Mexico set to legalize drugs...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12535896/
MEXICO CITY - Mexico’s Congress approved a bill Friday decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana, ecstasy, cocaine and heroin for personal use — a measure sure to raise questions in Washington about Mexico’s commitment to the war on drugs.

The only step remaining was the signature of the president, whose office indicated he would sign it.

Mexican officials hope the law will help police focus on large-scale trafficking operations, rather than minor drug busts. The bill also stiffens penalties for trafficking and possession of drugs — even small quantities — by government employees or near schools, and maintains criminal penalties for drug sales.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

The Bush administration had no immediate reaction.

The bill, passed by Mexico’s Senate on a 53-26 vote with one abstention, had already been approved in the lower house of Congress and was sent to the desk of President Vicente Fox for his signature.

“This law gives police and prosecutors better legal tools to combat drug crimes that do so much damage to our youth and children,” presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said.

Will this hurt the war on drugs?

The bill says criminal charges will no longer be brought for possession of up to 25 milligrams of heroin, five grams of marijuana (about one-fifth of an ounce, or about four joints), and half a gram of cocaine — about half the standard street-size quantity, which is enough for several lines of the drug.

Array of other drugs allowed
“No charges will be brought against ... addicts or consumers who are found in possession of any narcotic for personal use,” according to the Senate bill, which also lays out allowable quantities for a large array of other drugs, including LSD, MDA, ecstasy — about two pills’ worth, — and amphetamines.

Some of the amounts are eye-popping: Mexicans would be allowed to possess 2.2 pounds of peyote, the button-sized hallucinogenic cactus used in some native Indian religious ceremonies.

Mexican law now leaves open the possibility of dropping charges against people caught with drugs if they are considered addicts and if “the amount is the quantity necessary for personal use.” But the exemption isn’t automatic.

The new bill drops the “addict” requirement — automatically allowing any “consumers” to have drugs — and sets out specific allowable quantities.

Sale of all drugs would remain illegal under the proposed law, unlike the Netherlands, where the sale of marijuana for medical use is legal and it can be bought with a prescription in pharmacies.

While Dutch authorities look the other way regarding the open sale of cannabis in designated coffee shops — something Mexican police seem unlikely to do — the Dutch have zero tolerance for heroin and cocaine. In both countries, commercial growing of marijuana is outlawed.

The effects could be significant, given that Mexico is rapidly becoming a drug-consuming nation as well as a shipment point for traffickers, and given the number of U.S. students who flock to border cities or resorts like Cancun and Acapulco on vacation.

“This is going to increase addictions in Mexico,” said Ulisis Bon, a drug treatment expert in Tijuana, where heroin use is rampant. “A lot of Americans already come here to buy medications they can’t get up there ... Just imagine, with heroin.”

Comments??

Wrong. Bull shit they are doing that.

My only problem with this is then tons of Americans are going to go down there and get SUPER fucked up. Its just going to turn Mexican tourist areas into complete shitholes. Oh well, If I were going to Mexico, I'd have no desire to go to cancun or any of the other places where most Americas go.

Quoted post[/post]]
I have a far bigger problem with the fact that Mexico bases their economy off of the money illegals send home, that they don't pay taxes on, and are actually taught from a very young to come to the country illegally.

Heaven forbid people are faced with *gasp* personal responsibility when it comes to the use of intoxicants. What ever is the world coming to?
every once in a while i agree with this guy 100%
it sometimes frightens me
but anyway... :werd: :withstupid:

Its just going to turn Mexican tourist areas into complete shitholes.
ah hahahahahaha, have you ever been to mexico?
everything is practically legal already, you go to any tourist location and all you hear is coke? want some coke? want some e? how about some pot?

Quoted post[/post]]
Heaven forbid people are faced with *gasp* personal responsibility when it comes to the use of intoxicants. What ever is the world coming to?
Really, people do it with alcohol, which is a drug by definition. The only difference is that alcohol is legal. And very few people here are legal in 100% of the things they do anyway.

Quoted post[/post]]
Oh well, If I were going to Mexico, I'd have no desire to go to cancun or any of the other places where most Americas go.
yup.

Ecstacy in mexico...thats scary. Id definitely be afraid of dehydrating if i took X in mexico. Hell i worry about it in texas, but i dont have to worry about montezuma's revenge here :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
I have a far bigger problem with the fact that Mexico bases their economy off of the money illegals send home, that they don't pay taxes on, and are actually taught from a very young to come to the country illegally.

holy crap, I agree with the hippie 100%

strangely enough...so do i....

is that wil i see...holy shit, i thought you were dead.

