MC swap w/o brake swap?

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
I know I just recently read somewhere about this, but don't think it was here. Anyway, I scored an uber cheap15/16's from a 91 EX today, so I was thinking about putting it on.

Has anyone here swapped a bigger MC onto stock set up, and if so, what were the results? I will be getting either GSRs when I get back, or VTi's while I am here, but I would just rather get parts on, or gone before I depart Germany.

posol

RETIRED
Staff member
put it on. the only thing it will do will give you less pedal travel per bite. it sends more fluid out. the 91 ex master is a nice cheap easy mod. autozone sells remnu's for like 50 bucks + core.

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
yeah, it will feel like it bites harder due to less pedal travel like B said. I'm upgrading as soon as i get my stainless lines and my rear disc

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 15 2005, 07:34 PM
put it on. the only thing it will do will give you less pedal travel per bite. it sends more fluid out. the 91 ex master is a nice cheap easy mod. autozone sells remnu's for like 50 bucks + core.
[post=512528]Quoted post[/post]​

$50? Ouch, got mine for $15 :)

So, no worries about locking up, just a tighter pedal feel?

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Yea, for a part that old, normally I would go with a rebuilt one, but this is way clean, and the fluid residue in the resevoir was nice and clean, not built up shit or particles, so I think it is in real good shape. Only thing is one of the fittings is stuck, so I gotta get it on a vise so I can get it out.

bcman

you'll have less pedal travel, but will require more pedal force. it's like having a shorter lever arm.

phunky.buddha

Admin with a big stick
Admin
VIP
:thumbsup:

Only $50 plus core from AutoZone? I have an extra one lying around... could just go get the 15/16 and drop it into Katie's car.

97CTR

I have a ctr mc lying around that I got with my swap, anyone know if that has more displacemant than the ex mc........sorry threadjack

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
mine was 75 plus a 57 core at autozone. and i dont even know if im gonna ge thte right one.

i went to pep boys first. and got one, but it was the wrong bolt pattern. then i got one that was the right bolt pattern but the wrong size (13/16). then he looked in the computer and found the right one, the 15/16 one, but there warehouse didnt stock it so he couldnt order it.

off to advance. they dont even carry the 15/16 one. and they only carry the 13/16 and the 7/8.

off to autozone... ordered the MC, but it didnt say on the computer what size it was so we will see tomorrow when it comes in. i hope its the right one :(

i dont understand how someone can stock the wrong part for a car. like what if i was some average joe with a 90-91 EX. i walk in and they give me the wrong part repeatedly. or dont know any better and install the 13/16 or 7/8 to replace the 15/16. its just stupid. if you dont stock it, dont put another part in its place.

[/rant]

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
also, one thing to note is that when you replace the MC you will actually have to press harder to get the same brake effect, but as B said the pedal will have less travel. im not sure if this is the case when you match the booster with the MC though.

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
I was wondering the same thing about the booster too. I have the GSR booster and a VTi 15/16's MC with the ears facing the opposite way of the Civics, but I am going to have to cut and reflare the fitting, as one of the outlets is bigger. I was under the impression by looking at it, that the booster only moved the plunger inside the MC, though I guess they could have different travel distances, any one know?

posol

RETIRED
Staff member
Originally posted by 97CTR@Jun 19 2005, 01:47 PM
I have a ctr mc lying around that I got with my swap, anyone know if that has more displacemant than the ex mc........sorry threadjack
[post=513946]Quoted post[/post]​

ctr's are different... you're going to have to bend hard lines and reflare.

posol

RETIRED
Staff member
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 19 2005, 03:34 PM
I was wondering the same thing about the booster too. I have the GSR booster and a VTi 15/16's MC with the ears facing the opposite way of the Civics, but I am going to have to cut and reflare the fitting, as one of the outlets is bigger. I was under the impression by looking at it, that the booster only moved the plunger inside the MC, though I guess they could have different travel distances, any one know?
[post=513975]Quoted post[/post]​

if you're going to go through all that hassel, you might as well get an ITR 1".
the only reason to go with the 15/16 from the 91 ex is ease.

i had a compelte gsr master and booster in my garage, but i decided that it was too much work, and just went with the upgraded master.

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Yea, I just was wondering if the GSR booster and the Civic booster had the same or different travel differences. I doubt it, but hey, why not ask. I am more than likely going to be doing all this next weekend, as I am going this week to the Honda guy to find a conversion.

posol

RETIRED
Staff member
the gsr booster is much bigger. you may even have a hard time getting it into position, as it will hit the intake manifold.

phunky.buddha

Admin with a big stick
Admin
VIP
Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 19 2005, 03:27 PM
the gsr booster is much bigger. you may even have a hard time getting it into position, as it will hit the intake manifold.
[post=514016]Quoted post[/post]​

Are you sure? Mine fit just fine.

E_SolSi

Member of the 20 nut club
VIP
ive got an ITR master and booster in the sol with no problems
getting the booster in after the swap was a bit of a pain in the ass but everything fits fine once its all in possition

:shrug:

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 19 2005, 10:27 PM
[post=514016]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not talking about the physical size, I am wondering about the actuating rod inside of it, the one the pushes the plunger in teh MC, if it has more travel. I can fit the booster (not going to, just going to use the 91EX I have and sell the GSR/VTi combo). If need be, the rear mount can be unbolted and sway the motor forward to fit :)