LS/Vtec build.......NEED HELP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

noobvang

OK, here is the inportant mods on the motor:

B16 head with .15 milled and PnP on intake
B18a Block with .10 redeck
Pr3 pistons
JDM ITR intake man.
Erics Racing 70mm throttle
GSR Fuel Rail
96 LX Ruel Line
Stock LX injectors
-(tell me if you need more mods listed)

Car is 96 civic lx
lx harness repinned
96 JDM ITR ECU
**No CEL Codes**

OK, Here is the problem:

Motor starts up ok but revs up to like 3k roughly and revs down then dies. Does this about 3-4 times then will start up, but idle rough.

Motor will idle rough, then when ecu kicks in (slight bump in rev), motor will idle smooth.

Here is my problem, when I go to give it some gas or throttle, the car will die instantly. If done really slow, motor will rev up slowly then die, but if I close the throttle quickly, the motor will jump back alive again. :blink:
I have an air/fuel gauge installed, when giving the motor gas, the gauge will read rich then make its way towards lean untill the motor dies.
If I open the throttle really fast, I can hear the motor suck air like madd (Really loud), then as if it choked and dies. :blink:

My concluson for tonight:

I am assuming right now that the fuel rail and the fuel line are not compatible with each other. Thus killing my fuel pressure leading to my problem. Why I say this is my LX fuel rail is similar with design function except for one thing. Where the banjo fitting on the fuel line fits over the fuel rail, my LX unit has two holes accesing(sp?) the fuel rail. The GSR unit doesn't have any hole, instead the nut that bolt the banjo to the fuel rail is where the fuel enters the fuel rail. I figure that the fuel line is the problem here?

I am still open to suggestions, but if anyone has experienced this or similar, please do tell what you did :worthy: .

OK Problem solved. Just as I suspected it to be, the fuel line.

Now another problem, the motor is running super lean and motor might be running in limp mode(i think).

When running the type r ecu, have no CEL but still the same problem.
When running the P72 ecu, have my second O2 and the crank sensor(don't have any of these installed).

How do you know if you are running in limp mode or not?

Why is the motor running super lean?

Can Timming cause these problems?

Anybody help? Motor revs fine when idle, all this happens when trying to drive the car. But running lean at idle and driving is the problem, goes rich when actually flooring it while idling. Any help??? :worthy:

Oh yea, when trying to drive the car, I had my brother and my cousin following me. They said that they actually saw my car shoot out flames! Is this bad? My car is olny running NA.

Can it be the gas, car has been parked for 2.5 months.

And again, Timming an issue here too? Checke it already, look correct.

Anymore help would be nice.

i can maybe give you some ideas, but i don't know about answers. i've been having similar questions on my own car lately. first off that a/f gauge is shit. i have a 600 dollar greddy a/f guage with it's own o2 sensor and it still sucks. you can't trust them. especially if your car is blowing flames. if it's doing that, at least at that point in the rpm range it's running super rich and the exhaust temp is igniting the left over gas in the combustion chamber. timing can certainly be an issue. if the car is advanced too far than it will run lean (distributer turned counter clock wise, toward the windshield, i think) and too rich if it's retarded so far. also, when you adjusted your timing, did you reset the computer? if not, it may have went right back to where it was.

I did sooooo many things already.

I did a vaccum test, seems like I might be leaking at the manifold. Hope this really is the problem cause I didn't change the old gasket out.

I couldn't really do my timing yet cause I don't have the right gun and the idle wont stay still.

You should have replaced the IM gasket, I had a bouncing idle as well and a vaccuum leak because of an old IM gasket was the problem. Replace that gasket and see if that fixes it.

OK, got the hondata one on order already. But its gonna be a week :(

I just hope that fix it, been out of a car for......... 3 months now :angry:

:( lesson learned late.........

Hope this fix the problem. Thing is, the motor idles fine(revs too) but when you go to actually drive the car, motor stall or heasatent(sp?) and cant rev or drive over 2k rpm and under 30mph. Do you guys think that I have another problem too? :(

Well, I have two ecu's that i'm using. A P72 and a JDM P73, the P72 runs better tho.

I know that it has the spark, got a MSD Blaster SS coil installed.
Bout fuel, my A/F guage says lean all the time, except when I really floor the gas pedal, then it jumps to rich and falls back. :(

I might have an OBDI ecu tried out in a few days, hope this helps the motor.

what year ECU do u have?
what Distributor are u using?

make sure the distributor is the same OBD as the ECU
since the ECU u are using is a OBD-2, you need to have a OBD 2 Distributor...if you already have one, replace it with another GSR distributor from a 96-97 integra GSR, and see if that fix the problem.
and if you are using the TPS plug from the LX harness, it might be revered in compare to the TB you are using.

if you have a 96 LX......i can direct you wo a site where you can recheck the wiring your did and see if you messed up somewhere. dont quote me on this one..i am sure about the 88-91 Dx, but not about the 96+

MAIN 6 gen swap PAGE
Type R in 96 Hatch Dx

About wireing, everything has been rewired already, correctly too.

Bout the dizzy, I'm using a 99-00 si unit. Hope this ain't a problem too.

Originally posted by noobvang@Sep 30 2003, 02:39 PM
About wireing, everything has been rewired already, correctly too.

Bout the dizzy, I'm using a 99-00 si unit. Hope this ain't a problem too.

hmm.....you see that is where i am not sure..there are two different OBD2 and u have the first one ECU, and you are using the second one distributor.

it should work. email the guys who wrote the TYPE R swap in the 96 hatch. they will be able to help you.

i might have that problem soon, i have a LS/VTEC to build and i only have a 99-00 civic SI ECU on hand. i have the adaptor for the ECU plugs, but not the distributor.

hmm...in about 15 mins i am goin to a friends house to drop off tools, he has a 99 hatch with a USDM 00 SI B16A and it is giving him some problems, so he got the complete USDM 00 SI harness, and we are puttin it in tonight. (the B16A was in a 96 Hatch, and then we swapped it over to a 99 hatch, so maybe he has an idea of how to help you)......before this, i was strickly OBD-1 *check my sig* i might even convert this teg to OBD-1

i will let you know tonight.

I might be able to borrow my cousins dizzy from his 97 GSR, might have to be this weekend tho. I'll see what happens when I do try it out.

i went to my friends house, he said he dont remember any problems when he had the 00' B16A in the 96' hatch, but he also said he had the 00' SI ECU on that setup. So basically he shouldn't have any problems.

Check the sensors on your throttle body, sounds like you have them reversed. The plugs are the same for the MAP and TPS. Had a car brought to the shop after he had months of problems which led to me switching two plugs and turning his throttle body gasket around so it no longer blocked of his fast idle port. Incorrect cam timing could have the same type of consequences, the distributor is driven by the cam so if you are only a tooth off it is still too much to be adjusted out by the distributor.

Back