Is a tranny fluid change going to solve my problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tdg

I have a '98 GS-R with 132k miles, all stock..
I bought it two months ago and all has been great, it pulls like it's new, it's in great shape, etc etc etc. I can feel the wear on the tranny though, it will occasionally grind, sometimes going into gear gets a little hard...typical of a oem tranny with this many miles, i'm sure..
If i redline 1st, shifting into 2nd is a real bitch. Pretty much, shifting at near redline RPMs is a pain. not only that, but it just seems my shifting overall is getting a little notchy, like it seems like it should feel a bit smoother. I don't know when the last tranny fluid change was, and regardless, I should get it done,...it may or may not have been done 30k miles ago who knows. My friend drove it and said a tranny fluid change will help me out a lot; and a new clutch is not vital, but down the road it will be, but it's not necessary right now...

I don't know much about this shit, but I'm guessing changin the tranny fluid will help me out. Any input?

Yes it will help you out, as will changing the clutch. Also sounds like your syncros are wearing out. If changing those two things doesnt help, then its probably the syncros.

i used that lucas stuff in my 180k d series tranny and its super smooth now

my tranny was giving me a hard time at higher rpms....so i went to the parts store and bought syncromesh by penzoil....after a week i was ableto power shift at 8.8 rpm with no problems....

changing the clutch will not solve your problems...

the syncros in your trans are hurt...

you can try the redline, or lucas, or syncromesh...

people here swear by syncromesh, i put it in my crx tranny and it hasn't seemed to help me much, but i think i need something thicker...

try syncromesh, if that doesn't smooth it out then move to something thicker and it should help...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 12 2005, 11:15 AM

people here swear by syncromesh, i put it in my crx tranny and it hasn't seemed to help me much, but i think i need something thicker...

try syncromesh, if that doesn't smooth it out then move to something thicker and it should help...
[post=524708]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Thanks for the input guys.
One last question...
I can't do this on my own so I'm gonna have to take it in..should I buy the fluid and then take it in somewhere to have them put it in?
I used to go to the Honda dealer for maintenance on my Si because I just felt more secure with that. Even though they charge a bit more.
There's a nearby Acura dealer, I mean, is it worth having them do it, or would it be worth saving a bit by going to some shop. Would a dealer even do it if I brought my own fluid in?

Also I think it was 3 quarts I need..?
Redline MTF or synchromesh...hmm...decisions decisions.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 12 2005, 05:15 PM

[post=524708]Quoted post[/post]​

Syncromesh, with the friction modifier, not just Syncromesh.

Originally posted by Blanco@Jul 12 2005, 07:07 PM
Can someone who actually has a digitial cam post a picture of what I'm talking about?
[post=525018]Quoted post[/post]​

I have a shot of it somewhere- wrote a little DIY on how to change the transmission fluid at some point.

PLEASE dont pay a shop $200+ to do a tranny oil change. I did this 3 days ago and it took me 10 minutes. literally. Do what blanco said, but insteead of honda MTF, use teh syncromesh or whatever you feel like using.

I'm one of those guys who does not have experience working on cars. I'm capable of understanding and doing basic things... I've looked at the walkthrough on team-integra.net and it looks so simple. Basically just like a oil change just in a different spot.

I've never attempted a tranny fluid change, do you think I'd run into trouble trying it myself for the first time? While I don't have experience doing shit with cars; I'm not retarded and can follow basic directions. This thing seems simple, I just don't want to fuck it up. There's no trick to it, right? The walkthrough on t-i was pretty to-the-point, I think I can do it w/o problem...

tehre is absolutely no way you can fuck this up if you have a walkthrough right there. Take the drain bolt out with your 3/16th ratchet. put it back in after all old oil is out. remove fill bolt. 17mm. fill until it overflows. put it back on and you're good to go.

I'll go for it for sure
my problem was motivation.
When you're new at things, it's easy to get nervous. I'm just not used to all the DIY maintenance. Still new to the game...

Thanks for the support yo

If you need something thicker than synchromesh, and if it hasn't been mentioned already, try Redline Shockproof fluid. It has the consistancy of jelly, but from what I've heard, it will quiet down the noisiest of GB's.

you don't even need to remove the wheel

this can be done in less time than an oil change...

Syncromesh, with the friction modifier, not just Syncromesh.

something i should have known 2 weeks ago
lol

technically no, but with the wheel off is the only way I can get my funnel to teh tranny fill hole.

Stupid question....but those crushed washers....where do I get them and are they hard to identify?

Back