I've got a PROBLEM

Turbo or Sound

• Focal kicks ass...more fun than a turbo anyd

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
I NEVER thought i would be the one to say this, but im thinking about not buying my turbo and putting in an insane sound system. YEAH, me.....the guy bent on showing the Camaros the Power of 4.

I went into CarToys today to LOOK at speakers, and the guy in the booth blew me away. I brought the Godskitchen Classic CD3 (the one with Punk and Madagascar that was posted a while back) and i have never heard that CD like I heard it today. TOTALLY AMAZING

Im thinking about dropping the turbo for this setup:

Focal 165v2 Component System (for the front)
Focal 165CA 2-way 6.5" Speakers (for the back)
MTX Thunder 5500 10" Subs
JL 300/4 300w Amp (for the speakers)
MTX Thunder 7801 1200w Amp (for the subs)

Ill probably reuse the box that i have my 2 10" Xplods in (Jensen Ported box)
I havent decided what head unit to go with, i just know im not going to keep my current xplod head unit (got it in a deal with the subs). I need something with an AUX IN so i can play stuff off my laptop if need be.

If you have never heard the Focal Speakers or the MTX subs, go to car toys now and listen...it will blow your mind...at least with trance.

I just dont know if that amazing sound is worth putting my tubo on hold again. I have about $1,800 saved right now, and if i get most of the stuff from Ebay stores that will be my price.

What do yall think? Turbo or Sound?

Also, if you can think of someone better the focal (JL, JBL, Eclipse and Alpine have already been nixed) please post it. Ill see if i can find a vendor that will let me listen to the stuff.

Focal is definitely very nice stuff! Just be careful of the fake Focal speakers on eBay... there have been some that have proved to be reproductions of real Focals that look legit down to the instruction sheet- but aren't real and don't sound anywhere near the real thing.

You could turbo the car, then street race for the money and buy the Focals... not that I would advocate street racing. :p

Which will you get more enjoyment from? Audio or turbo? The way I see it, more power will definitely put more smiles on your face, but you would get to use the full capabilities of your stereo system on a more regular basis than you would the turbo setup. Personally, I would go with the turbo- but I get to pick the best of both worlds, so I would just do both and not have to sacrifice one for the other. :p

I'd recommend amps other than MTX... Focals are great speakers...

If your goin stereo, do the focal speakers with the JL amp as mentioned, but then i'd run a JL amp w/ JL subs as well...

I don't know how you can mention MTX in the same list with focal. YOu can't do it. That's horrible.

But yeah, Focal is amazing stuff. Buy it if you can.

I really didnt like the way that the JL subs hit with trance. They sounded great when my buddy put in his rap CD, but the MTX subs went perfect with what i was listening too...might have been the focal speakers.

Any recommendation for head unit?

I have a pioneer now. It's ok, but old technology.

I'm going with the Alpine CDA-9854L, or atleast hope I get it for christmas like I want.

the only thing about car stereos is that if you blast it or tell alot of people you just bought a system, its more than likely will get stolen. thats the only real downfall of owning something like that unless you have a helluva alarm system for your car.

JL Audio stuff is really nice equipment. i had JL 6.5" 3 ways in my doors, JL 250/1 amp and 1 JL 10w3 dual voice coil sub in a box and it made my little EF hatch rock. put it this way, i made the pipes in the ceiling of a convenience store rattle it was hitting it so hard. i loved that system. i sold it with the car. i say go all JL but thats just me.

my vote is car stereo but get a good alarm system for it.

Having had both a car with a nasty system, and currently owning a car with a mediocre system that is very fast, i say go turbo.

im even thinking about going with a N/A setup now running nitrous. The goal is 300 N/A with the H22 and probably around 350-75 on gas...gotta see what my fuel setup looks like.

In the end i think it would be a lot cheaper and i would be a happier guy. Im not much for the strip, and a 300HP NA lude running nitrous would still be a force to be reconned with. Also if i run infield at TMS with that car id probably want NA for the response.

(I am talking about crank horsepower here not wheel)

Quoted post[/post]]
In the end i think it would be a lot cheaper and i would be a happier guy. Im not much for the strip, and a 300HP NA lude running nitrous would still be a force to be reconned with. Also if i run infield at TMS with that car id probably want NA for the response.

(I am talking about crank horsepower here not wheel)

300 hp NA wouldn't be a bad setup at all for TMS, but I still think that track is pretty large, and more power would always come in handy too- especially when you're playing with the Z06s on the back straight.

yeah...thats just unfair...but i just like havin fun, and as long as i beat my friends im okay...maybe just N2O on the strait.

most tracks that aren't straight have a ban nitrous. keep that in mind....

This is going to hurt to say but I agree with B you will be way happier with the turbo setup over the audio plus it's just a matter of time for the audio components to get stolen straight up.

Back