Lca Bolts broke

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98integrals

well... tomorrow will be day 5 of me not having my car in working order. and i thought this would take like 4 hours :unsure:.

well here is the problem-

BOTH of my rear lower control arm bolts (lca) that connect shock to lca are broke. The honda dealer only had 1 for an SI (same as the tegs) so i pray that the normal civics will work. and cause they broke i need to get new bushings and of course NO one around here has them, so i gotta go on a major road trip 2morrow (thank god i have another car) to get some shocks and bushings

we also fucked up one of my shocks. now this wouldnt be a big deal but i dont have the $$ to get a new one so... fuck.

so ive killed-
2 14mm sockets
2 LCA bolts
1 socket wrench
1 shock

and the list is growing.

pics when i get done

Jack, that sucks to hear. Before I attempt to put my teins on, I am going to go to honda and buy 4 or 5 bolts.

Hopefully you get them done before the autoX

welcome to the club man, i broke two 12mm sockets when i did my MPFI swap... Car shit always takes longer than it is supposed to...

collin-

ive decided to not drive my car in the autox on sunday :( . too much shit has gone wrong in the last 5 days, last thing i want is to be stuck an hour from home with out a way to get back, i prolly wont even drive it down to tell you the truth, but i will still be there man, just look for the 3 tegs and ill be there.

this sucks, im goin up to Grand Rapids (an hour) to get my bushings, then over to ann arbor (2hours) to get some shocks from a friend for free (thank god)

is there anyway a bushing from an SI would work on the LS?

the acura dealer here is being fucking gay and i dont really want to drive the hour there and then back just to get rapped on the price of a bushing. the local honda dealer doesnt have any but there are like 4 honda dealers on the way to where im getting my shock from so between them they gotta have 2 (riiiiight)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 4 2003, 03:08 PM
how the fuck did you break a shock?

Caution:Amateurs working.jpg

if you cant get it off, use a hack saw :lol:

havent you guys ever heard of penetrating lubricants? damn ive done a shit load of suspensions and never had shit break.

It also depend on where your from. Jack is from michigan, here the road crews see that it snowed an inch, they drop an inch of salt on top of it.

Jack, when you finally are ready to put eveything back together, use anti seize on all of the bolts. 2 years down the road you'll be happy you did.

I live in Canada! It snows 6 months outa the year
I have worked on a ton of cars never broke a bolt or a socket (penetrating lube and lifetime warranty tools =) )

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 4 2003, 03:08 PM
how the fuck did you break a shock?

Caution:Amateurs working.jpg

fucked up shock

ive gone thru a can of PB plaster so dont give me shit about not using lube.the bushings/bolts are all fucked thanks to the michigan winters.hell, even the top of my shock was rused, so we cut it off.

i will have more pics 2morrow

and collin- the car wont be ready for the autox for sure now.

Damn I just put some KYB;s on my 95 Civic. Well Three out of four isn't bad right?
The passenger rear one is so freaking in there, I broke one Taiwan Co 14 mill socket and the damn bolt is starting to strip, hasn't completely, but starting too.
Any suggestions on how to prevent the damn thing from stripping completely or is it too late?? Sorry to jack your thread but maybe answers will help us both.
What's the best kind of penetrating lube?? How long should I soak it?

PB blaster

its like $4.99 per can, get it and let it sit for a while.

ok i got the old bushings out, working on gettin the new ones in right now

i am all about life time warrenty tools, the two 12mm socket i broke were both Snap on sockets, so i had to chase down a snap on truck and got 2 new ones... :D

Thank god for the lifetime warranty. I broke 1 1/2 ratchet, and like 3 3/8s deep sockets from craftsman last asummer alone, thank the cheater bar. And those aren't counting all the screw drivers I broke the handles on.

you guys need to invest in some penetrating lubricant. You can't just yard off suspension bolts, lol. Craftsmen's warranty is well abused though. :)

I ran into the same prob this weekend on my 93 hatch. Broke 2 sockets, and both bolts. The Honda dealer near me only had 1 bolt so i have regular grade 8 in there till thhey get anohter one. I ended up cutting the old shocks and bolts off with an angle grinder and the banged out 1 bolt and had to drill the other(pain in the ass)....but with my new H&R springs and kyb shocks..its all worth that agravation.

At least you got all your stuff put on...tomorrow Im going to soak that bolt to death, and hope it comes off without stripping. But when I do strip it, how do you go about drilling the bolt out??? One more freaking strut...then its test drive city woohoo. :ph34r:

Back