Is this a good start?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mozzandherb

Hi I just bought an H22 w/tranny and computer and I have a lot of items that I am adding to the swap. Can anyone give me feedback on whether this is a good start.
1. changing the autotensioner, gonna do it manually (less problems)
2. aem cam gears
3. stage 2 clutch and flywheel
4. aem fuel rail
5. fuel pressure regulator
6. throttle rotors
7. throttle body
8. aem short ram intake
9. ceramic headers
10. 2.5" cat converter
11. OBX spark plug wires
12. cat back exhaust
Anything else that might help improve the performance of the engine other than forced induction? Thanks I hope all these things help with the swap.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jun 22 2005, 08:47 AM
Forget the fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator and OBX wires. Stock all the way on those guys. Otherwise, lookin good.
[post=515160]Quoted post[/post]​

:concur: and i also suggest a lightweight flywheel since you'll have the motor out of the car. i picked up 3 tenths of a second with my exedy stage 1 clutch and fidanza flywheel. definately worth it.

and if you really want to get into it and make a nice potent n/a motor, i suggest swapping in some type-s pistons (11:1 compression). they're $200 shipped off of hmotorsonline. some headwork and stage 1/2 cams would also be a good idea.

He's already got a flywheel listed.

If he were to follow your suggestion and do pistons, cams and headwork, I'd suggest a custom dyno tune to take full advantage of those mods. Additionally, with that high of compression and aggressive head modifications, there's a good chance that he'll start to see some knocking without a proper tune.

Originally posted by lude9593+Jun 22 2005, 08:55 AM-->
dohcvtec_accord
@Jun 22 2005, 08:47 AM
Forget the fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator and OBX wires. Stock all the way on those guys. Otherwise, lookin good.

:concur: and i also suggest a lightweight flywheel since you'll have the motor out of the car. i picked up 3 tenths of a second with my exedy stage 1 clutch and fidanza flywheel. definately worth it.

and if you really want to get into it and make a nice potent n/a motor, i suggest swapping in some type-s pistons (11:1 compression). they're $200 shipped off of hmotorsonline. some headwork and stage 1/2 cams would also be a good idea.
[post=515165]Quoted post[/post]​

That sucks cause I already have those 3 things. If I swap pistons do I have to modify anything else? And how much difference it make?

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jun 22 2005, 08:47 AM

Would it be bad to swap those things? I've already bought them and can't return them

Why can't you return them?

I'd say it might be bad to use the OBX wires, but the rail and regulator will just sit there and not help you at all.

Yeah, youll be alright swapping them, but it wont do anything to help you out unless you boost it cause youll need higher fuel input.

There is not a WHOLE lot you can do to an H22 for gains, this isnt a small block 350. What you got listed is a good set of mods...

Originally posted by reikoshea@Jun 22 2005, 10:27 AM
Yeah, youll be alright swapping them, but it wont do anything to help you out unless you boost it cause youll need higher fuel input.

There is not a WHOLE lot you can do to an H22 for gains, this isnt a small block 350. What you got listed is a good set of mods...
[post=515205]Quoted post[/post]​

I am planning on boostin it in the near future, but about the pistons, do I have to do any other modifications and is there a real gain in swapping them?

Originally posted by mozzandherb+Jun 22 2005, 10:49 AM-->
reikoshea
@Jun 22 2005, 10:27 AM

There is not a WHOLE lot you can do to an H22 for gains, this isnt a small block 350.  What you got listed is a good set of mods...
[post=515205]Quoted post[/post]​

I am planning on boostin it in the near future, but about the pistons, do I have to do any other modifications and is there a real gain in swapping them?
[post=515221]Quoted post[/post]​

Someone here must know. If I swap pistons like some peole said to do, is there any other major modification I have to do to the engine?

with type s pistons, no, there is no major modification you have to do. If you go with a forged piston (other than mahle) you will have to resleeve your block because the forged piston will basically carve away your entire sleeve.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Jun 22 2005, 09:15 PM
with type s pistons, no, there is no major modification you have to do. If you go with a forged piston (other than mahle) you will have to resleeve your block because the forged piston will basically carve away your entire sleeve.
[post=515461]Quoted post[/post]​

Is it worth it? I mean an extra $200 for what?

you won't know until you rip the motor down...

standard size if you are doing it yourself...
but if the cylinder walls are worn and need refreshing then get it bored over and use a larger diameter piston...

also note: if you are going turbo soon you do not want 11:1 compression...
type s pistons will help you in the short run but will most likely lead to a grenade under the hood when you put boost to it...

the type S has a port and polish from the factory, as well as the higher compression pistons...
h22 nets 200 from the factory, and the type s is spec'ed with 220 from the factory, the type s cams may be more agressive, not sure on that though...

if you go type s pistons, get the head ported and polished, and get some agressive all motor cams...
then you will really need to get a custom tune to get the proper fuel and timing to really get all the hp you can...
i would expect over 20 hp gain with pistons, p and p, beefy cams, and a tune...

but like i said, if you go boost you'll need lower compression pistons, diffrent cams, and a diffrent tune...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jun 23 2005, 10:23 AM
you won't know until you rip the motor down...

standard size if you are doing it yourself...
but if the cylinder walls are worn and need refreshing then get it bored over and use a larger diameter piston...

also note: if you are going turbo soon you do not want 11:1 compression...
type s pistons will help you in the short run but will most likely lead to a grenade under the hood when you put boost to it...

the type S has a port and polish from the factory, as well as the higher compression pistons...
h22 nets 200 from the factory, and the type s is spec'ed with 220 from the factory, the type s cams may be more agressive, not sure on that though...

if you go type s pistons, get the head ported and polished, and get some agressive all motor cams...
then you will really need to get a custom tune to get the proper fuel and timing to really get all the hp you can...
i would expect over 20 hp gain with pistons, p and p, beefy cams, and a tune...

but like i said, if you go boost you'll need lower compression pistons, diffrent cams, and a diffrent tune...
[post=515578]Quoted post[/post]​
O.K thanks, I'm not gonna get the pistons, but I'm still adding a 75 shot of nitrous soon, so what I'm going to do is just keep everything the same as far as cams, pistons ect, maybe get a polish, would the stock engine as is be able to handle the nitrous?

dude, you are going to blow up that engine. if you are going planning on nitrous or turbo etc, you need to atleast get new pistons, and you might as well change the connecting rods if you are down there. if you are planning for a turbo go with low compression pistons and cams with low overlap. N/A you want high compression pistons and cams with high lift and lots of overlap.

Originally posted by mozzandherb+Jun 22 2005, 09:52 AM-->
dohcvtec_accord

Would it be bad to swap those things? I've already bought them and can't return them
[post=515193]Quoted post[/post]​

Resell them on ebay.

Originally posted by cheese9988+Jul 10 2005, 10:03 AM-->
Originally posted by mozzandherb@Jun 22 2005, 09:52 AM
dohcvtec_accord

[post=515193]Quoted post[/post]​

Resell them on ebay.
[post=523510]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah but if I'm adding nitrous won't the fuel rail and regulator be a good thing to have?? Also what's so bad about having obx wires?

Back