LS/VTEC Compression Yikes!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EKJOE

Im starting to get a little scared here, I ordered a Mugen 2 layer head gasket a few days back because I wanted to get my compression up.

This was based on this calculator:

Compression Calculator - Honda, Acura Tech Website, tutorials, tuning and HOW-TO's. Drag racing, street racing, road racing - C-speedracing.com

This calculator told me my compression would be 11.7:1 with the 2 layer gasket.

Then im poking around on here and I saw someone say "This is the most accurate compression calculator.

ZealAutowerks - Honda Compression Calculator

It told me my compression was going to be 12.2:1, and im like "Oh Shit!" Thats to high for me running around spring, summer and fall in this thing on 93 octane.

Then I go to this calculator:

.:FFS TechNet : B-series CR Calculator :.

And it tells me my compression is going to be 11.4:1 with the 2 layer head gasket.

So im sure you can see my dilemma, a .7 differnce between these 3 calculators leaves me scratching my head, Am I about to screw myself or am I going to be fine?

PR3 Pistons
B18A Block, Stock bore (81mm) not decked
PR4 LS Rods
B16A Head
Mugen 2 layer head gasket (0.017 Thickness)

I've also heard that the Zeal calculator was the most accurate. 12.2 shouldn't be too high for 93 octane if you cut back the timing just a little bit. Although this method will take away some useful HP away.

Have it tuned, I.E. Crome or Hondata, for 93 octane and you'll be golden.

Or you could also just return or sell that mugen head gasket and go with an OEM one. OEM is better IMO anyway...

Oh yea I could for sure return it.

But I dont want to return it if my compression is going to be below 12 using it.

I hear what your saying about using hondata (Which I wasent planning on doing)I was just going to socket,chip and dyno tune at the end...Might be a good option if the compression is indeed over 12 once the car is finished, Its either that or rip the head back off and swap gaskets.

But then again, I dont want to use the damn $165.00 mugen gasket and put it over 12...But then again I dont want to use my OEM gasket and have the first calculator be right and im at 11.3:1 at the end.

F*ck me.

Back