intermittent loss of oil pressure???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hale97

hey guy,i have a 97 integra rs. i just installed a new motor last weekend. its another b18b1 but it has eagle rods,acl bearings,srp pistons, head pnp. oversize valve,crane turbo cams. during first start up it was fine,no problems,drove it to work the next day and re-set valve lash,then drove home,had no problems. went to start it in the morning and oil pressure light was on,removed oil fill cap and saw no oil. install oil pressure guage after work and had good oil pressure. installed new pressure sender.and drove fine no oil light on,had good oil flow up to head,drove car to work next day and oil light came on when i went to leave work,chk under oil cap again and had no oil flow.
has anyone come across this before? could this be a sticking oil pressure regulator??
anyhelp would be awesome!thx

I've heard of issues like this when the mechanical oil pump was inadequate or obstructed... can't remember what all was involved, but it's a possibility.

yeah, i guess its possible that something got in there and is blocking a oil passage. i dont think its the pump,its new,but i guess anything is possible.

to check the oil pressure regulator do i need to remove the pump housing??? or can i just drop the pan???

well if anyone is interested i pulled the oil pan off today and checked the pressure regulator.i found a nasty black stain on the pin. once i cleaned it up and cleaned the bore i lubed and re-assembled.
and now have good oil pressure. so the pressure regulator must have stuck open allowing all oil to bypass.

Back