LS-VTEC BUILD. HELP!!! opinions......

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

I was building a ls-vtec for boost but I need the car running asap so I'm thinking about going n/a.....

Here is a list of all my parts, just so you guys can get an idea of where I'm at so far:

-B18B block (decked,honed,hot tanked)

-B16 head (all stock. fresh out of the machine shop with new oem valves/springs/retainers. have reciept for all the work FRESH!)

-S80 transmission (wanted the longer gears for my initial turbo build. Will this hurt me when going n/a? Or will I be able to run this tranny for awhile and still get decent performance out of it?)

-Eagle H-beam rods

-CP 9.0:1 compression standard-bore pistons (This, besides the tranny, is the only thing i need to change out for N/A. I am either going to sell these off and buy some aftermarket high comp. pistons or if I find anyone who is willing to trade, I'll trade for high comp pistons. WHAT COMP. DO YOU GUYS SUGGEST FOR DAILY DRIVING ON 93OCT. GAS? I want to make the most power possible while still being reliable and a DD)

-all ARP BOLTS/STUDS

-all ACL RACE BEARINGS

I still need the small random stuff but for the most part I have everything ready to go. My main ?'s/concerns are:

I PLAN ON RUNNING ITR/CTR CAMS (WILL THESE MAKE GOOD POWER WITH MY SETUP OR SHOULD I SAVE AND PURCHASE SOME STAGE 2/3 CAMS?) and.....

WHAT COMPRESSION PISTONS SHOULD I GO WITH? As stated, this is going to be my DD and run on 93oct. and lastly.....

WILL MY S80 TRANNY BE FINE TO RUN WITH THIS N/A SETUP? i'm just worried that this trans will make my car feel like a dog with the long gears.....

If I had the $ I'd finish my turbo build but things have come up and I recently lost my job, so I just want this thing running! I have some turbo stuff that I'm able to sell off for some extra $ for the cams or whatnot. Thanks for everyones help and responses :)

Why not just build it N/A for the time being with the parts you have? Then when you get the cash, turbo it?

drive around with 9.0:1 compression?! I'd eat up gas like crazy. Not good for a DD hah Or will I actually be able to get away with doing this?

just wat slush said, build it wit watever u have and dont beat on it just drive it normally( i kno it's hard to do) patience! and wen u do have the money all u need is the turbo kit and something to tune with, i suggest Hondata s300 it's good and cheap..$600....it's ok to drive wit low comp and no turbo but dont push it....patience, im in the process of building a straight Ls turbo on my hatch and now i aint got no car to drive in the winter...dat sukks!!!...

if that's the case, then I might just put it together with the low comp pistons i have.

Anyone ever done this? Will I do any harm to my bearings/rings? thnx

as for tuning, i was going to run a chipped ecu and CHROME or EC TUNE.... suggestions/thoughts?

ECTUNE ftw if you have the cash to pay someone to tune with it. CROME if you don't. Hondata if you already have it in your car.

Drive your car all motor. Sure it's gonna be slow, but who cares. Not much good weather left anyway.

drive around with 9.0:1 compression?! I'd eat up gas like crazy. Not good for a DD hah Or will I actually be able to get away with doing this?
There are plenty of stock Honda motors that have compression between 8.8:1 and 9.5:1. Hell, a stock LS is 9.2:1.

matts96hb: sounds good. I will try ec tune if i have the $ like you said. but for sure either that or chrome

slushboxteggy: you make a good point. thanks for pointing that out to me

so I am definately going to run my setup n/a til i can afford the turbo stuff. thanks again guys much appreciated

Good choice. It's easier to break an engine in when you don't have the turbo setup on there too. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

how do you know that?! haha j/k

320whp is a nice #. I want to have a quick spooling setup so I'm leaning towards a gt30r or maybe something smaller like a gt28r. If I hit 400whp I'll be more than happy ;)

i agree, just build it with what you have. its will still run fine with 9:1, and it will be ready to go for turbo.

Like matt said its easier to break in a fresh motor without a turbo setup. There is way less chance of putting the fresh motor in a lean situation when its N/A. Not to mention a fresh ls/vtec with only 9:1 compression is still a snappy little bitch! Let everything break in properly and when the funds come through boost and tune that shit.

thnx for all the responses

I will make a new thread of the car and how it performs 9.1 n/a. I'll post some dyno graphs for sh*ts n giggles because it will be tuned on a dyno

how do you know that?! haha j/k

320whp is a nice #. I want to have a quick spooling setup so I'm leaning towards a gt30r or maybe something smaller like a gt28r. If I hit 400whp I'll be more than happy ;)

GT3076R if you plan on seeng 400whp.

A GT28R will strain to get you there.

Back