Quoted post[/post]]

keep your opinions to your self :dry: I'm not saing that american money goes to mexico. But its not like everyone is doing it.they dont pay taxes? shit they dont get any back! how about the big balling rappers and big busnessman that get caught for tax evasion? hell almost every american THAT I KNOW tries to cheat the government one way or the other when it comes to taxes. Ohh an you really got me on this one. we were taght from a very young age how to come to use illegally? c'mon dude you gotta come up with one better than that. The only thing i can remember when i was youn g was the fact that i'm finally going to get to see my dad. thats it.

Put yourself in my shoes.wait put yourself in my dads shoes. You have to steal food sometimes to feed your 1, i repeat one son. your job is very dangerous and they dont pay you shit. You could stay and live in poverty or you can risk it and find a better life somewhere else since its obvious the government only cares about the rich. and its self. My Dad was raised VERY strict. He was raised to be polite,never steal, never lie pretty much be an honorable man. yeah he dint do some of those. How can you when you have a hngry child at home? Anyway its not that we chose to come here illigally. We just want the same equal requirements that everone else gets. My dad has been trying to obtain citizenship since he got here! now i'm trying. We want to be straight we want to contribute to the goverment, we want to be able work without being scared!
\
I think the Us should secure our borders, i think that if you are here you should learn the american way. I think it fair that illigal immigrants should get dported, especially the criminals! :dry: .All we ask is to be able to become us citizens. Now BLANCO i know that its different mexican scenery over in Cali and i'm sorry you gotta put up with it. hell thats why i wouldnt want to live over there :mrgreen: no joke! it completely different kind of hispanics here in Tally. So i can understand your frustration. If you hate us, fine if you dont, great. But dont let that hate stop a good frienship from forming with an idividual. remember that everyone is different.

GO AHEAD WITH THE BASHING, ITS A FREE COUNTRY AFTER ALL :dry: i know some you want to. Hell i had someone call my beautiful fiance a whore and fat ass or something just because of what he thought illigal immigrants ar like :mad: whatever i'm out IMMINGRANT OR NOT I STILL LIKE THOSE JAP CARS! :p :p

Hahahah OWNED. Thanks Taco,

But in all seriousness your story is also exceptional in the result of you. A large percentage (Almost all?) of the offsprings of illegals or the insanely mexican-in-america poor grow up to be violent criminals, gang members or just plain sleezballs. But I digress - that has nothing to do with being Mexican.

Now, about Mexico - The counter argument is that America should not be made to bear the refugees of Mexico because Mexico has a shitty government. It seems Fox practices a scorched-earth policy with Mexico, and he will throw his own people in front of the bus to get more activity into Mexico.

He's trying to start a war.

you think so? i mean i never listen to the mexican news (univision). I remember when he won everyone thought he would turn the country around for the better. mainly because he was the first president in a loooong time to democrat. We call it PRI. And PAN for rep.

Iremember when pepole were cmplaining about not being enought jobs and such. His response was.......there are always jobs,make tacos and sell them in the streets, thats a job. After that i hated him.

It started off well enough in his term, Education was taking a turn - I was meeting more Mexicans online. Housing was renovated / destroyed and rebuilt and roads in the tourist towns were redone as well. He loved tourist towns - increasing security in Tijuana and Acapulco..

but that was it. He didn't seem to do anything for his people - he made everything look better for Tourists. And now this plan of his to legalize the personal use is an attempt to get American students (A BIG money maker there) back across the border. Dealing drugs and trafficking is just as illegal as it used to be (Which means a $10 policia pay-off) So any kind of organized economy there (Trafficking is more organized than any market there) is going to be stronger.

Mexico is going to the be shittiest country in the world, and he doesn't care. When he retires he's prolly going to Peru.

And that's a real shame, because it doesn't need to be. Mexico is a beautiful land with lots of resources and potential for growth. But unfortunately all it's known for is "Cheap, almost slave-like labor". Unlike India, they don't even export many doctors or programmers. They have the ability to call upon allies for a potent military, space program, science area and the gulf of Mexico is cradled by the potential for modern urban areas founded upon both resource export (Think Dubai) and science export (Think Stockholm). They have geo-thermal vents for energy (Think Iceland) and an always warm climate that makes domestic energy needs very low. They can sell sell sell and within 30 years become a global superpower.

But no, they want crack.

In Spain here, the cops don't do shit about 'less hard' drugs. You can smoke a joint right in front of a cop and blow it in his face and he won't do jack. They keep and eye out (kinda) for harder drugs like coke, heroin, X, etc. but otherwise, nada. It's pretty weird actually. I wonder if it'll get like that in Denver. . .

Back