mini-me or d16z6???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jdm89crx

whatsup guys. i have an'89 crx dx with the d15b2 motor in it. i cant make up my mind if i just want to swap the head to a d16z6 head or if i just want to swap the whole motor. would a mini-me give more power or should i just put the d16z6 in? somebody told me that if i keep the 1.5 block and put the 1.6 vtec head it would give more power and be better for turbo wich i will eventually be doing.. idk if hes right. does anybody know the power of a mini-me compared to a straight d16z6 motor??? any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks

brad did this in his hatch, the mini me will boost hp to 125 -130ish with VTEC. the out come: a hemi ram/ 5L stang, eating civic. I suggest the whole motor reason being that it is stronger and higher compresion.

mini me man. i did an a6/z6 its the way to go and mine will be boosted too eventually

it will last dude obviously no one would do it if it did not last. the thing the vtec head has is the oil control and it bumps your compression which gives you a lil more power. you can run up to 200whp on a dblock on stock internals. and if you boost it you have to tune the hell out of it and it will last most of the ebuilds is all in the tune.

D15's have weaker rods than a z6. If you plan on boosting the stock bottom end, the z6 is the better choice.

The mini-me may be a lil' cheaper though. Do you know where a good D16Z6 is at or have you just planned on purchasing the head?
D15's have weaker rods than a z6. If you plan on boosting the stock bottom end, the z6 is the better choice.

Get a whole D16Z6 motor. You won't have to deal with tuning, ect. Unless you're positive you're gonna turbo.

If you were to do a Mini-Me I'd go with a Si D16A6 block with a D16Z6 head.

If you plan on turboing I personally would just swap the motor. If you do swap the head you will need to drop the compression because you will be running around a 10.5:1 compression ratio which we all know is definately pushing the limits when you plan on boosting, versus the modest 9.2:1 stock ratio of the z6/ With that head swap I am almost positive (don't quote me on this) but you must use the y8/z6 3 layer head gasket which is about one of the thickest head gaskets around. Which leaves you with decking the head to drop the compression ratio to avoid detonation. If you just swap the motor you have the benefit of not having to mix and match parts which helps when buying the parts (trust me I just built a b7/y8 mini-me), I have seen reasonably priced z6 swaps around and I am sure you could find one, spend some time to redo the gaskets, do a compression and leak down test, and whatever else you see fit before installing the motor then the only thing is wiring vtec and finding the z6 ecu. All in all it is far less hassle to swap the motor in and to be honest if I could go back and just spend the $500+ I dropped into my motor on a complete y8 with the same result I would.

my friend is selling a d16z6 swap for only $200 and is gonna put it in for another $200. hes really good ive hepled him put in turbo h22s into del sols and gsrs into coupes. so hes good. but i was just thinkin... i have dual point fuel injection so what would i need to get to get the d16z6 runnin mint. i found a harness conversion for only $130 on ebay. but i dont know if thats the only thing i need or if im gunna be friggin buy shit left and right to get it runnin.. o and im definatly turboin it cuz my girl sed she was gunna buy it as a christmas present but i told her to hold of cuz my friend was sellin a 1993 acura integra LS for only $300 so i was just gunna swap everything. but the retard sold the car on me so im just gunna do the single vtec turbo.. thanks guys

I suggest you swap the intire z6 in.

what you will spend on a mini me is about the same as what you could pick up a whole z6 for.

i mini me'd my 95 hatch and ran into timing issues, turns out the deck height of a 1.5 block is shorter then a 1.6 ...

Chances are your stock motor has probibly also been through hell it's whole life so a newer motor would be pretty sexy.

yeah but i personally like the d16z6 engine, i have mine boost and im makin over 235whp as a daily driver, stock compression is about 9.1:1 or something in the range and i dropped the compression to 8.5:1 running 19psi. Definitely a fun DD, go with the Z6! ive seen N/A and Boosted Z6's with well over 300 whp. so no matter what way you go you cant go wrong.

the d16z6 in my opinion was the best sohc motor made... u can disagree but i think so... i would scrap the whole mini me thing a do a boosted z6.. u can make 400hp on a built bottom end with a stock head but if its ur dd then i wouldnt go that high...... but keep the motor thats in ur car now an build the z6 no point on pullin it twice =)

I personally LOVE the extra HP with a daily driver, i mean there are daily drivers with more HP stock but im happy with what i have now. Granted you may have to sacrifice a day here or there or a few hours or some money to keep it all up to par but i dont mind working on my car, i love it. As for :
Go with the full Z6 swap. Get the ECU and then get the OBD-0 to OBD-1 jumper harness. Turbo it and blow it up.
You may not like the Z6 boost setup but if someone knows what they are doing or talks to people who can help them, they wont blow it up... just be smart, only thing ive ever blown up on my car is the tranny Haha, but thats because the stage 5 clutch ( dont ask.. company sent wrong clutch but its easy to drive).

but keep the motor thats in ur car now an build the z6 no point on pullin it twice =)
I dont know if that was directed someone in my response as well as to the poster but my current CRX with my Z6 setup wasnt my DD at one point, it took a few months with the motor out of the car to build the whole bottom end, and everything else in the car to handle the boost.

the d16z6 in my opinion was the best sohc motor made... u can disagree but i think so...

I agree with you all the way.

OVERALL.. go with a full Z6 setup, build it, and BOOST IT! :cool:

i was just sayin it would be fun for dd but i really wouldnt do it... id keep it low boost for dd then turn it up whenever u want too... i know tons of people with boosted d series... im currently doin a all motor y8 just to try something different... my next project is gona be boost tho.... an the whole keep the motor thats in ur car now so u wont have to pull it twice is that if its ur only car u wouldnt want bunch of down time building the motor an alot easier to work witht outside of the car

Back