Let me know what you think

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AllGoNoShow

New to these forums but seems like a group of knowledgable honda enthusaists so I want to see what you guys would think.

We got a 90 Civic HB which we are going to turn into a Drag only car. I was thinking to do somethign a ltitle different though. IN what way you ask? Look at all of the Drag only cars out there, built to shit, driven on the trailer and back off down thr strip then taken back home, optimized for the best power out there with the bext technology/displacement.

Ofcourse I want the most power but I was thinking of doing somethign a little less common. Supercharged D Series, obveously would be built, that isn't a question, but block woudl remain relatively stock *possibly bored depending on the condition* would be supercharged with either a Jackson kit or a Custom kit *would have to look into a seperate supercharger but they are out there*. and maybe on the juice aswell.

Fully stripped with seats guages and shifter. MB Products is going to be supplying the one piece Fiberglass front end with relatively stock mounting points but that won't matter, will take some weight off the front end.

As the car sits right now, no front bumper brackets or mounts, dead engine, half stripped intertior, ready to start work on this winter which we will be doing.

I was wodnering if you guys think I am completely crazy or if you think it is a cool concept?

I'm more of a muscle guy but all my buddies are import guys, they just aren't that quick right now so I want to build something up to show them it can be done and do somethign of my own to progress my abilities.

I was thinking about how many supercharged D series are out there pulling good numbers on the quarter and I coudln't find many so I think it will be a fun build up.

Now... Why the D series? Because it seems NO one wants them these days, they are all into the B series and beyond, so there are tons of blocks, dirt dirt cheap *free* and if you ruin one it isn't an issue picking up another and fixing your mistakes. Another reason, not many supercharged D series out around and kicking. Third, the Car is free, the engine is free, the labour will mostly be free *myself and a buddy*, its only the parts, and as I work at a Motorsports shop and have hookups around town I can get them discounted aswell.

Let me know what you guys think, and if you just plan on bashing, please leave, constructive critisim only!

hmmmmm jackson sc's suck balls. you wont see ver ymuch power from a sc'ed d series. My suggestion would be to ditch the sc idea and go turbo. lol turbo may be complicated since youre a muscle car guy (im kidding) you can get some very good power if you get the right parts, and tune it right. you can make your own kit from second hand parts and new parts for roughtly 1500 bucks. ofcourse if you said you are going to build this motor, so id say youre looking to spend around 4k. get a turbo somewhere in the high 50's for size, bullet proof your motor, get it tuned well and call it a day. remember its all about your tune. check out the 345whp turbo d series in the auto-multi media forum.

all n all, you wont get good numbers from a sc'ed d series.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Aug 17 2005, 04:47 PM
hmmmmm jackson sc's suck balls. you wont see ver ymuch power from a sc'ed d series. My suggestion would be to ditch the sc idea and go turbo. lol turbo may be complicated since youre a muscle car guy (im kidding) you can get some very good power if you get the right parts, and tune it right. its all about your tune. check out the 345whp turbo d series in the auto-multi media forum.

all n all, you wont get good numbers from a sc'ed d series.
[post=541473]Quoted post[/post]​

I guess I forgot to mention that aswell, the other reaosn I was looking into SC'd D series, every man and his dog has a turbo'd civic.

Whats your reasons for not getting good numbers from an SC'd D series?

because youre limited by engine rpm and the size of pulleys you can use. Its almost like hondas dont like sc's, there is a reason why people use turbos.....take advantage of what a honda is good at, high revs.

Well size of pullys aren't an issue, knowing people who run a machine shop custom make pullys for my buddies GTP all the time. I could spend 4g in pullys to find the best one but that isn't a reason of why I shouldn't go with SC'd D series. I need concrete information and knowledge not vauge information.

Oh yah, don't get me wrong, turbo'd civics can be quick as shit to be this might just be an idea to bring the SC'd crowd out more if its possible. And it isn't because of resources either, we have a d series turbo manifold sitting around aswell.

Originally posted by allbottledup@Aug 17 2005, 05:04 PM
What kind of psi are you talking about for the SC?
[post=541484]Quoted post[/post]​

Not entirely sure yet too be honest, being race only I don't need to worry about streetability so depending on the power we end up making and how I build the engine, will determine the boost levels.

From what I have heard the stock cranks are good for 400hp, what about the stock blocks, what power levels, boost levels can they take stock?

well i know turbo i wouldnt push 8psi but some have gone more without problems. superchargers i have no idea. never really interested in them. the results werent great when everyone had them and it sucks not to be able to change boost on the fly. i know thats not a problem because you said its a track only car. As for cranks no clue with d series but b series people are running upto 1000hp on stock ones.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Aug 17 2005, 06:52 PM
because youre limited by engine rpm and the size of pulleys you can use. Its almost like hondas dont like sc's, there is a reason why people use turbos.....take advantage of what a honda is good at, high revs.
[post=541477]Quoted post[/post]​

More or less...

The biggest downfall to JR superchargers is the fact that if you add a smaller pulley for more boost, you're eventually going to end up sheering the teeth on the charger.

