Is it really worth the extra money?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
I'm starting to look around for a mountain bike so I can bike around my area, we have LOTS of paths here.

I want something just to play with, get a nice cardio work out and thats about it. I was thinking about buying one of the many mongooses that the local retail stores sale. they go for $150-250 the only big downside I've seen to them is the weight.

The nicer $800+ bikes are in the 25-30lb range where the mongoose looks to be about 35-38lbs

My question is. For someone whos going to do basic riding MAYBE try some wooded paths"maybe". but more so for riding up and down the streets/walking paths. Is it worth spending extra money for a nicer bike? or do you think buying an elcheapo bike would be just fine?

One of their bikes. Comes with a Shimano 21speed drive train.

If I buy a bike it's gonna be an El Cheapo special. I don't really see the sense in spending at least 600 bucks for a bike that won't work any better for what I'm gonna do with it. Heavier? Fine. Just means I'll have to work harder and I'll build more leg muscle.

Can you find something more mid-range? You don't want to buy the cheapest thing out there, for quality issues. I went through 3 huffy's in two weeks. One normal bike, and two mountain bikes. I was 12 years old at the time and broke all three.

$800 just seems like alot to me, but if you could find something like $400.. You might find a happy medium. Have you checked ebay?

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 6 2005, 11:23 AM
Can you find something more mid-range? You don't want to buy the cheapest thing out there, for quality issues. I went through 3 huffy's in two weeks. One normal bike, and two mountain bikes. I was 12 years old at the time and broke all three.

$800 just seems like alot to me, but if you could find something like $400.. You might find a happy medium. Have you checked ebay?
[post=536578]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't know enough about bikes to buy one on Ebay. most of them are buy it now bikes with no names.

no thanks.

I'd personally just get the cheaper one. The extra 10lbs can't be that much more stress. It's will be slower but just as good. I had a cheaper bike and a schwinn. The schwinn was defenitly nicer, higher quality and easier to ride.

That BMW bike is still a good bike. Optimized with the 24 gears and is still fairly light, for 500 bucks it's worth it. Until he needs new brakes and they're $150.

Problem with most review sites is they review "good" bikes. When a site reviews something like a mongoose they always rate it very poor.

One of the sites you linked had user reviews and people seemed to like the mongooses however I very much doubt they've sat on anything higher class then that.

Sports Chalet or Sports Authority sells Iron Horses for really good prices here. you can get a nice one with front and rear disc brakes for about 400. that is what i hope to buy soon, i finally accepted that i am getting a little old to ride my BMX all the time still :(

I wouldn't buy a bike anywhere besides a bike store.

I have a giant with Rockshox Judy's upfront and I forget the rear shocks. I'm running shimano clipless' and some other goodies. Recently I broke my rear hub, so now the wheel clicks in between strokes, but it still rides fine...

Mountain bikes are actually going pretty cheap now for a pretty nice bike. Now on most brands, disc brakes are coming standard, and a decent amout of travel on the front fork. A starter bike from most companies start around the mid 300's. That isn't that bad IMO for a good wooded trails bike. You don't need anything super wild.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Aug 6 2005, 09:35 PM
Mountain bikes are actually going pretty cheap now for a pretty nice bike. Now on most brands, disc brakes are coming standard, and a decent amout of travel on the front fork. A starter bike from most companies start around the mid 300's. That isn't that bad IMO for a good wooded trails bike. You don't need anything super wild.
[post=536761]Quoted post[/post]​

Link me.

I did notice the Mongooses "399.99 one' had front disc.

cheap bikes suck man... even if you aren't going hard core trail riding...

if it doesn't have XT on it, i would pass.

Yes, it's worth it to spend the extra money.

No, you don't have to spend $800.

You can get a good entry/mid level Gary Fisher (good bike) for just over $300. You get a decent component package, a bike that doesn't weigh a ton, and quality that's well beyong "Wal-Mart special". If you want to waste $200 on a retail store junk bike, go for it- but it's going to fall apart. Go to a real bike shop and talk to someone who sells bikes for a living. Going with something like a Gary Fisher, Giant or other well known quality brand's entry level mountain bikes is always better than buying something from a mass retail store.

These are two amazing novice/all purpose bikes form two of the most reputable Mountain Bike companies in the world. As you can see, the price point is in-between what you want to spend, and the "expensive bikes" you were looking at. Both bikes I'm showing you have similar suspension, both have front and rear disk brakes, 21-gears, and mid-range Shimano drivetrains. Either one of these bikes will last you until you die. I wouldn't even consider a huffy or a mongoose...unless you're going BMX.

2005 Specialized Hardrock CompDisk - $550 USD
-Capable 30mm stanchion Marzocchi MZ Comp suspension fork with adjustable preload & magnesium lowers
-Powerful Hayes HMX-II mechanical disc brakes, 6" wave rotors
-Smoother-shifting Shimano 24-speed Alivio drivetrain
-Stronger Alex DP-20 disc-specific rims
gallery_31005_76_13268.jpeg

2005 Kona Fire Mountain - $549 USD
-Fork Marzocchi MZ Comp 100mm
-Brakes Shimano Mechanical Disc (BR-M465)
-F/D Shimano Acera-X
-R/D Shimano Acera-X
-Shifters Shimano SL-MC20
gallery_31005_76_7262.jpg

To view more bikes from these companies, visit:

Specialized Homepage

and

Kona Homepage

Notice the prices when you're sufing those sites. The above bikes are a fantastic value.

Gary Fisher is another company to look at as well, but I'd reccomend these two for the $$$.

If you have any questions, let me know dude, I've been into this stuff for a while now.

--Ryan

alivio and acera component groups fucking suck.

i'm telling you dude. get XT. it's worth the extra cash up front.

I'd honestly buy off of ebay after doing much research. You'll get the best deal there, look at bikes as a form of "exercise equipment". People buy them like they're going out of style, tell themselves that they're going to commit to an exercise plan and really do it this time, never use the bike, and then wind up selling it for a big loss because its doing nothing but taking up space.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 8 2005, 12:02 PM
alivio and acera component groups fucking suck. 

i'm telling you dude.  get XT.  it's worth the extra cash up front.
[post=537369]Quoted post[/post]​

TOTALLY NOT an option at that price point. Dude, to buy all the XT components seperately, to put on your own frame, it's going to cost you over $500 USD. Thats everything....F/D, R/D, Shifters, Hubs, Gears, ect...... And to up it even more, the XTR kit goes for over $1500 USD.

Not at all practical.

Christ, lets just go for some $2000 White Brothers Suspension while we're at it...

You'd be hard pressed to find a better value, from a better company, than the two above bikes I posted. Specialized and Kona OWN. A novice/everyday rider does not need XT components.

as fot the bike shop comment. well if you know what you are looking at then there shouldn't be a problem getting it from another store as long as its not a wal mart of target piece of crap. I checked out that Iron Horse and it was just as good, as those other two that Adnoh showed. I have a lot of friends that used to ride Iron Horse BMXs and personally i think they are awesome bikes. I never cared for Specialized, ehh, just never liked em. Kona, yea those ae cool i guess

Back