K24 from TSX vs K24 from CRV

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KeLeMi821

what's the difference between the K24 from the TSX and the K24 from the CRV? besides the fact that the TSX has 200 hp and the CRV has 160 hp... and which would probably be better to swap into one of our civics? i'm not planning on doing this anytime soon it's just for general knowledge and maybe i'll do it in the future when the price for k-series motors drops... also is there really an after market for these engines?

The TSX engine has higher compression and more likely a better head configuration, so you would want to use the TSX's K24 instead of the CRV's. You can swap a K20A2 head on if you want too.

Give the aftermarket some time- the B block had a good 12 years to build an aftermarket. The K isn't going to be nearly as large after only 3 years.

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 29 2004, 02:47 PM
The TSX engine has higher compression and more likely a better head configuration, so you would want to use the TSX's K24 instead of the CRV's. You can swap a K20A2 head on if you want too.

There heads are the same, there VTEC is different.

TSX has throttle by wire system you don't want to use its head or Intake manifold.

CR-V and TSX have the Same Crank, with a real performance head (k20A2).

CR-V would be the choice.

Originally posted by Soichiro-Honda+Apr 13 2004, 06:40 PM-->
@Mar 29 2004, 02:47 PM
The TSX engine has higher compression and more likely a better head configuration, so you would want to use the TSX's K24 instead of the CRV's.  You can swap a K20A2 head on if you want too.

There heads are the same, there VTEC is different.

TSX has throttle by wire system you don't want to use its head or Intake manifold.

CR-V and TSX have the Same Crank, with a real performance head (k20A2).

The CR-V and the TSX have the same head?

US TSX has EGR ports cast into it, and you can't bolt the RSX manifold to it without some modifications. You'd have to use the long runner TSX manifold.
Good thing about TSX it has true VTEC.

Ok, that makes sense. It still shouldn't matter if you're choosing to use the entire K20A2 head on top though, right? How close are the TSX / CR-V heads to the RSX-S head?

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 15 2004, 01:47 PM
1. It still shouldn't matter if you're choosing to use the entire K20A2 head on top though, right?

2. How close are the TSX / CR-V heads to the RSX-S head?

1. Yeah your right.

2.There different in headflow numbers, ports are dimensionally the same, but k24 flows less. What I mentioned up there k20A2 head does not have. TSX head flows more than the the CR-V.

1. Ok
2. So no EGR ports cast in and no throttle by wire on the K20A2 head right?

I was under the impression that the TSX short block would produce more compression than the CR-V's. I don't know the compression ratio of each off the top of my head, but I assume that the K24 bottom end off the TSX would still be the prime choice over the CR-V.

Are there any major structural differences between the CR-V and the TSX short blocks? I've read an article by Mike Kojima about how sturdy the TSX block is supposed to be, but I've never seen either K24 torn apart in person.

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 16 2004, 01:30 PM

2. So no EGR ports cast in and no throttle by wire on the K20A2 head right?

I was under the impression that the TSX short block would produce more compression than the CR-V's. I don't know the compression ratio of each off the top of my head, but I assume that the K24 bottom end off the TSX would still be the prime choice over the CR-V.

Are there any major structural differences between the CR-V and the TSX short blocks? I've read an article by Mike Kojima about how sturdy the TSX block is supposed to be, but I've never seen either K24 torn apart in person.

2. Right

3. There blocks are the same only difference is there pistons. Same stroke, and same bore but you know that.

Heres what I uploaded of the CR-V stock internals, but you prob. seen this already. Theres race design all over the motor, and when modded most likey it WILL show more Torque than H.P. or be very close within each other not far apart like older honda engines.
But when using a2 head or (True VTEC), it's best to use the Type-S or R oil pump.

The only thing I would use that comes with the TSX motor is the 6speed which has taller gears better for boost (which has a F.D. gear thats similar in # to the Type R), and the Trans. case is Magnesium something thats not mentioned for the type S or R.

s40805a79704f9.jpg

s40805b4381663.jpg

s40805b6ee09d2.jpg

s40805b93ea610.jpg

Thanks for posting up pictures!

Wow. That's an interesting setup for the A3 head. It almost looks like you could drop in the A2 valvetrain and just have to deal with VTEC oil plumbing issues- the cam support/journals/whatever look like they're all in the right place. I guess one lobe on the exhaust is easier than running two per cylinder with different followers.

I like the piston design. It looks like they did quite a bit more material removal than on the B series pistons. Less mass = more power.

hi i work for honda as a tech and i can help u. the k24 block is a great start for a hybrid engine . with a a2 head from a rsx type s (here in the states its all weve got)and a crv block you can create quite a bit of hp and torque . also with the low compession ratio (9:6:1) this swap is just begging for unnatural aspiration . there are a few things to work out like engine to hood clearance, the oil pump , the oil pans need to be switched, changing from 5 to 6 speed , ecu flash from hondata , you need a k20a2 water pump . the best thing for this swap is to have one of both engines so there is no problems with part availability.once all of these things are straitened out you can literally drop this thing in any honda that excepts the k sesies engine . if you have any more technical questions feel free to email me . hondp3@hondaswap.net :D

Originally posted by hondp3@Apr 26 2004, 03:58 PM
the best thing for this swap is to have one of both engines so there is no problems with part availability

lol, like we all have that kind of money, but in a world where honda motors were inexpensive, I'd be all over that.
So the k20a3's don't have real vtec? It totally looks like if you just swapped the a2 camshafts and rocker assemblies, you'd be kosher.

Yes, the A3 doesn't have "true" vtec. I didn't know this when I bought mine, now I wish I bought the Type-S, but I love the shifter in the SI. You can swap the entire vavletrain from a A2 to the A3, it fits perfect but you still end up about 10 hp or so under a stock A2.

10 hp less than the rsx-s? Is that with the type-s ecu and everything? Does the type-s head just flow better, or is there a compression difference b/n the si and thew type-s?

I believe there is a .5 compression ratio, the SI might be higher, I am not too sure. I am not too sure if you will lose 10 hp but I heard of a guy who did it, and dyno'd it and ended up with 10 WHP less than a stock type-S, but a lot of different dyno's give a lot of different readings with the new I-vtec, I have seen some dyno's losing only 5-10 WHP from the flywheel, others lose up to 30 so I can't be too sure. The new K-series is a very strange engine, I don't know much on the B-series, and am always learning new stuff on the K. My favorite thing about the K series is how responsive it is to bolt-on's. I hear domestics fan's say well I get 20 WHP with just an intake, and I can say well so can the Type-S. I LOVE IT!!!

Here is a good link for some inconsistency on the dyno's, very frustrating as you can tell.

Superchargers.

Back