Loose suspension and steering feel??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
My integra seems to be feeling looser than ever lately, and its not a good thing :) Im looking for some help, or suggestions, from some suspension experts to make it drive like new again.

background info:
The suspension setup consists of some cheap, relatively soft, coilover sleeves, kyb agx shocks f+r, skunk2 front upper control arms(camber kits), skunk2 rear camber kits. the aftermarket parts have only a few thousand miles at most. everything else is stock, although i cant be sure that its original. i did a carfax, and the body of the car has a little over 200k miles. current power is over 350whp, running drag radials all the time.

The symptoms that i dont like are...
-when i get into a sustained curve (like an on/off ramp for instance) the car will suddenly reach a point where it will "squat". in other words it will remain flat at first but if i push it a little more i can feel the car suddenly lean and feel less planted, less stable.
-when i hit boost (in a straight line obviously) the front of the car feels very loose, but its not traction. i understand torque steer, but this is more like a lack of stability. in 3rd and 4th gear pulls for instance, it will pull so hard to one side or the other that i have trouble maintaining a lane.

i have always felt that this integra has felt "loose" compared to a couple other integras i have owned before. im afraid that its getting worse now though. what all should i look into replacing?

Last edited:
as far as i can tell from a quick look under the car, everything looks stock and OLD. i dont know a lot about suspension and what bushings need replacing etc...

order up an ES master kit... go to town.. if your car is still loose then i am unsure. but 200K on stock bushings, with that kind of power is not great.

yeah, your bushings are probably shot. get a traction bar and a limited slip to help keep you in a lane.

alright i guess i have a project on my hands... gotta see what all bushings i can replace. been considering traction bars, but funds are limited right now. my setup will support 450+whp so i need to get this sorted out and turn up the boost :ph34r:

from what i know about it, bushings are a pita... any tips, pointers, etc?

a torch and a hacksaw are your best friends. or for 20 bucks, im sure a shop will press the bushings and sleeves out of your LCAs.

airjockie and i did 2 sets in his garage. the first set with a torch and hacksaw/dremel. the second... at his buddys shop in minutes.

Tie rods may be bad....the bushing on them. But new ball joints should be done too (upper and lower)

If this is a street car, consider replacing the suspension bushings with rubber. I put poly in my old civic and hated it. Every road imperfection is now translated into the cabin. They also squeak without regular lubing. Then again, with 350 whp, you may want to do poly for the LCA bushings. The power literally jacks the A arms rearward, causing the car to steer itself - aka torque steer. Poly will reduce the amount it can steer itself under load.

Have you looked into getting the H bar for the underside of the car ...it really tightens up the front an relatively cheap

well, i started taking it apart last night... its not good. looks like i need upper control arm mount bushings, lca bushings, compliance bushings, and tie rod ends :eek:

i have been considering a traction bar setup for a while, but the cost of all this is going to push that off even farther. i have decided to get some of the Hardrace bushings, hopefully they will handle the power better than the stock ones.

even replacing them with OEM rubber will drastically tighten up your suspension.

:thumbsup: for routine maintenance!

Back