Ls/vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Civic EJ1 SiR

Anyhow i was originally looking into getting a GSR motor for my 93' ex coupe...but i have heard about the advantages to getting an LS VTEC instead..all i need to know is a the answers to these questions...

1. Is this swap going to be cheaper than the GSR??
2. What tranny should i use??
3. Is this motor OK for turbo??
4. Which head should i use??
5. How can i make this motor rev as high as a VTEC motor??
6. THe ecu should correspond with the head right??
7. How reliable is this??
8. How much should i expect to pay??
9. What kind of HP and TQ numbers can i be lookng at??
- I know that depends on the head so lets say..b18c or b16a JDM AND USDM

Thanx for helping me out...peace...

i also forgot to ask..where can i get these parts from....every website i goto only has complete swaps never just the block or the head separate...

1. Is this swap going to be cheaper than the GSR??
No, unless you already have the LS engine this swap will cost you more than the GSR swap.

2. What tranny should i use??
For NA the Ideal tranny is a JDM ITR.

3. Is this motor OK for turbo??
Sure, I have seen several lsvtec's running boost successfully, but why? It costs a ton, it would be cheaper to boost a GSR or LS engine and you would get comprable results.

4. Which head should i use??
Which ever head you can get for a reasonable price. There is no significant difference between heads. I think you will find it is easier to get a B16 head than any other.

5. How can i make this motor rev as high as a VTEC motor??
Install some ARP rod bolts on the LS rods and you are good to go for 8200 RPM.

6. THe ecu should correspond with the head right??
Any DOHC VTEC ECU from a B series works. I am running a P72, but you can run any ECU that matches you OBD version and came out of a DOHC VTEC car.

7. How reliable is this??
As reliable as you build it. If you skimp and try to go cheap than I doubt this engine lasts you down the street. If you build it right it can be as solid if not more than a GSR swap.

8. How much should i expect to pay??
I started with an Integra LS (read I had the LS bottom end already) and mine cost me about $2500. Add the cost of the block and the cost of a tranny to that.

9. What kind of HP and TQ numbers can i be lookng at??
There is really no way to predict this as each build is different, but I don't think that 200 hp at the flywheel is an unreal expectation.

where can i get these parts from....every website i goto only has complete swaps never just the block or the head separate
I bought a B16A1 long block and stripped it for parts for my build (pistons, head,...). Go to a junkyard and look for parts, try www.thepartstrader.com

One more thing, we have a great post in our FAQ about building this engine, check it out.

Back