Mechanics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mozzandherb

I was just wondering because it seems like alot of you know alot about cars, how many of you are certified mechanics? Or do most of you just learn along the way?

'If it blows up and/or catches on fire, you did it the wrong way'

I know nothing besides what I've learned from pulling my own cars apart and putting them back together. :)

I'll be taking a welding class this year, but that's it as far as it goes for formal training for me. :p

Originally posted by civicious@Jun 29 2005, 08:23 PM
[post=518144]Quoted post[/post]​

In that case according to trial and error you're about to get your ASE Masters Certificate :D

grew up in the back of a Napa store with a machine shop...then got trained to fix jets at the Air force, then got more schooling at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, then got an Airframe and powerplant licence from the FAA.

No ASE lic though...but I don't need it.....cars are simple. I just never have the money to buy real parts...only used junk that I have to re-build all the time. :(

Originally posted by civicious@Jun 29 2005, 03:23 PM
[post=518144]Quoted post[/post]​

lmao.

Me, I'm a google certified mechanic.

Wyotech graduate. I suck at engines and electrical, pretty good at any thing chassis related, but kick ass at auto transmissions. Since I'm only 19 maybe through the years I'll get better at the rest through experience....I hope.

eh no schooling for me... I guess i just started out by taking things apart when i was little like the lawn mower... lol... and having to put it back together.

its really not that hard, if you have something to follow by ie helms, its just that much easier..

No proper teachings for me. I apprenticed to an ase for a year for a while, but I still suck. AlthoughI do all my own work, shits always breaking.

I learned hard knocks way. It took me 14 years to get to where I am today, and a lot of bullshit could have been avoided if I invested $8000 in professional training. But my knowledge and common sense got me the job at the Ferrari shop. There are TONS of things to learn, tons of things to remember.

For instance, recently I had a problem that stumped EVERYONE but my dad (Who's a non-stop fuckin genius anyway). With my new starter and newly built engine, I had 5 grounding straps hooked up, and the ebrake cable was getting red hot (As well as 6" of the power steering hoses) and he said "It's your ground" and I flipped, because I had overkill of 5 grounding straps at that point. I hooked up a 6th and here I am.

So a lot of times, even all the experience isn't going to help. Multi-disciplined helps solve wierd problems.

-> Steve

i'm not a mecanic but i've got alot of body experiance 2year trade school and now i'm midway though a 2year associates degree that majors in autobody but i took brakes steering and suspension, welding, and elctrical. Plus all the backyard experiance. Oh and i work at monroe muffler&brake

wyo tech here as well. 16,000$ what a wast but i guess it looks good on the resume. went to work at honda and got certified thru them, then left and went to toyota, they never sent me to school but oh well.
they sent me to get my ase test and paid for them. i have 1 left to be a master certifed tech.

I applied to go to Lincoln Tech on 16th street in Indianapolis, but they wanted 11 grand for a one year 8-5 mon-friday course. And then I would have had to work full time to make rent, which was 300 bucks a month... I kinda wish I had gone.

As far as I know, wildbillhatchback is the only certified tech. that I am aware of. Don't call him a mechanic, he will get pissy :p

i mostly learned along the way, and many visits to the library; started with two-strokes and lawnmower engines when i was around 11 maybe; was always intriged by electronics so i knew a little about them already. ive pretty much messed with all types of motors except for rotary and turbines(although i did read about rotary and turbine engines for awhile).
formal education; only 2 years of autotech in HS(i pretty much knew almost everything but got to get more hands-on experience than i usually do),and now im working to get my automotive systems tech. AAS degree from community college.

Originally posted by Havok@Jun 29 2005, 11:39 PM
As far as I know, wildbillhatchback is the only certified tech. that I am aware of. Don't call him a mechanic, he will get pissy :p
[post=518396]Quoted post[/post]​

there;s also no K in his name.

why?

because it didin't fit :p

I don't believe in certficiations... I am self taught... working in garages, paying attention, taking things apart, etc etc...

Its like with A+ & MCSE techs... 95% of them don't know how to install a CD ROM, but they have a piece of paperwork from Microsoft that says they can run an I.T. department... Then they get mad at you, when you accidentally prove to the CEO of the company that they don't know shit, and aren't really qualified...

Then you get fired...

Not that I speak from personal experience or anything. :rolleyes:

Back