Left turn signal affecting temp gauge

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jtb

Been working on my 88 rex with a d16y7 swap. First off, I didn't do the swap, but I have been making some corrections.
I've been working through the problems one by one on my own, and using the hondaswap search function. All the past posts have been extremely helpful so far.

I wasn't able to find any information on my most recent find. When I use my left turn signal, the temperature gauge bounces from normal operating temp to overheated temp. It also activates the "high beam on" light. The light goes on and off with the turn signal. It is not, however, activating the actual high beams.
I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this specific problem, or if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this. I have yet to pull apart the dash completely, but it is high on my list(its raining today, and no garage). Any advice on what I should check first? I'm thinking a bad ground, crossed un- shielded wires, or a bad cluster(I really hope not).

Thanks.
-j

i would look into grounding wires as a possibility but doubtful also the wiring for the actually swap from dpfi to mpfi may be the cause i would go over the wiring https://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/dpfi-mpfi-writeup-49557/ to make sure its all correct also may be an issue with the blinker assembly? but that wouldn't make sense of why it affects temp gauge, seriously looking into the dpfi to mpfi swap wiring i know my car i did had couple faulty wires causing my temp gauge to go to hot and make the car start to buck i am assuming fail safe for the car...just my thoughts

Your problem is a little box on the back of the cabin fuse box. It controls everything in the car. I had a problem with no signals, fuel, temp, high beam indicator and it turned out to be this. You'll have to pop it out and replace it with another. There is a section with pics in my build thread. Make sure to get the right one if you have intermittent wipers.

the little gray box fixed the problem. Thanks Korax.

now onto the next problem..

Back