Ls 5th Gear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mical0259

im getting an LS 5th gear synchro and putting it in my b16 tranny for obvious reasons. how do i do this and should i even bother doing it myself or take it to the pros? has anyone on this board done it and if you have how did you like it? also if you know any tech articles on tranny disassembly i would appreciate them. thanks

get a helms manual ... and good luck. the b series trannys are a difficult thing to master. if you can get it for a good price, i'd say have someone do it for you.
i am also planning on the LS 5th gear for my ITR tranny

If it is a cable tranny, they are not too difficult if you are mechanically inclined and you have a helms. I have never been in a hydro tranny.

Where are you? It's a worthwhile mod if you spend a lot of time on the highway. If not I wouldn't recomend it. With a B16 you won't have much acceleration in 5th. If you can't afford to be down for a while get someone tha knows what they are doing to do it.

I just put all new synchros and a couple of gears in my hydro GSR tranny, and it was pretty easy for the most part.
Here are some of the things you will need:

good manual
large bench to lay everything out on
hydraulic press
bearing puller to get some of the gears/bearings off of the mainshaft and countershaft
torque wrench
feeler guage to measure the synchro to shift fork clearance

A couple of things to keep in mind: While you have the case off of the tranny, look closely at the dog teeth on the gears. My synchros were to the point that the teeth on the gears were worn down and the gear had to be replaced. Also, make sure that you don't put anything on upside down - some of the differences are very small between upside down and right side up. One more thing, if you have to change any of the bearings in the tranny, make sure to check the clearance according to the manual and shim the case accordingly. Good luck.
BTW, if you need help, i have an OEM manual that I might be able to photocopy and mail to you. Let me know.

basically get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you, unless your interested in being a tranny master.

heh

im getting them from a guy who has a LS tranny with a bad 3rd gear. im sure you can get them from honda/acura, not sure about price tho.

I got the gsr gear (only third was bad) from my honda dealer. I also used 99-00 Civic Si synchros. All totaled, it was around $650 I think. I know that a new tranny is not to much more expensive than this, but who knows the condition that one is in.

Back