Labtops

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigJ

I'm just about that action Boss.
VIP
Ok. So I'm looking for a good labtop and spending at most 1400. I want something extremely reliable, light, and semi-powerful. It will not be a desktop replacement, but will be used occasionally to do some photoshop and for rendering programs.

So far, I'm looking at a Gateway M250X and a Dell Inspiron 6000. They're both about 1350 and are highly reviewed.

Anyone else know of a good solid labtop I could take a look at? I'm not going to be making this purchase until around Early august as I have to work out the kinks in my paying for college balance.

never liked gateway. get the 3yr warranty with dell because i hear they like to fall apart.

i would look into an apple, ibm, toshiba, or sony.

Care to elaborate on the not liking gateway?

I'm getting a 4 year warranty with whatever computer I buy, just because I'll be in college for 4 years.

Do you have personal experience with any of those brands? From my experience, toshiba is middle of the road for stuff, but isn't great, but isn't horrible, and IBM and Sony are overpriced....

Averatec 3200 series. Loaded with features at an excellent price. Its an ultraportable... 4lbs total weight, 1 inch thick closed. I have no complaints with mine at all.

Runs Linux great too ;)

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Jun 24 2005, 08:28 PM
get the 3yr warranty with dell because i hear they like to fall apart.
[post=516225]Quoted post[/post]​

either you had a bad experience or i have had great ones. used to use my grandmothers dell laptop that was old as hell, but still did things fast imo and now i have a latitude d800. i love it. i have heard people down talk dells but as long as mine are flawless, i like them.

plus their tech support is not completely overseas either, so you can be transfered to someone who speaks english as a first language.

Ive never owned any brand name computers because my brothers built them. But ive had friends that own or have owned the mentioned brands. Dells tend to have a lot of problems from the 3 ive seen. I help the fix it. Another really likes her toshiba because shes dropped it a few times and still runs like a champ. Havent known anyone to own a Sony beacuse yeah they are friggin expensive. Nor do i kno anyone that owns an apple. My cousin had an IBM that ran forever without problems.

I dont like Gateways because my own owned one and i was constantly fixing it. Bad drives, mobos, etc... And our high school had them and it consistantly locked up and froze. Switched over to Dell.

Either way, when ur buying a laptop, its good to get a warranty for however long ur planing to keep it. Because broken laptops are way expensive to fix. A Desktop mobo is like 100 for a really good one. A laptop costs in the excessive of 300.

Good info to know.

Anyone else have any info on labtops? I've been living it up at notebookreview.com.

I don't know a lot about them, but I abused a HP Pavilion for a couple years, held up ok.

sony viao held up exceptionally well.

I got it for WAY under retail. Actually I was buying shit for an auction and I found it in a $50 bin. I used it for a few weeks, took it on a road trip, then sold it for $1100.

I've used dells that have endured way more abuse then they should have with 10-20 people abusing it a day. I'm going to leave out the place where I was using these but they were literally pushed off tables numerous times and never had a problem.

I had an IBM. I hated that thing with a passion, I had to replace the HD a couple times and the CD-ROM drive once. I gave it away.

I'm also looking for a rediculously cheap one now. I'm going to need one for school and just because I want one in general.

John, you talking about the HP you sold to Khalid, our Iraqi interpreter?

You scandalous money-whore B)

Originally posted by Outlandish_Bandit@Jun 27 2005, 01:24 AM
John, you talking about the HP you sold to Khalid, our Iraqi interpreter?

You scandalous money-whore B)
[post=516716]Quoted post[/post]​

I told him it was all fucked up :)

it's "laptop" btw :) cuz they are small enough//light enough to fit on your lap.

i just bought an HP pavillion zv6000 laptop.. came with an amd athelon 64 3200+ (2.0gm) 100gb hard drive, a raedon 200m(equivelent to thier 9200 series i think) with a 15.4" widescreen, dvd/cd burner for $1249, with $200 in mail in rebates.

overall i'm very happy with it and it burns dvd's like a champ :)

Originally posted by sLuShBoXtEgGy+Jun 25 2005, 12:54 AM-->
endlesszeal
@Jun 24 2005, 08:28 PM
get the 3yr warranty with dell because i hear they like to fall apart.
[post=516225]Quoted post[/post]​

either you had a bad experience or i have had great ones. used to use my grandmothers dell laptop that was old as hell, but still did things fast imo and now i have a latitude d800. i love it. i have heard people down talk dells but as long as mine are flawless, i like them.

plus their tech support is not completely overseas either, so you can be transfered to someone who speaks english as a first language.
[post=516285]Quoted post[/post]​

the old ones were good. the new dell shit sucks.

Back