jdm b16a vs d16y7 vs b20 vtec mpg & hp/tq

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Clifford Ruck

Hey all new to the forum. Looking at getting back into a honda. basically what I'm looking for is something that gets good mpg but has a good amount of hp/tq so I'll try to leave out the obvious and try to keep it short. All of the following have I/H/E. I'm stuck between a 98 hatch d16y7 w/ y8 mani, 95 hatch b20 vtec, b20b block (built), 99 si trans, b16 head port and polish, 255 walbro fuel pump, 310 injectors, golden eagle cam gears and lastly a 92 civic coupe with a jdm b16a and gsr trans. More curious to what kinda mpg and hp/tq the b20 will put down, if I should consider it at all. Thanks

Welcome to the site.

clearly, the d16y is going to give you the best mpg. it will also be the slowest by far.

the b20vtec will net you the best power output, but also probably the worst MPG.

the b16 wth the gsr trans is probably the 'best mpg for the power'

Thanks for the reply. I figured the b16 was the best all-around for what I was looking for. Out of curiosity, happen to know what the ball park would be for the b20. Guarantee its better than my current ride.

The si tranny will turn high rpms at just cruising speed (probably ~4000 at 75mph) which kills the mileage a bit. i'd say, 25mpg? maybe a bit more or less depending on the tune.

The b16/gsr is probably also going to be the most reliable from a 'buying someone elses project' perspective. The b20/vtec has work done to it, and you don't know how good it was done.

If you have emissions in your area, that's another consideration too. the 96+ will use the obdII port most liekly, where as the obd1 92-95s will go on the rollers with a sniffer.

Emissions isn't a problem, so that's not a concern. 25 mpg is better than what I get now, but you do make a valid argument about the b20. I don't need to buying someone else's junk. Think I'll be going with the b16. Thanks for the help

Back