Might buy del sol but has starting issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spiritofjosh

know your role!
I went and talked to a guy selling a mint 94 del sol, looks like it just left the factory. I took it for a test drive, started and ran good and drove really nice. I bought it back, turned off the car then tried to start it again and it started and stalled. Then for a couple minutes wouldn't crank over and finally a minute or two rest it started and sounded fine.And this happened once again 10 minutes later. Before I buy it what could the problem be? He said he installed a new dizzy from honda and mentioned putting in new plugs, i'm thinking it's probably a fuel issue. Any ideas?

If its intermitently not cranking the starter and its wiring isnt a bad place to start looking. Check the grounds in the engine bay as well. That is what my Si was doing when it was a ground issue. Simple fix that I threw a lot of money at trying to figure out.

Well wad it cranking at all? I thought you meant it wouldn't crank all.

no it cranked fine, everything even sounded good it just seems like it's not getting enough fuel but if that's the case i wouldnt mind if it was just a clogged fuel filter or something minor.

Main Relay.

You should here a second click from the relay once the ignition is turned to the on position.

I actually got him to go lower after that happened. How do I check the main relay to see if that's it? I don't wanna go spending tons of money replacing things that are working fine

Nevermind I did research on it, any other ideas in case it's not the main relay?

clogged fuel filter... cracked coil casing. ignition control module going bad, cracks in the distributor cap, that allowed moisture inside....

clogged fuel filter was my first guess and hopefully the extent of it but im gonna take a look at the main relay first then fuel filter and injectors. distributor looked new and he said he had the whole thing replaced, whether he did or not i dont know but it looked ok. thanks for the help

If the CEL illuminates once the key is turned to the on position, then turns off after a few seconds, you hear the hum from the fuel pump, and the 2nd click is present, you can likely eliminate the relay. Vise versa if not.

Clogged fuel filter is unlikely, but not impossible.

When I checked the car out the first thing I looked for was a cel, a few times actually and it didn't come on at all, so I'm really positive it's the main relay, easy fix. Hopefully.

It should illuminate once you turn the key. If its not coming on "at all ", the bulb is either bad, missing or disconnected.

Back