Look at my sleeves.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boostedf22

dis is why im not
So after deciding to put a h22 head on the f22, I pulled the head off the car today and saw this.Can you tell me if my sleeves are ok and what would cause the burn marks? I took pics of the worst 2.

Heres a few pics.

DSC00701.jpg

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

Btw- the block has 9k miles on it since the build. And I can move the pistons about an 1/8 of an inch around the cylinder. I did a compression check before tearing down the motor. All was ok, ranging from 207-210 across.

All input is welcome.

I just showed this picture to our mechanic here at work and he thinks that it may be an overheating problem. Is that a block guard that you have on there? If so, I have read that block guards tend to restrict coolant flow, which may or may not explain why your engine may be overheating. That's just his two cents. Let me know what you end up figuring out is wrong with it when you have it checked out or diagnosed elsewhere. Best of luck.

Nah its not a block guard, they are Darton MID sleeves. The car never, I mean never ran hot. Atleast the temp gauge stayed at normal.

You know, he and I debated about it and I mentioned that it looked sleeved, then the block guard discussion came up.

I'm not an expert so I do not know what else to tell you my friend. I do like the sleeves though. :D Let me know what you end up figuring out. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Did I read that right? I didnt know you could put the H head on the F seires. But what kind of gas were you running in it? They really dont look all that bad though ecept for those hot spots, Ive never really seen anything like that.

Did I read that right? I didnt know you could put the H head on the F series. But what kind of gas were you running in it? They really dont look all that bad though except for those hot spots, Ive never really seen anything like that.
Yeah you read that right, you can swap cly heads h22/h23 will bolt right up, but the head needs some TLC, and you need a few other things from different year make and model hondas to get it on there. The f22 block w/ h23 or h22 head is considered a G22/G23 series Hybrid. Basically the same as an h22 but a longer stroke. and a better flowing head. Most guys that want to make big power with there f22's (especially the ones with the vtec head) swap over the DOHC world for better air flow and a more tunable engine.

Back on topic, I have just about got the motor out of the car, and I am leaving town tomorrow morning for work for 2 days and I wont know if my pistons are fucked and if my sleeves are out of round until wednesday night. By the looks of it now, I am going to need bigger pistons/ rings/ rebore/ hone. Might as well go 89mm bore. My pistons will prob look like this.

Now I have a set of 650 dollar ashtrays. It lasted 1500 Miles
DSC01745.jpg

did you put the pistons in yourself? It looks like you lined all the rings up when you put the piston in the block, The rings need to be staggered there's a diagram on how they go in the Haynes manual. I don't think you got proper oil flow in there

did you put the pistons in yourself? It looks like you lined all the rings up when you put the piston in the block, The rings need to be staggered there's a diagram on how they go in the Haynes manual. I don't think you got proper oil flow in there
The motor was assembled by a Honda tech.

take the bottom end apart and see if you spun a bearing, something through the pistons off, Is there any wobble in the crank?

i just got back in town tonight, and I am pulling the motor out tomorrow and starting the disassembly. Something is telling me it was a clearance issue. I should know something by tomorrow. If I have to rebore, I am going 89mm this go round.

Back