ls/vtec b18b - HELP! improper assymbly

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

viperx169

ls/vtec b18b ls w/ vtec head and gsr cam gears. I am replacing the head gasket on this since the dumb ass that built it for me did it incorrectly and lied about what he had done to it. My question is what would be the mm bore for the ls block and if the vtec head has the same bore or larger? I also belive that since the cam gears are gsr that i have to go with a gsr timing belt kit. I am an experiance diesel mechanic with 8 years military on track and wheeled vehicals. I have been conducting fuck up repairs no thanks to the ass that was suppost to be a friend helping me since I myself didnt have the time to complete the job. Any help would be greatly appriciated since I am on a time limit of less then a week starting college again on the 28th. Body is a 2000 GS 3door and was swapped from automatic tranny to manual (supposidly GSR) tranny. I trusted this person to do the work and later realized it as Ive conducted repairs personally and noticed all of the imperfections. the pistons are stock which also where suppost to be forged and are not. assumption that lower end engin is stock.

The bore should be 81mm. I'm assuming since you said it has GSR cam gears that it is a GSR head. The easy way to figure that out, look at the combustion chambers. The GSR doesn't have perfect circles. They are called "quench chambers" I believe. Take a look and see what you have. Doesn't really matter though, both the GSR and B16 heads should be an 81mm bore. The stock pistons in all Honda motors are cast. Forged are only found in the aftermarket.

As far as a timing belt? On an LS-V, you want to match the belt to the water pump. You should be using VTEC water AND oil pumps. If they aren't, replace them with GSR components and use the GSR timing belt kit. While you have the head off, also check to make sure the oil galley is in fact plugged. Was there an oil line added from the block to the head? If not, you NEED to add it. You also should be replacing a few stock components with ones from ARP. There is a great write up on here somewhere that will tell you all about the LS-V. It will also tell you exactly how to build it CORRECTLY. If you don't, you will regret it later when you spin a bearing or just completely destroy the motor.

Back