Liiiinspire

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
i downloaded it for free (NOT THE LIVE VERSION) from linspire.com and i unRAR'd it and burned it to a cd but it didnt boot. i followed the fucking directions. ive tried it in 2 different PCs and still no dice. i want this OS installed, like ASAP. :)

Did it uncompress as an ISO file? If not, you might have a bit of trouble. I assume the directions told you to set up Nero or whatever burninating program you use to burn it as a bootable disc.

Are you sure that your PCs are set up to boot from CD? Check the bios settings. Some computers actually have it turned off or set to the third option for some ungodly reason.

Ok...

Open winRAR, on teh top menu click options > settings > integration. Now uncheck ISO.

Now open Nero (or you other preferred burner) and burn image to a CD/DVD whatever. Don't use option to make bootable disc, the ISO is bootable.

If it still gives you shit, you can DL a check the end5sum or SHA1sum, or whatever they use. I f you need it I can link you, or Sabz probably can too. If that fails, I have a copy of 4.5 I can get to ya.

better????

depends on how you look at it

linspire is fucking EASY!!!!!!!!

everything is pretty much retard proof

its a great system for people who want to run linux but dont want to get into the underside of it

everything is very easy to do

i run it and i love it

its not the most powerful linux flavor out there but it is probly the easiest

for someone who just wants something that works well and doesnt have the bullshit issues you have to deal with when running winBLOWS i highly reccomend it

for hard core bastards looking for something they can tinker with and tweek out its probly not the best choice

ehhh... linux is decidedly easier to remove than windows, so if I don't like fedora 4 I'll probably try linspire

The difference between them is...do you want to learn how to use Linux, or, just use Linux? In many ways FC4 is easier because you are more in control, if something screws up will know why, because you did it :)

Another good distro to look at as far as being Desktop friendly is Xandros, very slick, ships with mp3/wma support (something you have to add to FC4, easily enough though), or Kubuntu, Ubuntu. Good thing is Eric uses Linspire, I use FC4, Sabz uses Gentoo, and there's others too, so there's not a lot you'll run into that won't have an answer. Plus community support is great with FC4, and Gentoo, don't know about Linspire.

theres a forum on the linspire site that is pretty helpful... and if you dont get an answer on the forum you can just send linspire an email.... they get back you you pretty quickly (within 24 hours)

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 12 2005, 08:13 AM
do you want to learn how to use Linux, or, just use Linux?
[post=524600]Quoted post[/post]​

well said

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 12 2005, 07:13 AM
The difference between them is...do you want to learn how to use Linux, or, just use Linux? In many ways FC4 is easier because you are more in control, if something screws up will know why, because you did it :)

Another good distro to look at as far as being Desktop friendly is Xandros, very slick, ships with mp3/wma support (something you have to add to FC4, easily enough though), or Kubuntu, Ubuntu. Good thing is Eric uses Linspire, I use FC4, Sabz uses Gentoo, and there's others too, so there's not a lot you'll run into that won't have an answer. Plus community support is great with FC4, and Gentoo, don't know about Linspire.
[post=524600]Quoted post[/post]​

I use Slackware, with thoughts of trying out Gentoo. My bud runs Gentoo and it's a damn good distro but I would never recommend it to a new user.

im a dumbass.

i unrar'd the ISO, and deleted the ISO after. i had to re/dl it and burn as ISO. i almost totally forgot i made this thread.

anyways, after i finish defragging and then chip off a 10gb partition for linspire, ill dualboot it.

norton speed disk is taking forever on my drive though. ive got 2 60gb partitions that are almost full. :) nor have they been defragged in... 2-3 months.

yeah it wont install. i get

"kernel tainted"

and

"kernel panic: not synching attempting to kill init!"

right after i choose whether i want to run the install, run linspirelive, or go to advanced menu.
help? ;) im going to re/dl the ISO and burn it slower.

have you been keeping an eye on your kernel at night? it might be sneaking out and hitting the red light district...

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 12 2005, 10:14 PM
have you been keeping an eye on your kernel at night? it might be sneaking out and hitting the red light district...
[post=525123]Quoted post[/post]​

i know right?? it should be using protection. i figured now that it was 5, i wouldnt have to worry so much. :ph34r:

yeah so i re-burned the ISO slower, and ive had somewhat better results.

i get to the install actually, and i pick my partition, pc name, password etc. im doing an advanced install onto a 10gb partition so i dont overwrite XP (dualboot). FWIW, Linspire needs a fat32 partition to install on. that it is.

it gets 3/4 through the formatting then i get error 224: cannot write image to disk. :wtf:

the "world's easiest desktop linux" is proving to be the hardest operating system to install, ever.

suggestions before i give up?

How slow are you burning it? I burn at x1 :) takes for ever and a half, but I have never had a fail. Also, how did you partition the space? Try repartitioning, and leaving the 10G's as free space, and try letting Linspire format it itself.

same deal. it was blank, and couldnt write. then it was "reiserFS" and couldnt write.

the partition im using is the 4th line down in the list. in a breakdown:
disk1
part1:NTFS 50gb
ext1
part2:(insert linspire here) 10gb
part3:NTFS 60gb

Back