Matte kicks ass!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid4

I have been seeing that cool ass flat paint and i want to know more about it. Is it just a simple primer/sealer? Is it applied with cans or gun? Matte clear-coat? Put an end to my curiosity, please! I wanna do it! thanks

i decided to wait on replying on this till you posted something. im going with semi gloss, which is just a little glossier than flat. i was wondering about the clear too. tpp, should i use a semi gloss clear too?

Are they using cans? If so, what about engine enamel, you know, the hi temp stuff. they make a low gloss or satin. Thats just below semi.

flat paint and satin paint are the 2 types of paint used for that "primered" look. the true enthusiast (such as myself) use whats called tintable primer. tintable primer is a primer that you mix with what ever color you want your car to be primered. you can only tint the tintable primer 10% with the color you want or else it will have a flat paint. this costs more to be, but is better IMO. here is a pic of my 1997 Honda Civic EX that had the maximum 10% of green mixed into the tintable primer:

s3e769ed657579.jpg

as you can see it doesnt look to bad...for primer. the tintable primer has to be mixed at whatever paint store you purchase it from. they will do the mix for a fairly reasonable cost. you can also ask them for more information on tintable primer as they will know more than me.

whether you use tintable primer, flat paint or satin paint...you will have to spray it on with a paint gun and compressor as it will be alot better looking and not look like shit :)

as far as adding clear coat. you can do it, but then your car wont be considered "primered".

i hope i answered all questions. any more, IM me on AIM: BodyDroppedNikes

:worthy: THAT is what im talking about! I want my crx to be flat black. I wont have to get that mixed luckily. I do believe they make a matte clear though. Not sure about auto paint.

flat black= :thumbsup:

although flat black is getting "played out" because alot of people are using it....its still a good choice. i would go with a color that way your car would be a little more unique. when i showed my Honda Civic, alot of people at shows never had seen a green primered car. most people use grey or flat black or even red primer. the green primer gave me an edge i guess you could say plus not too many people had ever seen a primered Honda Civic competing AND in the Under Construction Class at shows. got a few first place trophies with the car :)

they make flat automotive paints

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Mar 24 2004, 10:00 AM
hmmmmmm what about the chalkboard paint :hmm:
that could be pretty cool

Hahah, then you could draw your own graphics on it, and erase them for new ones when you get bored :D

When i switch to dohc from sohc, i could change the s to a d! hahaha. Really though, the first civic i saw was the green and black 03 si hatch that was painted with the chalkboard stuff. I just love flat black. I know a lot of people are doing it, but i cant help it. :shrug2:

Where do you find that shit, and what is the prosses of applying it?

I imagine you can find it at an Art supply store, or hobby shop like Micheals or something. Application I believe is rattle can type.

that is exactly what i was talking about ...... that is real fuckin cool

:thumbsup:

actually its an automotive paint that you can buy.

guess who makes it........

....APC :ph34r:

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Apr 19 2004, 10:35 PM
actually its an automotive paint that you can buy.

guess who makes it........

....APC :ph34r:

no freakin way. i dont believe it one bit.

something useful from APC?

Back