JGintake Manifold VS skunk2 intake manifo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Teambypass

I am currently run a JG intake manifold and people told me that I should go for the skunk2 which is better for all motor set up such as mine. Skunk2 manifold are designed to gain power from mid to high range whereas, JG manifold only gain power from 7000rpm to 10000rpm and lack power from low to mid range. anyone experience with skunk2 manifold? WHICH WOULD BE YOUR PREFERENCE IF YOU ARE RUNNING ALL MOTOR(price is not a factor in this decision)? SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS.Thanks.

How crazy of a build are you going to be making? If you're going all out- no holds barred- like looking for 250whp on a B block, then get the JG. If you're going with something milder, get the Skunk2.

wasn't their a dyno of the two somewhere, I think IB might have one

From what I remember, the JG makes better power waaaayy up top, and in turbo applications, and like Mike said the Skunk2 (ITR/CTR) is better for mild to well built N/A motors.

yeah, from what i remember the JG didn't show any huge gains on an NA until 8k RPM- so unless you're building a rev crazy motor, i would stick with the Skunk2

We should all stop using the world "JG" for that manifold. Its now called "edelbrock" and I don't think JG is at all involved in it anymore at all, they have their own.

I will tell you guys this.

I don't reccomend a Edelbrock manifold for any street car, ever, no matter how much horsepower. It just is horrid in the mid range.

I have tested it on alot of cars. Alot. And I will take a Type-R ported out and matched any day.

Its simply got too much volume for a street car, your torque suffers huge.

Jeff

Oem wins again huh? yes, and no

Well it does for all out reliability if your going to keep the stock rev limiter. Its cases where you have to raise the stock rev limiter and put high boost or compression on a motor where OEM fails beyond belief and is horrid.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I am curious, are you in anyway accociated with Importbuilder where I got my IB probe 12:3:1 pistons set and IB ultralite rods set from. This is "TOU" if you are, thanks a whole bunch! I really like how those pistons look on the block. pick comming soon hopefully dyno chart too! Anyone who want to trade my JGintake manifold for a skunk2 mani?

Originally posted by Teambypass@Apr 6 2004, 03:59 PM
Thanks Jeff, I am curious, are you in anyway accociated with Importbuilder where I got my IB probe 12:3:1 pistons

From his sig yO

My company, Import Builders
Proof our stuff works, Hundred of Dyno charts, reviews!
E-Commerce

tru, from my standpoint I prefer to make gains from 2k-8k, and I don't focus anymore on past 9k gains for NA, but then again it all depends on what you want.

jeff - do you by chance have a side by side comparision of the two? I thought I saw them either on your site, or import review??

so by the look sof this thread my JG(sorry edelbrock) mani is a bad idea?
B18B1(CTR .25 over on eagle rods, z10 block girdle, type r Water and oil pump)
GSr head(P n P, all skunk valve train including valves, stage 2 cams)

ITR header, 2.5" cat back.

looking to rev to 9.5k comfortably with 12.5-13:1 CR run on a stand alone.

should i switch to a type R or skunk2?

matt

also as an option, I posted a link in a previous post about making your own ITB's, but just another option.

me personally I would stick with the ITR unit, but if your going to be spending lots of time in the mid 8k's to upper 9k's in rpms, which you plan to do so, then you would want the JG unit, also check into the AEBS new IM,

no Edelbrock manifold for you, it won't work good at all on that 1.8 liter, and youll hate it.

And yes, we are all interested in hearing TEAMBYPASS's results with the 12.3's and the ultralight rods I sold you.

By all means, list your mods and post up a chart. we love it.

Jeff

Originally posted by Sergey P.A.@Apr 7 2004, 12:49 AM
isn't a ITR and Skunk2 same IM's ?

not quite
the skunk2 is a copy of the ITR but it is not exactly the same
it has slightly wider runners and flows a LITTLE better than the ITR manifold

the difference between the 2 is not worth it if you already have an ITR manifold
BUT
for those with an LS or GSR manifold it is a great idea
for those with a B16 manifold you would have to see what kind of price difference you can find between the ITR and skunk2... if the skunk2 is close to the price of the ITR manifold (within $50) then get the skunk2... otherwise the ITR will treat you well

the AEBS is a VERY good alternative to either from what i have been hearing
seems to be a very good design... longer plenum to counter starving the last runner... nice short flat fat runners
i dont think it is available for anything but the ITR / B16 heads though
10+ hp gains over the stock manifold, from 3000 - 8000 RPM on stock ITR with a cat back exhaust
and only costs about $165

ITR = $250 - $300
Skunk2 = $250 - 300

Back