low comp. question b20vtec in a DA

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b20vtec90da

ok i wanted to know what kind of numbers for compression i would look for, to kind of give me an idea of HOW low my compression is. i came across this b20vtec in a White 91 LS. the car was crap but i was told the motor was a fresh built turbo built motor. i later put this motor into my Grey 90 GS.

he said its 8.5:1 forged rods block guard arp bolts top and bottom. Came with a hydro LS with a phantom grip LSD, i sold the trans because i had a cable LS out of my grey DA and did not want to waste money on a hydro to cable conversion. i have no idea of any of this because i have not had the time to yank the motor out ive been Daily Driving it since i got it. it runs good its not like its mis firing. just runs like a DOGGGG.

now i know the LS trans will make a huge difference. but i dont think its JUST the trans thats holding me back. my friend has an ek, a cx hatch, with an LS, intake and header, b16 trans. my b20vtec runs with that car almost dead on.

its premapped from Phearable.net - Electronic Fuel Injection Tuning Solutions - Hondata, Neptune, Crome, Uberdata, Ectune, AEM, Honda Tuning, Widebands, Fuel Pumps, Intercoolers, Turbos, LS/VTEC, ECU Chipping, Chipped Ecus, P28 on a p28, converted to obd1. no codes, runs great. just not very fast. not slow but not fast.

the original question i was lookin for was what kind of compression numbers do i wana see for somethin with such low compression? i know stock compression is what like 190-200 for ls and there what 9-9.5 cr?

well, for reference my 9.6:1 b20vtec motor was right at 200psi on all 4 cylinders. different gauges read different though, i wouldnt stress it too much. basically, as long as all 4 are close to each other, its healthy.

well i know they are all healthy, i was just wondering if i could indicate a definite low compressin build from a low compression reading all way across. the motor runs perfect he said it had about 10k when i got it, ive ran it for two years and its never given me a problem. just wondering if i am rly 8.5 and if so then maybe the rest of the shit is accurate, and i can sell this block. because i am not in the market for a turbo kit right now i would like an all motor daily driver.

buttt thanks for the info im gona buy a compression tester today i left mine at my old shop and never seen again

Back