing money at it until I guess right. Any input would be sweet. Thanks.

Sounds like an internal issue with the tranny to me. A fork is probably mis-aligned or something... I'm no tranny expert though

Sounds like it could be the rear engine mount on the firewall. When you decelerate the engine torques forward pushing the bottom end to the back of the car. If the linkage was a tight fit in the tunnel or something then it could be up against the mounting hole or some other part of the car. When the engine torques and pushes the linkage backwards the shifter could be hitting on something and act like you are pushing the shifter out of gear. My other thought could be how the shift linkage is mounted. Does it do it in fourth gear too?

Sounds like it could be the rear engine mount on the firewall. When you decelerate the engine torques forward pushing the bottom end to the back of the car. If the linkage was a tight fit in the tunnel or something then it could be up against the mounting hole or some other part of the car. When the engine torques and pushes the linkage backwards the shifter could be hitting on something and act like you are pushing the shifter out of gear. My other thought could be how the shift linkage is mounted. Does it do it in fourth gear too?

All gears great except 2nd. I know one mount is not good being the front drivers side as it sits. Just not sure on the rear mount yet.

check your mounts, then check the fluid.
i had an old civic with b16 in it, tranny leaked like a son of a bitch.

fluid got low enough, would push out of some gears randomly.

also, could be a bent fork for the 1st and 2nd gear set. bent in a way to allow full contact with first, but not with second. allows it to engage the syncros to prevent grinding, but not full enough to actually lock it in.

Make sure the shift linkage is the correct one. Also make sure it's installed correctly. The first time I did a b series swap I initially screwed up the linkage and it caused all sorts of shifting issues.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that should be my second afle of attach after mounts, if that doesn't fix it. What should I be looking for in the linkage that may indicate it's screwed up in some way?

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that should be my second afle of attach after mounts, if that doesn't fix it. What should I be looking for in the linkage that may indicate it's screwed up in some way?
If it's been welded up in any way, I would deem it suspect. Also make sure the pin connecting it to the trans is fully seated

If it's been welded up in any way, I would deem it suspect. Also make sure the pin connecting it to the trans is fully seated

I've seen on the interwebs that there are specific shift linkages for this swap. I know that the linkages in the car are not aftermarket. Could this be an issue?

Back