LS/VTEC ANYBODY JUST?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Samuels

I'm thinking about buying a LS motor from my friend who wrecked his car. I can get the motor for 300 it has 95k on it. Has anyone just slapped a vtec head on the stock LS block??

I gotta a Gen1 b16 that is in great condition with all the bolt ons and CTR cams in my ef hatch now and I love it but it just sucks torque wise unless your on it hard.

I was thinking about putting my pr3 pistons in it with ARP rod bolts then the golden eagle kit with my b16 head but I'm having 2nd thoughts.

Now i'm thinking about getting this motor and buying a extra b16 head and just slapping it on the block then dropping it in. I would then have my b16 has a nice spare motor.

Thoughts on this how much more hp would the LS Block give me over my b16 setup if I kept the LS bottom end stock??

Do I have to tune it if I keep the compression down I want to run it on my stock pr3 ECU.

Somebody thats been thier point me in the right direction.

keep the b16 tranny and head and just do the conversion you will be very happy....btw use the pr3 pistons

Would my pr3 with 93 octane be good enough for fuel with PR3 pistons in the block?

I wanna keep my motor in a way atleast the block to have a spare should something happen to the LS/Vtec.

So maybe I should just buy some new pr3 pistons+rings thier what like 200? Get some arp rod bolts and go from thier.

Originally posted by Samuels@Jul 27 2005, 12:57 PM
Would my pr3 with 93 octane be good enough for fuel with PR3 pistons in the block?

I wanna keep my motor in a way atleast the block to have a spare should something happen to the LS/Vtec.

So maybe I should just buy some new pr3 pistons+rings thier what like 200? Get some arp rod bolts and go from thier.
[post=532041]Quoted post[/post]​

I just did a LS/VTEC conversion with the GSR head and YES you will be happy when you do it oh and you are damn lucky you have the B16 tranny cuz the LS sux yo.
Good luck and ENJOY

yeah i had that set up on 93.... and the pr3ecu will wrk....until you go to teh dyno.....and def get the arp rod bolts...and just buy new rings and get a fresh hone....btw get a vtec oil/water pump.....i think you can reuse the b16 stuff but if its old just buy a new one

Just a left field question but its something i've looked at compare these 2 setups for me the price difference is'nt much.

The LS/VTEC
VS.
The other motor i've been thinking about and thinking it would be more reliable is buying another gen 1 b16 I can buy 1 locally for 650 with under 50k. Putting some CTR pistons in bumping the compression and getting the head ported and polished. I have a local shop that does most of the local imports for portn polish for 575 and will do a basic port and polish for 200. Both motors would have I-H-E, Sk2 IM,CTR cams

What kinda HP vs torque difference you think i'd see between the motors??

ballpark?

dont know but the lsv is better(imho)..

...ive raced a gsr with high comp and skunkstg 2 cams/manifold and chipped p28... i win off the line and he catches up but cant edge out in front.when i shift he goes a little infront...when he shifts i get teh lead..btw i have an lsv with pr4 pistons.020 over.....b16 head/grs cam.....8.8 rev limmit...

Originally posted by Samuels@Jul 27 2005, 01:14 PM
Just a left field question but its something i've looked at compare these 2 setups for me the price difference is'nt much.

The LS/VTEC
VS.
The other motor i've been thinking about and thinking it would be more reliable is buying another gen 1 b16 I can buy 1 locally for 650 with under 50k. Putting some CTR pistons in bumping the compression and getting the head ported and polished. I have a local shop that does most of the local imports for portn polish for 575 and will do a basic port and polish for 200. Both motors would have I-H-E, Sk2 IM,CTR cams

What kinda HP vs torque difference you think i'd see between the motors??

ballpark?
[post=532051]Quoted post[/post]​

Hard to say every motor is different I put 150 to the wheel with just I/H/E on my LS/VTEC of course B18B1 block with the GSR head. If you are making me guess I would say 160-170 to the wheel for the LS/VTEC but for the B16 hard to say but hey it's just a guess, make sure you have something to tune it with as well Hondata, Uberdata, Crome whatever floats your boat. I have heard many good things about that Golden Eagle LS/VTEC kit so get that for sure.

Damn I was thinking the gen 1 b16 with bumped compression and a ported head might make more hp but less tq and be a better setup. I'm really looking for reliability 1st.

Any other opionions wheres all the motor geeks tonight?

Originally posted by Samuels@Jul 27 2005, 05:35 PM
Damn I was thinking the gen 1 b16 with bumped compression and a ported head might make more hp but less tq and be a better setup. I'm really looking for reliability 1st.

Any other opionions wheres all the motor geeks tonight?
[post=532146]Quoted post[/post]​

You know the CTR Pistons will fit in the B18B so you can bump the compression in that as well but I think the LS/VTEC will still put more to the wheel.

Yeah I know its basically the LS block vs the b16 head being ported polished because I will put pistons in either setup. I know I can do all that stuff to both motors but i'm talking cash wise i wanna keep it around.

How much hp can be gained from a mild port n polish with a setup like mine currently?

I would like a 13 second 1/4mile car on street tires thats basically the goal but being reliable without FI.

HP can win races has well if you gotta enough. I do want more torque for everyday stop and go driving though.

What kinda compression ratio would this setup land and whats the cheapest way to get it tuned? Will it run ok on my stock pr3 ecu with 93 octane?

B18 block bored 20 over with 20 over CTR pistons with my gen1 b16 head.

Originally posted by Samuels@Jul 30 2005, 08:57 AM
What kinda compression ratio would this setup land and whats the cheapest way to get it tuned? Will it run ok on my stock pr3 ecu with 93 octane?

B18 block bored 20 over with 20 over CTR pistons with my gen1 b16 head.
[post=533321]Quoted post[/post]​

If I am correct it will be 11.5:1 without the bore it's hard to factor the bore in and c-speedracing.com has nothing for bore. I would run a P72 ecu with 93 octane would be great. To tune well it's hard to say cheapest to most expensive would be like this
Crome
Uberdata
VAFC
Hondata
Oh here is the link to figure out your compression ratio
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/compcalc/compcalc.php

Back