Lets talk Short shifters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
long story short...I am in the market for a quality short shifter. The only other one I have ever ran is the straight B & M shifter on my rex. I love the feel and quickness of it. I have driven a buddys eg hatch with a skunk2 dual bend, but it seems still kinda long for my liking. Now, I know skunk2 makes a single bend shifter. Is anyone out in HS land using it? do you like it? any other recomendations as far a brands (quality)? LMk what you all think...

skunk2 single bend is bad ass.

and please, don't confuse the HEIGHT of the shifter with the throw.

remeber, ABOVE the pivot point is leverage.
below, is the actual length of the throw.

|
|
|
|
()
|
|

say thats a normal shifter-- 4 up, 2 below.

if i buy one that is

|
|
|
|
|
()
|

5 up and 1 below, it will appear taller, but the throw is reduced.

taller = good.

why? because its close to your steering wheel, and hand movements are quick and precise fro the shifter back to 3 o'clock.

unless youre a G-funk era rider who drives witht he left-hand on the wheel and the right hand on the shifter, i think you will be more than hapyp with the skunk2.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 17 2005, 02:59 PM

unless youre a G-funk era rider who drives witht he left-hand on the wheel and the right hand on the shifter, i think you will be more than hapyp with the skunk2.
[post=541355]Quoted post[/post]​

hey i drive with one hand on each!!!!!
Also check out DC sports, even though they have droppped the ball over the last year or so, the shifter is a great mix between throw length and hight.

I have the DC Sports short shifter installed and I'm pretty happy with it but I have never used the Skunk2 shifter so I can't really compared the difference between the 2. It does sound to me though that the Skunk2 would be the best when you really think about it. I myself was going to get the Skunk2 double bend before the DC shifter was given to me as a gift, and I'm still thinking about giving the Skunk2 a shot. But all in all the DC shifter did make a noticable difference IMO.

I got the skunk2 dual but it kept rubbing on the top of my exhaust piping so i took it out. IM gonna try putting it on again cause it was very nice. Maybe ill weld some of the linkage off and lower the piping somehow.

running a C's short shifter i got with my swap, stock height great shift

G-funk rider all the way. I guess I don't have enough torque in my stock B16 to worry about keeping both hands on the wheel. I've recently gotten the hang of shifting in the middle of a turn too, so two hands is out the window.

I picked up a billet two bend for a pennie on ebay and a 1.99 shipping. its held up for over 6 months and i get on it really hard

if you get a quality made shifter and its too tall for you, you can shorten the height. there are articles on it all over the place. I was using a dc...I had no problems with it, except it hit my exhaust so I had to hang the exhaust lower.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 17 2005, 11:59 AM
oh, and fuck B&M. worst 50 bucks i ever spent before i replaced it with the skunk2
[post=541356]Quoted post[/post]​

that goes to show you that the regular B&M isn't made that well, thats why i dicided against it and went with the full race B&M for aroun $150. its mucho better B, i bet if you tried it out, you might consider it. its very smooth, and has a very short throw. it was CAD designed, same program i use at work. so i know it was worth teh money.

pro edge shifter

regular crap shifter

notice the replacement shift boot w/ teflon bushings. the regular B&M doesn't have that, thats the difference between what you felt and what you should feel.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 17 2005, 03:59 PM

:concur:

I love mine , best investment yet.

Matt I have a Streamline Racing short shifter also known as SRP and I really like it, it's really short and I have the energy suspension shifter bushing kit the throw feels great, but I have never tried the Skunk2 so I am no help as usual.

Originally posted by integraslut78@Sep 26 2005, 02:24 PM
Matt I have a Streamline Racing short shifter also known as SRP and I really like it, it's really short and I have the energy suspension shifter bushing kit the throw feels great, but I have never tried the Skunk2 so I am no help as usual.
[post=560572]Quoted post[/post]​

Its ok, loser.

Im still rocking the stock one!!!

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 17 2005, 02:59 PM

|
|
|
|
()
|
|

say thats a normal shifter-- 4 up, 2 below.

if i buy one that is

|
|
|
|
|
()
|

5 up and 1 below, it will appear taller, but the throw is reduced.

taller = good.

why? because its close to your steering wheel, and hand movements are quick and precise fro the shifter back to 3 o'clock.

Anyone else notice that that was completely bass-ackwards?

i have a skunk2 single bend for a civic in my del sol
i LOVE it

the del sol already has a really short shifter arm with a pretty short throw

the skunk2 actually raised my shifter up about 2-3 inches closer to the wheel making for a very functional shifter for real performance driving use
it also kept about the same throw making it less harsh on the synchros
shifting is smooth and easy and has a very positive engagement (a lot of this i am sure is from the skunk2 shift knob that weighs almost a full pound)

if you are looking for a shifter that will give you more functionality i highly reccomend the skunk2
if you are looking for one of those stupid shifters that tucks the shift knob all low in the boot and gives you 1/4 inch throw between gears it probably isnt the right one for you

oh just to note this, incase people actualy search shifters...

Do not buy an apc shifter, they are crap. I have broken 2. (i thought the first one was a fluke, but it wasnt)

I know it should go without saying, but you see them on ebay for 99 cents, and they are not worth the drive home from the track in only 3rd gear. (or 4th, or whatever you put it in)

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Sep 26 2005, 06:47 PM
i have a skunk2 single bend for a civic in my del sol
i LOVE it

the del sol already has a really short shifter arm with a pretty short throw

the skunk2 actually raised my shifter up about 2-3 inches closer to the wheel making for a very functional shifter for real performance driving use
it also kept about the same throw making it less harsh on the synchros
shifting is smooth and easy and has a very positive engagement (a lot of this i am sure is from the skunk2 shift knob that weighs almost a full pound)

if you are looking for a shifter that will give you more functionality i highly reccomend the skunk2
if you are looking for one of those stupid shifters that tucks the shift knob all low in the boot and gives you 1/4 inch throw between gears it probably isnt the right one for you
[post=560739]Quoted post[/post]​

I dunno, E, I installed the single bend Skunk2 in the sol, and the shifting, albeit smoother, felt like it was longer then the OEM one. The Skunk2 was LONGER than the OEM one, but like B said, it could be 4 feet tall, it depends on where the actual throw is. If I remember correctly, the throw was also slightly higher than the OEM one. For what it's worth, I sold the Skunk2, and kept the OEM one...Very rarely do the synchros get fucked up with a Honda shifter than an aftermarket one. :)

Back