Just got 91 Crx HF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Joka

Hey guys, Im loving this CRX, ITs my first day with it and after the test drive i fell in love, I went ahead and orderd a Full Apexi n1 exhaust setup and a coldair intake.

I really wanna do a swap within the next few days, Questions are what engine should i go with on the swap? Some friends said a b18, Some say b16. I really wanna have this car FlyNLow (My tag lol) Any comments/suggestions would be great, Also what am i looking at spending?

the question is how much do you have to spend first then we can give you some options

you have several options
d16a6, d16z6, d16y8, zc, b16, b18, b20, lsvtec, h22, k20
turbo - non turbo?

Honestly, Id have to say money is not an issue because im Head administrator at a huge company and built there Network, But i would not want to go over 2.5k-3k (including professional install).

Yes it will be turbo but prolly not right off the bat.

I just dont want to keep this little stock POS motor with 60 hp....

I would reccomend you get a B16 first gen, a easy swap with minor wiring to do and still affordable with plenty of power to be discovered. On the other hand talking turbo wise, a B18 is not a bad choice either..

I would never get another B16A.

Get a B18A, get the crank balanced. If you want an all motor beast, put B16 pistons in it with a B16 head and ITB's. The PR3 pistons should take your compression right around 11.5:1 :)

Does your HF have a resistor box?

If you stick to a LS motor and dont go vtec, build the head and get a good PnP and that thing will haul ass.

When I blow my B16, I am buying an LS to replace it, and hopefully my B16A head will still be good, I want to do lsvtec and boost it.

I have a friend with a LS in his del sol, and it pulled on my B16A crx si. He has an Si tranny and I have an LS trannythough...thast prolly why.

buy the b16...the tranny and head are better than an ls and a block is cheaper than a vtec head....

Yeah that will def. fit in your car with minor if any problems. Those are one of the easiest swaps to do. Just remember to get the linkages and the motor mounts tho.

get an LS..its cheaper than buying a b16...i bought my whole Crx (91 hf,with ls swap,i/h/e,cam gears,cross drilled slotted rotors,all disc brakes) for 1500..the same price of a damn b16..then i bought a spare LS motor for 300 dollars...people love to say the tranny of a b16 and head are better than an ls..but the block isnt..b16's have no torque...and ive beaten b16s pretty easily with my setup..if u go with the LS u have unlimited options...u can either keep the compression low and turbo it..or raise it,and go all motor with a vtec head..thats why people do ls vtec...and not Vtec/ls...because the ls motors have more displacement which equals more power...stick with b18's,whether its a gsr,or an ls...try to stay above 1.8 liters with honda.

Originally posted by CRXSI91@Jun 17 2005, 04:50 PM
get an LS..its cheaper than buying a b16...i bought my whole Crx (91 hf,with ls swap,i/h/e,cam gears,cross drilled slotted rotors,all disc brakes) for 1500..the same price of a damn b16..then i bought a spare LS motor for 300 dollars...people love to say the tranny of a b16 and head are better than an ls..but the block isnt..b16's have no torque...and ive beaten b16s pretty easily with my setup..if u go with the LS u have unlimited options...u can either keep the compression low and turbo it..or raise it,and go all motor with a vtec head..thats why people do ls vtec...and not Vtec/ls...because the ls motors have more displacement which equals more power...stick with b18's,whether its a gsr,or an ls...try to stay above 1.8 liters with honda.
[post=513511]Quoted post[/post]​

Thing is, Atleast this one.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000se...page&item=30007

Does not have as much HP as the one i was going to go with, Less Torque as well Cost way more money and Also Dont know if it fits because it says 94-01 models.

