Looking for a new engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Boondock Saint DX

just bought a 95 civic dx hatch a few months ago....great shape....but it's all stock......im looking for a new engine, mainly a b16....taking all tips and suggestions

thanks

if you are mechanically inclined you could try a mini mi for a budget- other wise source out a b series and swap away

the best b16 for the money is a gsr (b18c)

spend the extra G if you can. b16's are weaksauce

you bought one b ! You liked the weak sauce ! - get what ever you like b series over all has more potential - money is always the greatest determinating factor

its not the motor that sucks its the block! - lol the head does fine - and can be built into a power house as well- time+money can do alot of things

yes, easily but yiou will need a b-series tranny and a vtec obd1 ecu that is preferably off a dohc.
Check out the articles section it sums it up pretty well, anything else has probably been asked already on this forum, do a search for it, i know i asked all this stuff when i did my swap.
look in the b/s/t forums on this site too, you could find a nice ls/vtec!
also this post should be moved to the right forum.

Here is a LS/vtec for salehttps://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58171
This should be faster than both the b16 and b18c

Do not get a b16. Total waste of money for a swap imo... Great if you bought a 99-00 si like me, poor if you are going through the hassle of putting one where there was not one before.

The b16 is a torqueless wonder and you will most likely get beat up on by moded d series. Take it from someone that has owned the D series, the H series, the GSR, B16, LS, and now a LS/vtec. I can honestly say that the B16 is a bastard of a motor. The only worthwhile swap IMO is into a sub 2000 pound CRX. And even then you are just barely chirping 2nd.

Save up for the GSR or just turbo the d series. A b16 swap is a waste of money IMO....

**Puts on flame suit and stands back** :hide:

D-series are plenty for most people. And they are the least expensive to tune. A mini-me swap wouldn't be a bad idea, to start out on. There always is the alure of having a swapped car though.

I can see how swapping a b-series into a 60hp CRX hf, could have the greatest results. The primary benefit I seein having a B-series is not needing a custom grind cam to adjust the timing between intake and exhaust.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jul 14 2005, 10:58 PM
Do not get a b16. Total waste of money for a swap imo... Great if you bought a 99-00 si like me, poor if you are going through the hassle of putting one where there was not one before.

The b16 is a torqueless wonder and you will most likely get beat up on by moded d series. Take it from someone that has owned the D series, the H series, the GSR, B16, LS,  and now a LS/vtec. I can honestly say that the B16 is a bastard of a motor. The only worthwhile swap IMO is into a sub 2000 pound CRX. And even then you are just barely chirping 2nd.

Save up for the GSR or just turbo the d series. A b16 swap is a waste of money IMO....

**Puts on flame suit and stands back**  :hide:
[post=526437]Quoted post[/post]​

***Puts on his flame gauntlet with spiked knuckles***

What the fuck are you talking about????!!!!! A b16 is a bastard motor? Worthless? Waste of money? You have to be fucking kidding me. My self too being the owner of a GSR hatch (stolen), then now a SiRII Hatch, in fact, in stock form, THERE IS NO FUCKING DIFFERENCE!!! At all. In terms of aftermarket support and power potential, they are the SAME. Torque?? Start building the B16 block and see that problem dissapear. And if you're like me and are fond of the twisties, torque means shit all anyways, you're never really much out of VTEC.

There is no limit to either engine. But there are price diffrences. The B16A was available for a longer period of time both here and overseas, therefore the are more of them laying around, hence the price diffrence. There are way less GSR motors laying around.

Wether you have a GSR, SiR, Type R, the fact is you have a B-Series DOHC VTEC engine. In stock form, you are paying more money for the engine's availability, not power, and when it comes to power potential, there is no clear winner....all DOHC VTEC engines are one in the same.

To the poster, buy whatever B-Series is in your budget.

Back