lsvtec pistons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khan

Village idiot
when building my lsvtec what pistons should i use if i want to use nitrous?

im thinking ctr pistons at 12.5/1 CR would not be good for nitrous. am i wrong?

and one more thing...
everyone says that useing nitrous is all about fuel managment and not Necessarily internals. on a 100-125 shot what should i focus on, fuel, internals, or both?

basically tell me how to build my lsvtec for a 100-125 shot of nitrous

:worthy: . hell ya! i love this one!

the comp ratio shouldn't matter, but they better be forged Alum and not cast.

look into running a wet kit you'll have less worries about blowin shit up
more control over fuel managment

if your worried about what rods to get, try and find some killer magnesium ones. strong and light as fuck. really $$$$$ too

Any VTEC piston that will fit the LS rod is good. I have no experience with N2O myself, but get some Eagle rods and Endyne Roller wave pistons for good rods and forged pistons.

The compression is fine as long as it's tuned properly and you run race gas. Make sure the pistons and rods are forged as mentioned above. 100-125 shot can be done on stock internals but since you want that high of a CR you might want to get custom pistons for your application made, because CTR pistons in an LSVTEC may hit the valves...I'm not sure. You won't need just any old wet kit, you will need direct port wet. Each intake runner has its own fogger nozzle spraying a mixture of fuel and nitrous. This is to ensure even distribution of nitrous and fuel to all cyilnders. You'll also need to make sure you have sufficient fuel and ignition components, and a nitrous controller isn't a bad idea. Check out the Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind, I know a bunch of people running it, nothing but good experiences.

I think that the reliefs are big enough in the CTR pistons to clear the valves, but if you want to use Honda pistons just use some B16 pistons. I know they work, and the yeild something like 11.5:1.

i dont want to run race gas, just regular ol' pump gas (91).

dubster, what setup are you running? and how much did it cost you.

Khan no way around it, if your gonna run juice your gonna need some high octane fuel, and get a colder plug to help fight detonation.

also, running nitrious on cast pistons (any oem honda pistons, typer or b16) is a bad idea, they are brittle, but honda cast's their pistons for the close piston to cylinder wall clearance they run... if you want to juice it, get some forged pistons like CRX-YEM said.

oh almost forgot to mention, if you don't spend the cash on the wet kit, you'll be sorry, a dry NOS kit will eventually eat your rings up really bad. and then you'll need a nice rebuild.

so a good set of quality rings is a must

There's no better ringset than OEM. Dry is fine for a 75 shot or less, it won't harm the engine. The only reason to go wet is above a 75 shot, and then you need direct port anyways. The stock pistons, although being cast, can handle lots of boost/nitrous. I know a lot of people running a 125 shot on stock internals, going through about a bottle a week for a long time...still blow good compression #'s, and good leakdown #'s too.

As for me, I'm just running a Zex 75 shot, with two stage colder plugs gapped at .030" for nitrous, and 3 degrees of ignition retard on the juice.

in my experience a wet kit is definately better,I dont know about the whole direct port thing though.It is a fun way to inject nitrous but can also be very time consuming and expensive to fix if not plumbed properly.NX makes a single nozzle wet kit that is great I have it and my b20 loves the 125 shot I feed it regularly,I have 12:1 pistons and I have yet to have problems.As far as having to spend alot on superhigh octane fuel that is easy to remedy,get a one or 2 gal fuel cell and another fuel pump to feed the fuel solenoid.I race on either 89 or 93 octane and put 110 in my cell for the nos.I can send instructions on how to do it if you want.If you plan on any larger a shot of gas then high compression is not what you want.nos big shot motors are built the same as turbo applications because nos chemocally does what boost does.
hope this helps.

Reasons not to like a single fogger wet:
1. I don't like the idea of fuel going through my air intake and throttle body, it likes to stick.
2. That fuel can ignite in the intake pipe, causing a backfire in the intake.
3. 125 shot on a single fogger is not a good idea, the distribution of fuel and nitrous to all cylinders is very sketchy once you get above a 75 shot.
Nitrous loves high compression. As long as it's correctly tuned, you will be fine.

Originally posted by dubster99@Oct 3 2002, 12:01 AM
...As for me, I'm just running a Zex 75 shot, with two stage colder plugs gapped at .030" for nitrous, and 3 degrees of ignition retard on the juice.

i have a zex kit getting ready to go in... what spark plugs are you using? how do you like them? any problems running a 75 shot? oh yea and how is your timing retarded... cam gear or electronic (computer)?

You need to retard the ignition timing, not cam timing. I run ngk 8 series plugs, which are two stages colder than my stock integra plug. No problems with the 75 shot. Good luck, and happy spraying. Just make sure to make a few passes after you install it, and check the plugs to see how it's running.

Originally posted by spedphreks@Oct 3 2002, 09:29 AM
.As far as having to spend alot on superhigh octane fuel that is easy to remedy,get a one or 2 gal fuel cell and another fuel pump to feed the fuel solenoid.I race on either 89 or 93 octane and put 110 in my cell for the nos.I can send instructions on how to do it if you want.If you plan on any larger a shot of gas then high compression is not what you want.nos big shot motors are built the same as turbo applications because nos chemocally does what boost does.
hope this helps.

yes. can you please send me those instructions.

and seing hows im going to be buying After market pistons and rods i think ill go cr-vtec instead. i mean why not? the extra cost of the block isnt going to hurt the ol wallet that much.

alright...i have changed my friggen mind for the last time! well ive finally decided to go crvtec with a 150 shot set up of nitrous. i dont care how long this takes me to build, i will build it! and im going to be selling the camery in a few weeks..hahahaha more money! i hope to have enough money by the end of this month to have the crvtec put together. then when i sell the car i will buy the nitrous kit.

i plan on having forged pistons/rods (dont know what compression to run), a wet direct port nos system with jacob mastermind controler, purge, and remote bottle opener.

questions:

what fuel upgrades are needed to reach my 150 shot goal? injecters, fuel pump, fuel rail, fuel managment?

how do you retard ignition timeing? aftermarket ignition system or what?

ignition timing can be retarded with a turn of a distributor.

but I believe you might want to look into something similar to a boost retarding device. MSD makes one. since your gonna need to retard the timing more when the N2O is used.

If you want a 150 shot you'll need direct port. As for your ignition setup, just get an MSD 6a or something similar. Then you'll want to get a Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind, which is a nitrous controller. You can control the rpm nitrous kicks in at, and the rpm that it achieves full flow, and it kicks in gradually. It also can set a rev limiter for the nitrous, control timing, and you can make fuel adjustments as well. It only retards timing when the nitrous is flowing. www.jacobselectronics.com

Back