Lost...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Civic

Ok well... i am not old enough to drive yet but will be soon and i want to kno everything there is to kno about civics... i plan on getting a used Civic EX between the year 96-00... then i was thinkin i could swap a different engine into it like this b18 you people speak of or a vtec then top it off with a super or turbo charger...what i really want to kno is what to do next after i buy the civic to turn it into a street racing car so then i can go out and have some fun with it :D i am sooo lost :unsure: any help would be appreciated. Thanks for taking your time to read this and offering any advice

i suggest the search function for exhaust, header and whatever else you want. i also suggest reading the tech parts of every forum and using google.

do a lot of reading up and saving cuz thats what i have been doing for years.... it's not a cheap hobby.

I doubt anyone on this site is going to try to teach a 15 year old how to street race.

Really you shouldn't. First you need to learn to drive and how to handle your car.
If you get a 6th gen EX then I'd say drive it for a year before you start doing any modification.

Go to the junkyard and pull out a motor from an older model civic or crx and rip it apart. Learn what the pieces are.
Get a helms manual (thick shop book) for your model car, and maybe even one for the kind of engine you pull so you can learn every last bit about honda engines before you go and bolt on some turbo and flip your car doing 85 around a turn.

Also learn to drive a manual if you don't know how already. If the civic you get is a manual then all the better, if it's an auto, take advantage of that and learn how to handle it and drive a friends or parents manual whenever they let you.

Generally people on this site are pretty responsible about not wanting to get people killed, if you want to really race, go to the tracks.

To start learning read the reference sections and the articles on this site. There is a well of knowledge at your disposal. I knew hardly nothing before joining this site, and by making responsible posts and reading what is available to me, I know about 10000% more than I did before.

Originally posted by Hexen@Jan 21 2003, 12:58 PM
I doubt anyone on this site is going to try to teach a 15 year old how to street race.

Really you shouldn't. First you need to learn to drive and how to handle your car.
If you get a 6th gen EX then I'd say drive it for a year before you start doing any modification.

Go to the junkyard and pull out a motor from an older model civic or crx and rip it apart. Learn what the pieces are.
Get a helms manual (thick shop book) for your model car, and maybe even one for the kind of engine you pull so you can learn every last bit about honda engines before you go and bolt on some turbo and flip your car doing 85 around a turn.

Also learn to drive a manual if you don't know how already. If the civic you get is a manual then all the better, if it's an auto, take advantage of that and learn how to handle it and drive a friends or parents manual whenever they let you.

Generally people on this site are pretty responsible about not wanting to get people killed, if you want to really race, go to the tracks.

To start learning read the reference sections and the articles on this site. There is a well of knowledge at your disposal. I knew hardly nothing before joining this site, and by making responsible posts and reading what is available to me, I know about 10000% more than I did before.

lol i dont have any comments but who said he was 15 ?

He said he was not old enough to drive.

In the states it's 16 everywhere I think. Unless he's canadian.... or Ukranian or something.

Saying your 15 now, how are you going to afford a 6th gen EX without having your parents shell out money? The 6th gen ex will cost you 5k+ then if you want to make it fast, another 1k for suspention, 2-4k on swap, 1k for bolt ons. It adds up. I am 16 and have been saving for a while and will eventually do a swap but trust me it all adds up real quick.

I would recommand looking at a 5th gen, they are alot cheaper and the swaps are normall 200-400 cheaper (cause they are obd1) Belive me when i tell you that making an expensive car fast sucks, If i would have looked at a hatch in the first place, I could be driving on fast car but i opted for the sol

oh great another lil punk kid out to prove his car is bad. WTF? Goto the track. Its ppl like this make 4 dr civic insurance even go up. You are 15, i dont care if you are Moses, learn to drive your car, get track experience before you ever hit the street. (which you shouldn't anyways). Have I ever street raced? Yes, but i also almost paid the dearly price of losing my best friend who was pinned between the dash and the seat. Is killing yourself really worth it? Especially in a d-series civic. Why get a 96-00? They weigh more then the 92-95's. Lightweight is better for the street races. The 4th gen is even lighter. Ah well, as long as you dont live in Eastern Oklahoma, i dont give a fuck.

Originally posted by Hexen@Jan 21 2003, 01:27 PM

In the states it's 16 everywhere I think. Unless he's canadian.... or Ukranian or something.

isnt cali's driving age 18 (did it to limit the drivers, less smog less traffic)?

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jan 21 2003, 01:31 PM-->
@Jan 21 2003, 01:27 PM

isnt cali's driving age 18 (did it to limit the drivers, less smog less traffic)?

I live in Cali and I thought it was 16.

Maybe thats the new like provisional license thing until you're 18 where you can't drive with other people under 18 until you're over 18 or something.

But I'm pretty sure the age is still 16 for the basic license, but I could be wrong.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Jan 21 2003, 01:30 PM
oh great another lil punk kid out to prove his car is bad. WTF? Goto the track. Its ppl like this make 4 dr civic insurance even go up.

we just had this discussion in another thread..... if you really wanna get into the ins and outs of hondas well that's cool... but this fast and furious bullshit has gotten way out of control, yes i did used to street race a few years back... but it was in a controlled industrial section, the cops would let us do it for a few hours, everybody there was for the most part respectful, couteous and safe... then that fuckin movie came out and WHAM morons flooded from all over jumping this fuckin bandwagon, and some moron thought dragracing involved switching lanes and killed somebody... fuck that shit, take it to the track

Originally posted by Hexen+Jan 21 2003, 01:37 PM-->
Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 21 2003, 01:31 PM
Hexen

Maybe thats the new like provisional license thing until you're 18 where you can't drive with other people under 18 until you're over 18 or something.

