Ls/Vtec (B18b/GSR head) ECU question ...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90_EF_Hatch

Señor Member
Im about to put an Ls/VTEC into my 1990 civic hatch. Im not to worried about much because he has alot of Honda mechanical experience. That and he did a CRV/VTEC swap in his 90 hatch too so he knows about all the conversions and stuff i will need.

I need to get an ECU though. We were planning on getting a GSR ecu, but this is where my question is. Im pretty sure a p28 ecu will work with it, and if so, i know a guys that has a p28 with a spoon racing chip in it for $75.

so basically my questions are ...
will a p28 work with ls/vtec?
if so should i still plan on getting the GSR or should i get a 28? (which would be better performance wise)

I know someone can help me cause Honda Swap rocks ^_^

and Thanks is advance. Even if you cant tell me all the ins and outs, lemme know what you THINK.

1) Don't get that ECU with a 'Spoon' chip. It's not designed to run your particular motor so stay away from it. Also, if it was an actual chip from Spoon that ECU would retail for close to $250. $75 tells me it's a knock off chip...

2) Why doesn't the guy who has all the experience and who is putting your motor together, tell you what ECU would be best for your application?

In my opinion, it would be easier to just run a obd-0 PR3or PW0, a OBD-0 B16 Distributor, and a set of OBD-0 Injectors. Although, converting over to obd-1 gives you more tuning possibilities.

Goodluck...

The p28 isnt retail.

its a hook up from a friend ... it was tuned for a z6 i think i dunno.

and yeah he said the GSR ECU, but when i asked him bout the p28 he said, "thats a good question ... i dont know."

i was just seeing what would be best.

The p28 isnt retail.

its a hook up from a friend ... it was tuned for a z6 i think i dunno.

and yeah he said the GSR ECU, but when i asked him bout the p28 he said, "thats a good question ... i dont know."

i was just seeing what would be best.
A Spoon chip tuned for a z6? That doesn't sound right at all... nonetheless, stay away from it. Use a stock ECU or one that is chipped and tuned for your motor. I don't care if it was tuned for a motor similar to yours. No motor runs the same as another. period.

If your gonna tune using a program such as crome, hondata, ect... the p72 and the p28 would be fine to use, one would not be better than the other since you'll be tuned for your application anyway. But if you're not gonna tune then the p72 would be the better choice over the p28

oooooh ... ok.

i think i got it now.

as long as an ECU is stock its interchangeable, but once it has been tuned it needs to be used for that particular motor?

oooooh ... ok.

i think i got it now.

as long as an ECU is stock its interchangeable, but once it has been tuned it needs to be used for that particular motor?

Well...kinda...

The thing about the P28 that makes it so popular is that it's very easy to chip and tune. It was actually made for the 92-95 Civic EX and Si though, which uses a single-cam VTEC motor. So if you're not planning on chipping the P28, then you should use one that was designed for a motor similar to what you're building. In that case you would want the P72, which comes from the GSR.

Does that make sense?

Here's the short version:

If you're going to chip the P28 and custom tune it to your motor, then yes, use it.

If you just want a stock ECU that will plug in and run your motor fairly well without being chipped and tuned, thengo with a P72.

ok ...

well then guy that i am supposed to get the motor from conveniently waited until the day i was supposed to get it to stop answering his phone. So i may end up with just this Z6 i have. In which case i will just go p28.

.... i hate people who lie to look cool or something ... :mad:

Back