Moroso Oil Pan Or Spoon Baffle Oil Pan?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NoJokE

I've narrowed down to those two, which is better and why?

Good question. I've heard good things about the Moroso, but I don't know anything about the Spoon pan. I'm looking at putting one on eventually... but not anytime soon. I'd like to hear any input anybody has too.

i would go with spoon over moroso any day based on reputation alone.

now i don't have experience with either...and i'd like to know you're application before i suggest you get anything more than an OEM honda oil pan.

I've got a B18CR, fully building it for boost, street car and will see a fair amount of track time. I would go with Spoon too, but i've seen at least 2 NHRA Sport Compact dragsters use the Moroso on their Honda motors. Angela Proudfoot is one and the other i dont remember, i've never heard of anyone using the Spoon oil pan. That got me confused as to which get.

If you're just drag racing and it's still a street application, you really don't need one- although they are nice. I'm looking into a baffled pan more for road racing, where the side loading through high speed turns can starve your oil pump sometimes.

Would they do anything in a street application? Are they recommended? If i put it on for the street would they do the same thing as the stocker? Just some things im wondering

Street? Not really. They might help keep your crank spinning a bit more free because it wouldn't be dragging through oil all the time, but there won't really be a performance benefit on the street unless you're constantly accelerating at full throttle and/or taking turns at 100% all the time. And I mean all the time.

the only possible gain I could see would be from a crank scraper to reduce oil windage and the gains would miniscule. possible gain in fuel economy due to reduced internal drag from the oil being removed from the crank at a constant engine speed, like on the highway.

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 25 2003, 08:39 PM
Street? Not really. They might help keep your crank spinning a bit more free because it wouldn't be dragging through oil all the time, but there won't really be a performance benefit on the street unless you're constantly accelerating at full throttle and/or taking turns at 100% all the time. And I mean all the time.

if it wont do anything for the street or drag, why does Angela Proudfoot use a Moroso oilpan? Shes a dragster by the way, it must help for SOMETHING on the street

Originally posted by TypeRcivic+Feb 27 2003, 04:57 PM-->
@Feb 25 2003, 08:39 PM

if it wont do anything for the street or drag, why does Angela Proudfoot use a Moroso oilpan? Shes a dragster by the way, it must help for SOMETHING on the street

Dunno.. it can't ever hurt- I'm getting a baffled pan for myself later on, once my suspension is setup so I don't bottom out. They're still nice to have, no matter. Angela's reasoning for putting one on may not be the same as yours and mine.

Dragsters use them because the oil washes to the back, just like road racers use them to keep oil from loading to the side. It's for oil starvation. I can't remember about Spoon, but Moroso's has an extra Qt. capacity to keep oil cooler. Both are reputable. Moroso is new to imports, but they have been building them for Domestics for the same reason for a long time.

Back