midwest wintertime prep... what's yours..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dc4dude

although we are pretty deep in november already, we have yet to have any measurable snow here in chicago... im not complaining... as we are having mid 50 degree days at this time, and it has seldome gone under freezing temperatures.... so far... but it is time for my winter time preparation... since we are still paying my wife's truck off and cant afford another car payment at this time, ill have to contunue to drive my project car/daily driver into the winter season.... sucks... but such is life... my prep consists of installing winter tires out front with some matching all seasons out back, lubing up the brake sliders and all other moving parts, the usual oil change, replacing the air filter, and come up with some kind of cover, or removign the cold air intake tube altogether.. replacign the floor mats with rubber ones, check bulbs... and i think thats it...

what is your preparation for the upcoming winter thrash? if you have one... hopefully you guys will have a dedicated winter car and wont have to go thru any of this....

on my WRX:

lift car 1.5" over stock.
install dedicated winter tires
replace mats with rubber mats

thats it.

install dedicated winter tires
replace mats with rubber mats

thats it.

^ this

though last winter i never took the winter tires off
by the time i finally was able to get around to it it was august and that just seemed stupid to me so i left them on
so all i did this year was rotate them

I picked up a set of 18" lm-60's for the genny. im going to ditch my truck soon i think. had bill look at it and it needs a ton more work and i'm done dumping money into that f'ing thing. I can always work from home on the real bad days

Take my summer wheel/tires off, put snow tires on, and then do an oil change. The amount I drive I only have to do 2 oil changes a year so it ends up working out to be before winter.

let the dealer put the blizzaks on my stock alloys while i was in for a routine oil change. they scratched some of the plasti-dip off my wheels so offered me a free changeover in the spring. plenty fine with me as i'm just going to peel the rest of it off anyways. :lol:

same.. but change the gloves to sweater, dont need gloves here

Bah. You're not allowed in this thread.

I honestly don't do anything differently except find my boots and snow shovels, Never changed anything carwise.

Bah. You're not allowed in this thread.

I honestly don't do anything differently except find my boots and snow shovels, Never changed anything carwise.[/QUOTE]

I take it you have a separate daily driver then??? Lol because once i get mine (2004-07 i think) acura tl type s, all ill be doing is slapping winter tires and rubber floor mats in...

Nope. I'd always just power through winter with the Si, or take my work vehicle everywhere. The HHR did great last year except when we had sleeting which turned the streets into one big sheet of ice.

I'm just going to drive slower when the roads get bad and wash the truck once every week or two to keep the salt buildup at a min.

Nothing - just don't ride the mini-bike quite as much.....make sure the propane tank is filled for heater I use out on the patio on the coldest nights for evening cigar break (milk bones for doggies). Trim all the shrubs (did that last weekend). That's about it. :)

Serengeti%20Puma%20200.jpg

Put plastic over the old drafty windows and get the big blankets out from the attic. :D

Back