military bases closing

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
I see why B's mad.

New England took a major hit, and Connecticut suffered the biggest loss in terms of jobs with the proposed closure of the Submarine Base in New London, Conn. Shuttering the installation would result in the loss of 7,096 military jobs and 952 civilian jobs.


There goes the economy in CT.
 

posol

RETIRED
Staff member
i didn't even notice the sub-base part... lol
that won't effect me really... thats a good hour and change away...

its just fucking annoying that we're going to weaken our home-front defenses and put them all into other places.

kinda like putting all your eggs in one basket.
 

Guy

Senior Member
Thats really problematic for the area I live in. We have a pretty big base in the area that houses the PAVE PAWS, which is essentially the radar system that protects a big portion of the west coast. Plus the base offers a bunch of civilian jobs, and injects money into the local economy. So in one respect its a bad thing. On the other hand getting the base closed would get a lot of drunk drivers off the road (its bad enough to where they have a mandatory DD checkpoint at the base's enterance). And if were ever at war we (in the sorrounding area) would be less likely to be hit absent a huge military installation.
 

MaaseyRacer

Senior Member
NPS and DLI are still open here that is a huge relief to the Monterey, Ca. economy. Oh and NPS is the Naval Post Graduate School, and the DLI is the Defense Language School (argumentably the best language school in the world).
 

spectacle

Senior Member
lol...always blaiming shit on Bush tsk tsk lol

the truth is the military has been downsizing since the Golf War...these closures happen every few years to restructure our forces into more productive units. Our base here in Tampa was rumored to be on the list but I highly doubted they would close it due to stupid amounts of money they're pouring into this place plus the fact that we house US Centcom and SOCOM; both of which are running the war. 80% of the bases on the list suck anyway and the majority of the civilians will just get reassigned with all us military people.
 

Seany-izzle

Member
he wants to close the only submarine training center. He wants to close all these places that will make thousands of people lose their immedate jobs and the economies of the towns will take a big hit as well. He also wants to close the second biggest employer in north (i know its one of em) dakota. If all places are closed, it will cost approx 24 thousand people their jobs. Why do this???? those bases arent just for soldiers, obviously. There are so many other places he could be saving money in, but no he wants to cut jobs for thousands of people... what a fuckin idiot. But hey, why should he care.. its not like he can be elected again.
 

spectacle

Senior Member
lol @ all of you guy's ignorance.

the President does not pick the bases...some agency in the Pentagon does. he is the DAA or designated approval authority that signs the proposal into law.

Its not Bush's fault. quit your hatin
 

Seany-izzle

Member
okay then. well if he is the authority figure who signs it, dont you think he would atleast try and do something about it? maybe he did, maybe he didnt.... either way, this is a bad decision.
 

spectacle

Senior Member
Originally posted by Seany-izzle@May 14 2005, 03:27 PM
okay then. well if he is the authority figure who signs it, dont you think he would atleast try and do something about it? maybe he did, maybe he didnt.... either way, this is a bad decision.
[post=499169]Quoted post[/post]​



why would he try to change it if the closures are justifiable?? I think you in a little over your head....please explain to me why closing these bases is a bad idea?
 

Sabz5150

FALCON PUNCH!!!
Originally posted by spectacle+May 14 2005, 06:50 PM-->
Seany-izzle
@May 14 2005, 03:27 PM
okay then. well if he is the authority figure who signs it, dont you think he would atleast try and do something about it? maybe he did, maybe he didnt.... either way, this is a bad decision.
[post=499169]Quoted post[/post]​



why would he try to change it if the closures are justifiable?? I think you in a little over your head....please explain to me why closing these bases is a bad idea?
[post=499289]Quoted post[/post]​


*In best possible Bush imitation*

Terrorism.

Hey, it works for him. ;)
 

swanny

Senior Member
Originally posted by spectacle+May 14 2005, 07:50 PM-->
Seany-izzle
@May 14 2005, 03:27 PM
okay then. well if he is the authority figure who signs it, dont you think he would atleast try and do something about it? maybe he did, maybe he didnt.... either way, this is a bad decision.
[post=499169]Quoted post[/post]​



why would he try to change it if the closures are justifiable?? I think you in a little over your head....please explain to me why closing these bases is a bad idea?
[post=499289]Quoted post[/post]​

Atlanta is loosing something like 10,000 jobs with a payroll of 512 million, how do you think that would be for the economy?
 

Seany-izzle

Member
because the economies of these towns, atleast the ones up here in NE are going to be hit HARD. this guys store/restuarant (or whatever) is expected to lose atLEAST 30% of business, and thats huge. Its not only the fact that the people that work at these facilities are losing jobs, but the people who have businesses in the town that thrive on their business may lose there whole lifes work. Sorry, but I'd look into other things besides cutting peoples jobs out to save money. Alloting cuts evenly to some different programs would of saved just as much.

and whats so justifiable?? Putting thousand of people out of work is justifiable? hurting towns economies is justifiable?
 

spectacle

Senior Member
would you rather people be out of a job on the homefront or our military being stretched too thin to properly defend the country?

I'm done arguing this...you only see one side of it. I am in the military and I have been at bases that have closed, trust me they were for a reason. Sacrifices must be made in every choice in life, please try to see it from a different angle rather then just being one sighted and listening to everything these armchair prophets preach about the "big bad Bush"
 

Seany-izzle

Member
your right, i listen to everything peole say on here... why dont you tell me why im so wrong along with why everybody else is wrong. Dont just say im wrong cuz you "know".
 

Sabz5150

FALCON PUNCH!!!
Originally posted by spectacle@May 15 2005, 08:29 AM
would you rather people be out of a job on the homefront or our military being stretched too thin to properly defend the country?

I'm done arguing this...you only see one side of it. I am in the military and I have been at bases that have closed, trust me they were for a reason. Sacrifices must be made in every choice in life, please try to see it from a different angle rather then just being one sighted and listening to everything these armchair prophets preach about the "big bad Bush"
[post=499469]Quoted post[/post]​


If we didn't get into a war we shouldn't have started in the first place, we wouldn't be stretched so damn thin. I'm tired of old people dreaming up wars for young people to die in.

And it seemed like the job market was making a bit of a comeback. With this it's gonna make it that much harder for people to find a job. Hell, most of the "job growth" has been low wage, low skill work. I think they call those 'manufacturing jobs' the se days. Going from a decent paying job on a military base to "manufacturing" cheeseburgers aint what I call a good job market.

Oh wait... for only one weekend a month, you can join the Army! Beautiful, aint it?
 
Top