But I'm pretty sure the age is still 16 for the basic license, but I could be wrong.

A lot of places are changing it. In Oklahoma its 17 with drivers ed or 17 and a half without it. I got mine before this new law. I think its 17 in VA also, or so my ex-gf was saying something to that affect down in the Richmond area. So, it might have changed recently.

i just remembered that a freind that i used to know moved to montana and their law was 15, but they had to do alot more class time.

In michigan, you can get you learners permit (only drive with your parents) when your 14 and 9 months. When you are 16, you can get your pro-b licience, cant drive from 12am-5am, and if you get so many points, you cant get your no resriction liciense till your 21

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 21 2003, 01:47 PM
i just remembered that a freind that i used to know moved to montana and their law was 15, but they had to do alot more class time.

In michigan, you can get you learners permit (only drive with your parents) when your 14 and 9 months. When you are 16, you can get your pro-b licience, cant drive from 12am-5am, and if you get so many points, you cant get your no resriction liciense till your 21

Woah, thats way to much thinking.

Originally posted by Silver Civic@Jan 21 2003, 06:51 PM
Ok well... i am not old enough to drive yet but will be soon and i want to kno everything there is to kno

There is a W at the end of know.Spend a little time behind the wheel before you get crazy.I've seen a lot of young "badasses" become one with telephone poles,ditches,and worse other cars and people.

Originally posted by Domeskilla+Jan 21 2003, 01:42 PM-->
Originally posted by Hexen@Jan 21 2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 21 2003, 01:31 PM
Hexen

A lot of places are changing it. In Oklahoma its 17 with drivers ed or 17 and a half without it. I got mine before this new law. I think its 17 in VA also, or so my ex-gf was saying something to that affect down in the Richmond area. So, it might have changed recently.

ok first off he said he couldnt drive that means he could be like 12 years old for all that we kno and i live in VA the age for permit is 15 and 6 months and for license its 16 and 4 months and you have to have your permit for at least 8 months before you can get a license... PEACE

Originally posted by [iv[@Jan 21 2003, 01:56 PM

ok first off he said he couldnt drive that means he could be like 12 years old for all that we kno and i live in VA the age for permit is 15 and 6 months and for license its 16 and 4 months and you have to have your permit for at least 8 months before you can get a license... PEACE

So pretty much you registered two accounts and asked the same question twice?

And I was right that you are 15.

92b16vx is right, there is a W in know. You spelled it wrong with both accounts.

Learn to drive first. And refer to my first post.

please dont get a license. Im so tired of dealing with punk kids in their riced out dx's revving on my at the stop light. Hence why I sold my Si.

The hobby/sport has gotten so out of hand that us ol' schoolers dotn care about doing anything anymore because its retards that ruin it for all of us.

Heck, in Ct. there is a stretch of highway that is like 8 miles long, STRAIT, called the Berlin Turnpike. Way back when and until about 3 years ago, the cops didnt care if you raced as long as you were courteous and didnt cause trouble or get loud. Now, screw that, you cant even drive up there without getting pulled over for some lame excuse...and do you know why?

Because 16yr olds think they are invincible and think mommies accord will beat anything on the street and that gets people killed.

So please, for all of us, please dont get your license.

And Silver Civic or [IV[ whatever your name is...you do realize that I can view your IP...no need in changing your screen name so you wont get flamed...it'll come regardless of your name :)

kthxbye :ph34r:

Oh and BTW this is why your Insurance Premiums are so high for 16-21 yr olds.

Actually your wrong In HERNDON, VA where Ive lived forever the age for a permit is 15 and 8 months(you have to pass drivers ed too) and the age for a license is 16 and 6 months(need to pass "behide the wheel") and yes you do have to have your permit before you can get your license and you are rite on the fact that once you get your permit no matter what age you have to wait at least 8 months before you can get the license and I almost forgot at 16 with a license you can only have one passenger...then at 17 your allowed 2 but once you hit 18 they dont care anymore . Also to let you kno since you posted the same question twice but with 2 different s/ns at two different topics a supercharger compresses air with a belt driven pulley, while a turbocharger compresses air by using exhast to spin a turbine :D and if you live in VA and you get that 6th gen. Civic Ex and you do decide to take these peoples advice and don't street race and take it to the tracks the closes track is the maryland raceway and if you do decide to go there your gonna get nailed on soo hard by que*r @ss domestic car owners, those fagg*ts who think their the Sh*t with their camaro or mustangs... so i say take it down the the old dominion raceway were the imports actually get some respect....o yea you are at most 15 years old and like sisteve said there is no point in making 50 different screen names no matter what your IP address will come up the same...the beauty of hacking :)

Have A Nice Time Working On Your Civic Your Gonna Need To Save Up And Read Up To Have A Good Car See Ya At The Tracks One Day... B)

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 21 2003, 10:31 AM

no it is 16 like everywhere else, but there are restrictions when you turn 16 and have a licence, for the first 6 months you cannot drive with anyone else in the car unless they are over 25, and you cannot drive between midnight and 5am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back