I've seen pictures of people's JRSC with a 14psi pulley. The teeth were completely sheered to the point that the SC was just spinning but not making any positive pressure. So putting a JRSC on the civic is great for low boost, with mid and INSTANT power. But if you start getting greedy and want more power, the cheapest way is to just rip out the SC and turbocharge the engine.

I still planned on a JRSC for the Si, and nobody is going to tell me otherwise... but there are limitations that you'll come face to face with before you will with any turbo setup.

Originally posted by AllGoNoShow@Aug 17 2005, 06:49 PM
I guess I forgot to mention that aswell, the other reaosn I was looking into SC'd D series, every man and his dog has a turbo'd civic.

[post=541475]Quoted post[/post]​

There's a reason everyone turbos D series motors. A supercharger uses around 20-30hp just to spool, and on a D series that's a good 1/8 or so of your power. A friend of mine had a mini-me with a JRSC on it, and it blew balls.

Stock B16 > SC'd D series anything

Originally posted by civicious+Aug 17 2005, 05:14 PM-->
AllGoNoShow
@Aug 17 2005, 06:49 PM

[post=541475]Quoted post[/post]​

There's a reason everyone turbos D series motors. A supercharger uses around 20-30hp just to spool, and on a D series that's a good 1/8 or so of your power. A friend of mine had a mini-me with a JRSC on it, and it blew balls.

Stock B16 > SC'd D series anything
[post=541492]Quoted post[/post]​

Well it won't be B series unless I get one donated.

I guess I will have to look into this a little more now that you mention the teething issue. Personally i haven't used a Jackson SC only heard small things about them. And I love the instant/always there power, so I guess depending on my gearing, rpm, engine, pully I would have to see what rpm I would be spiinnin at the end of the track with to see if it was worth while.

As everyone knows, boost #'s aren't the only thing in the FI world.

Although having this Turbo manifold lying around makes things much easier if I decide to go turbo route aswell, so its not like I am stuck on SC but I think it would be interesting to make it different and quick and powerful.

the only supercharger kit i ever saw with good number was the vortec. Buts it only for the b16 and s2000. From what i heard about it is they had to do alot of work to the motor and blew several developing that kit. Supposedly they even had to run larger fuel lines.

no matter what your going to do someone else has done it. learn from other peoples mistakes,there is a reason no one builds d-series for serious drag cars

Originally posted by sireg@Aug 17 2005, 09:33 PM
no matter what your going to do someone else has done it. learn from other peoples mistakes,there is a reason no one builds d-series for serious drag cars
[post=541545]Quoted post[/post]​

I beg the differ...there is quite a few people that build d series for drag cars so dont' star dissing D-series...they are what was MADE in honda FIRST...anyways back to the topic...you can get quite a bit of HP out of D-series motors if you build them up...turbo wise...I think would be your best bet and on your comment about everyone having a turbo'd civic...yes but how many of them are running turbo on a SOHC motor? not to many.....and sohc is so much more cost effective...you only need ONE camshaft...ONE camgear thats saves loads of money right there...but I would go turbo and not SC....my buddy is actually SCing a GSR in his rex he isn't finished yet but I will have to see what that runs to change my mind on SC's

Ok, there's a reason noone builds SUPERCHARGED d-series drag cars.

If you're deadset on a supercharger, just get a turbo, only boost 5 pounds, and drive around with your A/C on.

:thumbsup:

Ok for one, it seems that soem of you think this may be a SERIOUS ALL OUT DRAG CAR THATS WINNING EVERYTHING IN ITS PATH. Well it won't be, its our first Drag Strip ONLY car, and as with any project car it will never be the same by the time its crashed or sold it will be a way different engine most likely.

By the looks of it and talking with my buddy again we may just stick with turbo instead of SC, that way if we want to we can build this baby and make it our steady trakc car then if we wished ot test parts before we could throw them on the DD"s then we coudl throw it on the drag car and see if there was any differences in times/power so we may just go the turbo route, espcially since we got most of the stuff lying around already.

straight up- if you want to build a drag-only car, get a rule book.... and figure out what class you want to run in.

don't build a car, then see where you fit in. you'll hate life if you do it this way. build with the guidelines in mind.

I can't name 1 classing that is d-series only or b-series only... so really, why bother?

head over to nasa/nhra/nda or whatever drag league you want to get into, and get a rule book.

There was a Supercharged white civic coupe with full interior running high 12s if i remember correctly.
It was last year at one of the SCO events at firebird.
license plate said ZPRCHRG
That is pretty fast, you could do alot better with less money, but prove us wrong B)
I have nothing against D series, or single cams, and i completely agree with the cost effectiveness issue you mentioned.

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Aug 18 2005, 06:04 AM
There was a Supercharged white civic coupe with full interior running high 12s if i remember correctly.
It was last year at one of the SCO events at firebird.
license plate said ZPRCHRG
That is pretty fast, you could do alot better with less money, but prove us wrong B)
I have nothing against D series, or single cams, and i completely agree with the cost effectiveness issue you mentioned.
[post=541703]Quoted post[/post]​

yes becuase everyone knows if a B-series breaks and your were hurting to save for that B your FUCKED! its just alot easier to use D's for turbos and what not becuase if they blow its not that hard to get ahole of another one...and they CAN put out good numbers...think about it..its also a little lighter then a B-series so interia plays a role too

Back