LS/VTEC No VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

doubleE

I'm just finished my LS/VTEC setup about two weeks ago, and thought everything was cool. So, I drove the car for about 1000 mile just to let it break in correctly. finally, i tried it out, but VTEC won't kick in. Everytime I hit 5700rpm, it keeps on throwing code 21 which is vtec solenoid. I'm pretty sure i wired the vtec solenoid correctly. Can it be that there's not enough oil pressure? (I used the golden eagle ls/vtec oil line kit). Or is it that my wiring is crappy? I even solder the wire. So, Did anybody have this problem before?

here is my setup:

-96 b18b1 block
-stock obd1 b16a head
-oversized pr3 piston
-manual ls tranny
-stock b16a maniford
-apexi exhuast maniford
-stock p30 ecu
-ls wire harness plus custom vtec/knock sensor wires

its either wired wrong, or the solenoid itself is shot. check that its going to the right pin on the ecu. trace it from the ecu all the way to the sensor.

if that looks right, try to borrow a friends (just about any vtec solenoid will work.... even d-series) or hit up a junk yard for one.

code 21 is for the solenoid, and has nothing to do with oil pressure (a seperate code)

Originally posted by doubleE@Jul 27 2005, 10:02 PM
I'm just finished my LS/VTEC setup about two weeks ago, and thought everything was cool. So, I drove the car for about 1000 mile just to let it break in correctly. finally, i tried it out, but VTEC won't kick in. Everytime I hit 5700rpm, it keeps on throwing code 21 which is vtec solenoid. I'm pretty sure i wired the vtec solenoid correctly. Can it be that there's not enough oil pressure? (I used the golden eagle ls/vtec oil line kit). Or is it that my wiring is crappy? I even solder the wire. So, Did anybody have this problem before?

here is my setup:

-96 b18b1 block
-stock obd1 b16a head
-oversized pr3 piston
-manual ls tranny
-stock b16a maniford
-apexi exhuast maniford
-stock p30 ecu
-ls wire harness plus custom vtec/knock sensor wires
[post=532178]Quoted post[/post]​

It has to be your solenoid it has to be the problem it is probaly junk so see if u can get anothe one.

Back