LS Vtech Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboyx

Okay so i'm swaping my d16 motor for a LS Vtec...right now i got higher compression pistons, stage 2 clutch and a civic type r ecu...i was wondering if i can go with a type R head...maybe gets some type R camshafts springs and retainers..and maybe stick to some aftermarket cam gears..i dont know how strong my motor is already because im still in the process of swaping it..but the guy who i bought the swap from said it should redline at 9.5 and be running in low 14s...what do you guys think? and help me out with more mods guys..thanks.

Any Honda head can be built for performance. I say get whatever you can get your hands on for a decent price. Take the money you saved, and put it into other areas such as breathing and a tune.

Okay so i'm swaping my d16 motor for a LS Vtec...right now i got higher compression pistons, stage 2 clutch and a civic type r ecu...i was wondering if i can go with a type R head...maybe gets some type R camshafts springs and retainers..and maybe stick to some aftermarket cam gears..i dont know how strong my motor is already because im still in the process of swaping it..but the guy who i bought the swap from said it should redline at 9.5 and be running in low 14s...what do you guys think? and help me out with more mods guys..thanks.

if your talking about the ls redlining at 9500 that guy's full of shit

Who cares where it redlines? Get it on a dyno and run it till it stops making power, and set the limiter about 200 rpms above that. Not even necessary to run a motor that high unless its making power to that point.

well i'd rather get a type r head. since type r's are build for performance

The difference between the Type R and B16 head, aside from cams and all that, is some minor port work. You can pick up a B16 head, and with the money you save over the Type R have some port work done and buy other parts. LS/VTEC's get a bad rap because ppl slap em together and try to burry their tach as hard as they can. Unless youve got parts in the bottom end to support the power that the top end is capable of, dont exceed the stock LS redline. Thats how you wind up with a boat anchor. If your not worried about how long it lasts, then build your top end and tune it to match.

well i've got a gsr head on the ls block..the vtec looks like its tapped correctly..well yeah..the guy who said it redlines at 9.5 is prob bull..but i want higher compressions cuz i want to go all motor with it....some people told me i should get a hondata ecu and get it dyno tuned..i dont know if thats a good idea.

Ya no kiddin' if you don't get a tune your ignorant. Even with an intake and exhaust your stock ecu isn't giving the right fuel curve meaning that extra air flow could run a tad bit lean and over a while ruin your engine if not tuned properly.( im not sating its gonna blow just maybe wear your rings out a little faster, depending on how you drive and currant condition of the motor.

Its not me, its just what the books say, so please don't listen.

An intake and/or an exhaust will not change the air flow enough to where the o2 sensor can't adjust accordingly. I don't know what 'book' you're reading but you should throw it away...

lol...well yeah i know i'm gonna have to get it tuned...but i got one question..how do i know how to fix the timing correctly..i've been moving my motor around alot and building it and i people told me that i should get my timing done just to be safe so that i dont mess up my pistons.

and uh...does any one know how to install a skunk 2 manifold? i've got one for my gsr head but i kinda got lost and some of the sensors are all over the place...i need to know where to hook up my hoses to my skunk 2 manifold..and where some of the senors are...i dont really mess with manifolds so i have no idea..

Btw..yes im a newb!! I've recently got into cars so i still need help and want as much advice as i can get. Thanks.

so yeah any one who knows how to install a skunk 2 manifold for gsr's please help me out..i need to know where the senosors go and where and which hoses go into the manifold and sensors..and i also need to know how to fix my timing correctly. thanks guys

skunk2 has instructions for their manis on their site, theyre not the best but its better then what you know right?

Ya no kiddin' if you don't get a tune your ignorant. Even with an intake and exhaust your stock ecu isn't giving the right fuel curve meaning that extra air flow could run a tad bit lean and over a while ruin your engine if not tuned properly.( im not sating its gonna blow just maybe wear your rings out a little faster, depending on how you drive and currant condition of the motor.

Its not me, its just what the books say, so please don't listen.

Jeebus...we got newbs advising newbs here...

ha ha ya that's what i was thinkin, come on do some REAL research here... skunk 2 pro series is for N/A edlebrock victor x is for turbo proven over and over by the dyno not what some jagoff says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back