"Mini-Me...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

timEspeed

I have a '91 civic DX and I've been looking at many swaps, specifically b20/vtec. It's finally gotten through my head that this may be too expensive, although it can be done. I'm opening up to other possibilities like a Mini me coversion. All I would need is the head seeing as My cars got the bottom end. However this is all I know about the swap, so If any body knows where I can find a guide or can tell me more than I already know.......

Is the Z6 head the same as the one in my civic DX? Whats the ZC and what head do I use? Sorry about the basic questions, everthing I've read about mini me so far has been confusing and they seem to contradict one another...

Originally posted by timEspeed@Dec 27 2002, 10:51 PM
Is the Z6 head the same as the one in my civic DX? Whats the ZC and what head do I use? Sorry about the basic questions, everthing I've read about mini me so far has been confusing and they seem to contradict one another...

The Z6 head is the head from the 92-95 USDM EX, Si hatch, and 93-95 del Sol Si. It was the first single cam VTEC setup used in a Civic.

The ZC is the higher performance version of the dual overhead cam D16 blocks (non-VTEC). You can find it in quite a few of the 88-91 JDM Civics, but not here in the states. You don't want to put a ZC into a 5th generation or newer Civic, since it'll be illegal in most parts of the US.

so the idea is to put a z6 head on my 4th gen. DX right? Ok, what about putting the DOHC VTEC head on the ZC block? What kind of HP numbers am I lookin at compared to price? Would this be a good cost-effective alternative to B20/vtec? Like I said, if i penny pinch for a while i could do the b20 but I'm tryin to be more reallistic and still be realatively fast.

(P.S. I know that zc and minime are no where near B20 in terms of performance, I'm simply looking to make an informed desicion based on cost vs. power)

Yes, putting a Z6 head on your 4G short block is a very cost effective way to make power.

The DOHC VTEC heads will NOT fit on the ZC block. The ZC is a D series engine, and the DOHC VTEC heads never came in the D series... they're all B, H, K... and the F20C, which is really a K series block anyway. You can't swap heads between types of engine blocks, at least not with a Honda anyway.

also, the VTEC head will not fit on the DX 1.5 liter block... the mini-me conversion us done using the d16 1.6 block from a CRX or civic SI...... the conversion makes close to 140 hp. and will tolerate more power adders than a ZC..also, you can not buy parts for a ZC..not in the US

Is this true? Icouldn't just do a head swap? that sux...
what are the power numbers and approx. cost of each? I see 140 for mini me (actually I think it's closer to 130 hp)
thanx

i have the D16Z6 head/tranny on a D15B7 block in my car right now.. i dont know what that guy is talking about ... also you can get parts that will fit a ZC they just arent labled as being for a ZC... this makes finding parts a pain in the ass but you can find them

the timing belt will rub the dr. side motor mount ( the block part) on a 1.5... you can grind back the mount, but i wouldn't want to do that. you can get an SI longblock for next to nothing, and your tranny will bolt up, also, is yours a 4 speed or 5
?

your wrong .... i have a D15B7 block in my 93 del sol si (cuz i fucked up the botom end of the stock D16Z6 and needed something that would work till i did my real engine swap) i am using everything from the D16Z6 (head, tranny, mounts, etc) nothing rubs at all it pretty much went together just like it came apart

actually, you are right... i apologize, what i meant was the obdII heads and blocks won't swap like that... i was misinformed... :unsure:

Originally posted by EGLSHB@Dec 29 2002, 01:24 PM
what i meant was the obdII heads and blocks won't swap like that... i was misinformed... :unsure:

I havn't heard this before I did a mini-me using parts from a 99 EX 5 sp on a 92 1.5 auto. There were some minor difficulties w/ vacuum & coolant lines, headbolts, & timing belt covers, but everything else went smoothly. putting OBD2 on OBD1 though gave no problems, doing OBD1 on OBD2 though might give you trouble... :eek:

Back