ls vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tazinva

I got a teg with a ls vtec swap with a spun bearing. Has a stock ls crank I need to no if I need to use a better crank like eagle. It has a built head edlebrock valves,springs,cams,cam gears,type r intake 72mm Ericks racing throttlebody dc header I think 2.5 full pipe high flow cat the bottom has eagle rods cp pistons 11.5to 1 comp rev limit is at 9500 sorry its my first Honda motor buildup I've done a lot of other stuff but not Hondas would love to get any help I can I'm not positive it has edlebrock cams that are marked M and 2 and on the back is eched ether HOBIN or HO8IN any help would be great and if I'm doing this I would like to do it the right way I already called eagle and got a new rod and I know I have to get a new crank but everyone said the stock crank can take up to 400 HP but can it take the rpms I want it to last its tuned to so save gas till vtec and the cams start witch is about 6000rpms the guy that spun the bearing said he was getting 32 mpg on the highway but I will use it like to have fun

Definitely not a master of engine building, but I'm having a hard time seeing your crank as being the weak link in your build. To be safe you have have it checked out, but I would invest the money somewhere else in the build instead of buying an after market crank.

I see what ur saying but I have to get one anyway so do I go stock or spend some money and get something good I just want it right and long lasting

Is your broken or something? If you absolutely have to replace it just get an OEM one, and have it micro-polished and balanced if you feel you have to do something to it.

One of your cams should say H08IN, the other should say H08EX, Skunk2 Stage 2 cams.

Thanks for ur help I just thought that with the money that was in it would be a good idea to put a good crank being that it spun a bearing once before don't no if it was lack of oil or a bad build the guy who put it together put the best parts in it and it only had 25000 miles put on it to me that does not make cents and if anyone can help I need a crank

I don't no a lot about what I'm doing on this build could u tell me if this is a good combo to make a strong nice power plant by the way its going in a dc2 4door I only paid 800 for the car with the spun bearing so i feel I cant lose on this deal I hope I did good getting this car

Stock crank is good it is rare to break a crank. A GSR crank would be good also but I think you need to use GSR rods because the stroke will change, correct me if I am wrong. A well balanced LS crank will be fine should handle plenty of power. I have seen stock cranks in motors pushing 500+whp with no issues.

quit asking the same question. Get it to a machine shop and have them measure it and check it.

Otherwise, if you don't know what to do with it, part them out. My offer for S2S2 cam $100 since you have no idea what they are.

^ That.

Get it check by a shop, make sure it's good, replace anything that was wrecked, and rebuild what you've got. If it's done right you'll be very happy.

are you using plasti guage? make sure your oil clearences are good on all mains and rods, also make sure you crank isnt out of round.

once you have that done you can rev untill your power drops on forged rods.

The crank is trash and no I will not part it out come on give me a break I no that the cams r good cams I just need a crank I got the new rod from eagle can someone help me out please to those of u who answer me questions thanks big help for those of u who try to get something for free go find some other sucker to get stuff from

Based on your need for info and those who are already trying to help, I think you need to address how you know the crank is no longer good.

How deep is the damage?
Are you sure it can't be turned down and just run a bigger bearing?

People on here keep questioning b/c it is possible the crank is salvageable (unless its out of round like Magana stated above)

If it is no good.....I say you get a hold of GSR crank and rods. I would feel more confident in its longevity with a crank meant to rev that high.

10-12 years ago.....I first learned of a LS/VTEC. I too was once mesmerized by the thought. They were known to not last long, even in built all motor applications (typical spun bearing). Years and years later, I did my fair share of research.....thinking/hoping it would be probable now that time had past and guys learned things. Not saying it hasn't been done but I have known a few LS/VTEC owners and talked to many shop owners......never heard of a Frankenstein running much past 25K miles. Keep it below 8k rpm's and you increase your chances.

Refer to what I said above^ and what CArfrog said above.

Dude!!!!!!! you really have to get a professional opinion on the crank. Please take it to a machine shop and have them measure it and check it. Have them take all the measurement and from there go get yourself some oem bearings with the measurement given to you from the machine shop.

If you don't know, Go buy a Helms manual and start learning your basics. I only say OEM bearings because theres a slight chance if you go aftermarket you can "fuck it up" since it's your first time.

I have not used any oem bearings in all the hondas are worked on. I only advice it to some people who Im doing work for not honda related. In this case, you will be the first.

And how do you know that those rods are fuck'd as well?

The guy give you a massive deal, he literally give it to you for free. If that ever happens to me, I will drink till I puke...yuke!!!

Like I said I have taken it to a machine shop he told me it was trash I got the rod from eagle to match the rest it only spun the bearing on # 4 it was lack of oil I no that now u could smell the of the oil when I pulled the pan I'm sorry but I will not use oem bearings I have people that no what there doing to help me thank god lol like I said I have built motors for jeeps Chevy but now hondas i no I can do it just would like some answers and yall have done a good job of that for that I thank u I think I'm going to use acl bearings so what crank should I use gsr ls or eagle dose the gsr crank have a shorter stroke or is it the rods that r shorter I WANT IT RIGHT

Like I said I have taken it to a machine shop he told me it was trash

That's the whole problem, you didn't say you took it to a machine shop

I got the rod from eagle to match the rest it only spun the bearing on # 4 it was lack of oil I no that now u could smell the of the oil when I pulled the pan I'm sorry but I will not use oem bearings I have people that no what there doing to help me thank god lol like I said I have built motors for jeeps Chevy but now hondas i no I can do it just would like some answers and yall have done a good job of that for that I thank u I think I'm going to use acl bearings so what crank should I use gsr ls or eagle dose the gsr crank have a shorter stroke or is it the rods that r shorter I WANT IT RIGHT

Know, know, know, know, know, know, know, know. Come on man, this isn't instant messenger, you have time to write out correct, and complete words. It makes it so much easier to understand what you are asking. Also, commas, and periods help tremendously.

Back