its just a intake!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the idea seems like it would work, kinda like the "Tornado" you know that damn thing to "super-charge" your car. I hear the Tornado workes as far as gas mileage, but that's another topic.

But the intake filter itself, that sounds like complete crap. I'm pretty sure K&N would of came out with that "more-pores" design if it was better. <_<

Save your money, stick with an AEM V2. That extra pipe in that tube effectively decreases the volume of the tube, decreasing its volumetric effeciency. Sure, it may add a "vortex" effect the the air, but it has to go through the intake manifold first. For non TBI engines, you want volume, and velocity, not "vortex" - or turbulence. The same "Venturi" effect could be replicated by tapering the diameter of the tube (aka - AEM V2).

Originally posted by EGProject@Jun 25 2005, 08:26 AM
Save your money, stick with an AEM V2. That extra pipe in that tube effectively decreases the volume of the tube, decreasing its volumetric effeciency. Sure, it may add a "vortex" effect the the air, but it has to go through the intake manifold first. For non TBI engines, you want volume, and velocity, not "vortex" - or turbulence. The same "Venturi" effect could be replicated by tapering the diameter of the tube (aka - AEM V2).
[post=516338]Quoted post[/post]​

that was the point of the system, it supposidly gets more volume due to boyle's law, and also incorporates the bernoulli effect(like using carbs, but instead of pulling in fuel, its pulling in more air). i dont think theyre trying to use vortexes or anything... there were lots of raves from the people who had it and compared it to Injen and AEM SRIs which is why i thought i should post about it. there was also a guy that said he couldnt tell the different when he took the WR-S out and put in a V2(guy from clubrsx).
im not really a fan of CAIs because where i go to school; when it rains the puddles get very deep...too much of a risk for me.

as far as the filter, i havent read anything about the pores and the K&N probally can filter better, but the feature theyre boasting is it has a "real" velocity stack inside. im guessing it has more pores due to the fact its using a foam media vs. paper.

:shrug2: on the flow thing... it could work, but there are a lot of "ifs" in there. AEM's V2 design works- not because of a tapered tube (someone else mentioned up above) but because of a tuned resonance chamber.

K&N has "real" velocity stacks in their filters too. You just have to buy the right ones.

You get what you pay for look at there flow bench? a wet vac? and a borrowed meter?

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jun 25 2005, 11:20 PM
You get what you pay for look at there flow bench? a wet vac? and a borrowed meter?
[post=516516]Quoted post[/post]​

:concur: and as important as flow is the filter area and feed tube is one of the least desirable areas to look for ponies.

I think it's all a bunch of bullshit. For one who gives a damn what the air is doing inside the intake, it still has the throttle body and plenium then the runners, all of which are going to have more of a say on power production and final intake air mass speeds and what not....

Anyway, the test I saw with it on a Impreza nets a whooping 4hp, granted, it's not a Honda, and I haven't seen another comparison on the same car with say an AEM, so blah....it's still a bunch of bullshit till I see it make real gains over my stock airbax with chamber replaced with a short coupling (mmm...homemade cold air), which feels better than my Apex did...

Originally posted by Blanco@Jun 26 2005, 05:53 PM
At least they actually had the balls to publish their "top secret" intake.
[post=516597]Quoted post[/post]​

They had to dazzle the public with their voodoo because otherwise AEMs actually dyno results would walk all over any potential sales they had.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jun 26 2005, 02:18 PM-->
@Jun 26 2005, 05:53 PM

They had to dazzle the public with their voodoo because otherwise AEMs actually dyno results would walk all over any potential sales they had.
[post=516618]Quoted post[/post]​

no im pretty sure that was a dig at import builders

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Jun 26 2005, 08:52 PM-->
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 26 2005, 02:18 PM
Blanco
@Jun 26 2005, 05:53 PM

[post=516618]Quoted post[/post]​

no im pretty sure that was a dig at import builders
[post=516650]Quoted post[/post]​

I guess something I missed, what Jeff was being secretive about their intakes or something?

lol, i think old corvairs had a similar thing, they called it the "turbo-intake" no charger at all though, i don't think it'll work though, ima pilot and i look at it like this to create the vaccum you have to have one distance of the tube alot longer to make the air move faster to get the air back into it, something like that... :blink:

On the subject of the IB intake, I actually purchased one from Jeff. He game me permission to do a write-up on it too, but well... the intake setup that he gave me is less than... universal. Eh, its more for a mod for dyno whores. I say that because to set it up, with my application (b16 ef) requires modifications that make it less than street friendly. Plus Finding a large enough filter to fit over it, and under the hood of my car, is a pain in the ass.
thanks not even taking into account what ill have to do to actually attach it to my current intake setup so that it fits under my hood.

Originally posted by Guy@Jun 30 2005, 10:10 PM
On the subject of the IB intake, I actually purchased one from Jeff. He game me permission to do a write-up on it too, but well... the intake setup that he gave me is less than... universal. Eh, its more for a mod for dyno whores. I say that because to set it up, with my application (b16 ef) requires modifications that make it less than street friendly. Plus Finding a large enough filter to fit over it, and under the hood of my car, is a pain in the ass.
thanks not even taking into account what ill have to do to actually attach it to my current intake setup so that it fits under my hood.
[post=518884]Quoted post[/post]​

thats the gayest thing ive ever heard

i still wanna SEE this magical mystery intake.

Well, he has given me permission to do the write up with pictures, so i imagine its ok to post pictures. If i can find the cord that connects my digicam to the computer ill upload a pic, otherwise ill have to use my webcam.
That said, for a car that isnt a daily driver i think this intake would be awesome. If you have an application where you can have your headlight removed with the intake and stack sticking out of its hole, this is for sure a great produce. Jeff told me that the thing works better as the intake is extended further. Having a bored out TB is supposed to help as well. To that end IB bores out TBs as well, at rather reasonable prices, so im thinking of getting that done too. Jeff Showed me a pic of an application where the intake tube was set up in a CAI configuration, which would solve my issue of intake length, the problem for me though then becomes getting my setup to actually go into the wheel well.

Back