Ls Vs B16?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

88crxdx

hello all im looking for a motor with ok miles on it and not thrashed to hell. what do you think is a better option b16, or ls into my crx dx, i need mounts linkage everything, can you give me an estamate of what i should be paying for motor, tranny, ecu, all of it. possibly labor no time always working...

thanks a lot for any replies, if you got a motor let me know. mattcrx88dx@hotmail.com :spin:

if i were you, i would use a b18a or b18b instead of b16a for a crx. although the b16a has higher output in horse power, b18a or b18b has more torqe. and for a small car like that, youll get up and move. you can probably just buy b18a block (b18a block is stronger than b18b block ) and put b18b ls head on it. to gain the extra 12 hp (b18a has 130hp while b18b has 142hp) along with other stuff like pistons ect. still would need to do other stuff with that head swap (im not exactly sure what else though) also if your wanting to run turbo, better to use LS transmisson because of longer gears. i think b18b swaps are around 1200 for engine, ecu, accessories like fuel rail, intake/exhaust manifold, alternator, starter, distributor ect. youll probably have to buy custom mounts, i think hasport has them for like 500. not sure. b16a swap is considerably more average around 1500 to 2000. im pretty sure youll also need axles also, dont think stock axles will work for b18a/b or b16a engines. i could be wrong. as for shift linkage dont know if stock crx linkage will work, im not exactly sure if 2nd gen integ will fit it, youll have look that up. if it does, you can probably buy the assembly maybe around 100 or less. (linkage and shifter assembly). i would go with the LS, and if you have funds go with LS vtec. its usually cheaper and all round better. not sure on labor. sorry for long story though

LS would be the best choice i think,easier to install and easy to make legal. 90-91 integra motor,(you can always go vtec later) hasport mount kit, linkage kit from hasport( or shorten the stock linkage by about 2 3/8 in.), in terms of the wire harness...id say get the integra harness and your stock harness and send them to hasport or check painless wiring to see if they have something, but you can wire them yourself. if you want to keep A/C you might have to order a special bracket, but as far as i know the integ or crx bracket WONT work ( it looks like it will but it wont), the bottom engine mount is hard as hell to put in but it is possible. this choice will definitly make labor cheaper but as far as estimates on the costs, your best bet is to shop around for the best deal. there are links all over this site you can check out especialy for the motor, and once you take delivery on your motor CHECK THE T.P.S. !!!!!! it will probally be broken...easy fix though. good luck on the swap! :thumbsup:

"later"...... just picked up the new sport compact, it has detailed instructions for this swap ( well its for the civic DX but they say everything is the same for the CRX as long as it isnt an HF ) good luck!!

dude, wuit being lazy and just do a search.

thats what its there for.

i'll even tell you what to put in - vtec and b18b. this has been asked 9749323 times. its also known as the vtec vs non-vtec debate.

i bet your next question is " Should i turbo a vtec motor or non vtec motor?" and i'll give you that answer now too.

do a search.

I agree with the search idea,but anyway,the B16A is a good motor in a rex,it is light and torque isn't a huge issue,the B18A maybe cheaper though.You WILL need new axles,mounts,shiftlinkage,ECU.Check out HAsport,they have most of what you need,along with prices.You can do better on prices as some places sell them cheaper,but it will give you an idea.Labor would depend on where you take it and if they know what they are doing.DO NOT get the work done somewhere that doesn't,you may be waiting a long time for it to be done.

I have a buddy that had a B18B in his CRX and he had a B17 GSR tranny on it and pulled a 14.6 all motor before putting anything aftermarket on the engine. He pulled mid 13's when he was done with all of his parts. I also know a guy that has a LS/VTEC Turbo in his CRX and he pulls 12's all day long, on street tires.

thats what i was just going to say pills...

if you are staying n/a definitely go with the b16,
if you plan on boosting it in the future, go with the ls motor.

and the b16 in a rex will pull a ls rex anyday.

torque/ power curve is better for boosting on B18B.... but B16 is diffenitly better for N/A!

a boosted b16 would be better but it is more costly, that is why it is better to boost a LS motor, its cheaper and more prctical but a well built b16 or b18c will beat it

a collaboration of the most knowledgable people on here need to write up a big thing called "which engine to choose" outlining everything as far as individual benifits and weaknesses and whats better than what under what circumstances. Somehting like a research paper. I know my stuff when it comes to general things but I would never dream of thinking myself knowledgable to cotrive such an undertaking. But it should be written and pinned in this forum so everyone can read it before asking the same questions over and over again and argu9ing over the same crap.

I would say get the b16 swap, that way you have the head, ecu and tranny meant for vtec, then If you want torque just change the block with an ls or b20.

If you decide to go ls first, and then vtec, you'll have to buy the head, tranny and ecu = almost the price of the initial ls swap

the reason why they will never write it is becasue your talking about a few persons opinions on one thing. it would be impossible because there is no way to know everything, there will never be a best n/a motor, or a best turbo motor because the technology is always changing and people are always coming up with new ways to do things, maybe in 10 years or so we "may" be able to do a write up like that, but the biggest thing keeping anyone from writing it is the fact that 90% of the people who come on here as noobs and last for like 20 posts want the cliffs notes version of the theoretical paper that should be written. they want to know but they don't want to take the time to learn. thats why.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Apr 4 2003, 01:52 AM
the reason why they will never write it is becasue your talking about a few persons opinions on one thing. it would be impossible because there is no way to know everything, there will never be a best n/a motor, or a best turbo motor because the technology is always changing and people are always coming up with new ways to do things, maybe in 10 years or so we "may" be able to do a write up like that, but the biggest thing keeping anyone from writing it is the fact that 90% of the people who come on here as noobs and last for like 20 posts want the cliffs notes version of the theoretical paper that should be written. they want to know but they don't want to take the time to learn. thats why.

umm, you could easily write something to the effect I mean, such as the fact that yes an LS motor is better for turbo because its easier to do but a turbo vtec motor that is done properly will beat it any day of the week. Simple shit like that will prevent a lot of BS threads and has nothing to do with peoples opinions, its simple fact.

Originally posted by 89civ@Apr 4 2003, 01:50 AM
I would say get the b16 swap, that way you have the head, ecu and tranny meant for vtec, then If you want torque just change the block with an ls or b20.

If you decide to go ls first, and then vtec, you'll have to buy the head, tranny and ecu = almost the price of the initial ls swap

you can't just "change the block" building a cr/vtec or and ls/vtec takes a lot of work and money

Back