KYB

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
After three weeks of driving on blown stock struts, my KYB GR-2's are on and running smooth. Cornering is great and so was the price. $240 for all four =)
Anyone else using GR-2's? I didn't go with AGX because I'm too lazy to readjust them and didn't have the cash or good enough springs to take advantage of them.
grs.JPG

nice. i need new shocks for my front. the rear struts were just replaced a few weeks ago, don't know the brand for sure yet, but my mechanic usually sticks kyb's on there. my front ones have like 200,000 miles on them, but they aren't that bad. no bouncing, just very loud and harsh over bumps.

Shaved the corners on the a-arms, so now my whole strut assembly has some range to move. But now my car is riding lower, what gives?

aftermarket shocks are usually shorter.... hence the lowering

strange... my yellows are about 3/4 shorter than oem.

so the car is sitting lower with the same springs as before?
must be the settings of dampening

I'm tossing the Matrix springs today, and when I put on the second stock spring back on the strut, the spring compressor jams halfway through. One slides and shoots off, nearly killing me, leaving one compressor on there bend the spring. I can't get the second spring off, and since the spring is bent over, it latches on to the socket and won't get off. I search all over for another socket so that i can get the second compressor back on and straighten the spring out, and after i find the socket and start getting the other compressor on, it shoots off again. Third time i put it back on, the compressor jams. Bent threads or something. I spend 2 hours trying to get the Matrix spring off the strut, uncompressing it, compressing the OEM spring, having it pop off twice, and finally start throwing the spring at the ground, hoping the compressor will come off. Eventually I start hitting it with tools, and nothing ever happend. I got the good compressor off, and the second i just started twisting sideways and if flew off, nearly hitting me and having the spring flip back and almost cut my fingers off.
I have not having air tools or matching sockets or fuggin working spring compressors.
I am pissedoffAccord

Damn, dont fuck around with springs. If you don't have the right tool for them pay someone to do it. I had a spring compressor fly off on me, lucky the 2nd one caught the spring from flying or I might not be typing this now. After that I went to a garage and had them do it. I was helping a friend do his springs, I didn't want to die working on a merkur :ghey:

im a firm believer in getting both at the same time... and that way you don't have to deal with taking off the shit from the car

Both of them were on, the springs were crap remember?
I am definately paying to get the Ground Controls on in the spring.

BTW, the third time I compressed the sprig today, the slid and i have to start all over again. and i'm missing a big chunk of my thumb because i wrench slipped.

i'm not sure what you are using but my advise is to use a 2 or 3 jaw compressor and buy a good quality pair of mechanic's glooves. they help alot, trust me!

Fairly good. On Nopi you can buy them really cheap. Like under $200 for the set. Very nice non-adjustable struts if you're not the serious auto-x er

f*ck spring compressors, they only make the job harder, we seriously just use a damn towel and never have any problems

What springs are you running with them? You wouldn't happen to know how they ride with stock springs, would you?

Guys check www.tirerack.com for the GR-2s. They're actually the cheapest vendor for the application I was looking for... all 4 for an 88 Civic sedan are only $152 for the set of 4.

I just looked it up- full set for a 95 Civic Sedan (me) is $204, and $220 for a full set on a 2000 Civic EX Coupe.

Originally posted by Baker@Oct 29 2002, 11:43 AM
f*ck spring compressors, they only make the job harder, we seriously just use a damn towel and never have any problems

umm, how do you do this, please explain :)

Originally posted by B16+Oct 29 2002, 04:52 PM-->
@Oct 29 2002, 11:43 AM

F@%! that! Do this if you feel like loosing a body part! I always use my spring compressors. Cause you never know what could happen. This could cause you to end up selling your manual car for an automatic because you lost your hand.

Originally posted by knowledge+Oct 30 2002, 05:00 AM-->
Originally posted by B16@Oct 29 2002, 04:52 PM
Baker
@Oct 29 2002, 11:43 AM

F@%! that! Do this if you feel like loosing a body part! I always use my spring compressors. Cause you never know what could happen. This could cause you to end up selling your manual car for an automatic because you lost your hand.

:werd:

Be safe guys- use the right tools and the proper protection. I slashed my left wrist open because I didn't have the right extension on my ratchet... and I see too many people at work getting hurt because they're using shortcuts instead of going to get the right tools.

Play it safe guys- losing a finger, eye, or something else isn't worth the few minutes you save by taking shortcuts.

Back