Originally posted by Joka+Jun 17 2005, 04:16 PM-->
@Jun 17 2005, 04:50 PM
[post=513511]Quoted post[/post]​

Thing is, Atleast this one.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000se...page&item=30007

Does not have as much HP as the one i was going to go with, Less Torque as well Cost way more money and Also Dont know if it fits because it says 94-01 models.
[post=513525]Quoted post[/post]​

i didnt know u wanted to get it from Hmotorsonline.com..if i had knew that i would have told u to get a GSR or b16.

if your getting an LS motor...get a USDM one..you will save hundreds of dollars..a usdm ls motor will run you anywhere from 300 to 500...then if your putting it in your hf crx..you will need mounts,shift linkage,and a tranny.

if your intent on buying it from hmotors..then just get a GSR or b16...

take my word for it..an LS motor might not have 160 hp or 180..but trust me (i have an HF crx..i would know) my car is far from slow..with just I/H/E i can pull on 5.0s,GSR's,SI's and whatever else your heart desires..its all on long term thinking...u might not have a lot of hp in the beginning,but look at it this way..u can ALWAYS find a way to make horsepower..its TORQUE that is the hardest thing to achieve..and with the ls platform..its already there...i dont know how many times,that ive jumped off the line,and thats what saved my ass from getting walked down....its all on what u want to do.

more than likely u want to find a 92 or 93 B18a...because the 90-91 ls motors only come with 130 hp..and then you will really be hurtin for power..even if u cant find one of those,and have to get a b18b..it will still work..just a few wiring modifications,and some things will have to be switched around (map sensor,vaccuums)if a h22 can fit into a crx..then a newer model b18 can too.

go with the b16,
get your wiring done from www.rywire.com, get your mounts and shift linkage from www.hasport.com, I think hmotors has a package of the motor, tranny, axles, and ecu, and you can add the hasoport mounts and shift linkage.

since you have a hf your going to need crx si axle hubs

here is a good write up on motor swaps for a crx www.droppedcrxsi.com both the b16 and the b18
droppedcrxsi is on this forum. hit him up he will help you out (he owns rywire)
plus rywire is running a special this month on wiring

So i wanna go ahead and get this b16, please tell me anything else i might need so i can pick it up and get this thing shipped. They offer this, What besides this do i need....

- Motor
- Cable Tranny (Y1, S1, J1)
- ECU (PR3, PW0)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shift Linkage*
- Stock Motor Mounts*
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed
- LSD Tranny (Optional +$300)

And I am getting the LSD trannyy.

You need new hubs i believe, the axles will not fit into your hf hubs, along with a wiring subharness for the b16 in hf, don't forget about little things you will need like a throttle cable bracket, thanks to ripperbone i got mine, and you can cut some of the sheathing off of the clutch cable in order for it to reach the lever,

There is no replacement for Displacement. LS is faster than a B16A in a CRX.

If you really want to regret this decision and get the B16A, follow ripperbone's advice. He told you exactly what needs to be done.

^^ Don't listen to him. Get the b16. If you feel that it is too slow, spend annother $500 and get a b18 block and ls/vtec kit.

You will need:
*89-91 CRX DX or Si hubs (89-91 EX ones and 90-91 integra ones work also, but with the teg ones you'll need bigger wheels because the teg brakes are bigger)
*Aftermarket mounts, I HIGLY suggest Hasport
*Shift Linkage (hasport also makes these)
*New Clutch, timing belt, water pump, and any other parts that need replacing

If you want any more help, I've done this swap, so hit me up.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Jun 21 2005, 09:49 AM
^^ Don't listen to him.  Get the b16.  If you feel that it is too slow, spend annother $500 and get a b18 block and ls/vtec kit.

You will need:
*89-91 CRX DX or Si hubs (89-91 EX ones and 90-91 integra ones work also, but with the teg ones you'll need bigger wheels because the teg brakes are bigger)
*Aftermarket mounts, I HIGLY suggest Hasport
*Shift Linkage (hasport also makes these)
*New Clutch, timing belt, water pump, and any other parts that need replacing

If you want any more help, I've done this swap, so hit me up.
[post=514765]Quoted post[/post]​

:ditto:
when I did my swap I replaced the rear main seal, the oil pan gasket, new clutch, new axle seals and new spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires. and a new valve cover gasket and also the cam seal.

Back