mugen ecu

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have a gsr swap in my hatch....it has the mugen chip in the ecu.....is that a good chip...what does the vtec kick in at and whats the rev limit...does this chip run rich
....if this isnt a good chip which one is
thanks

do a search bro, i know I have read at least 7-8 threads saying that the mujen chip sucks and does make you run rich...

Originally posted by 92Gsrhatch@Mar 15 2004, 08:27 PM
i have a gsr swap in my hatch....it has the mugen chip in the ecu.....is that a good chip...what does the vtec kick in at and whats the rev limit...does this chip run rich
....if this isnt a good chip which one is
thanks

The Mugen chip is a piece of shit for a street car with a stock or even mildly modified engine.

Here are the specs:

Knock sensor disabled
o2 sensor disabled
VTEC speed check disabled
VTEC oil pressure disabled
other sensors are disabled too, but I can't remember them.

About 20% too much fuel.

Timing only slightly advanced.

The best attempt at an untuned chip would be stock P72 maps with slightly less fuel and slightly more timing advance.

Which ECU are you running?

Originally posted by 92Gsrhatch@Mar 15 2004, 08:58 PM
pretty sure its a P72 chipped with mugen

Check your ECU for the part number on the external case and on the connector with the top cover removed.

Who did the swap? Are you running the Mugen program to cover up wiring problems?

all the numbers are takin off the ecu....but it came out of a 95 gsr....i unscrewed the top half of the case and looke and it has a mugen chip in it.....its from efficientexperts.com if u ever heard of them

Originally posted by 92Gsrhatch@Mar 15 2004, 09:19 PM
all the numbers are takin off the ecu....but it came out of a 95 gsr....i unscrewed the top half of the case and looke and it has a mugen chip in it.....its from efficientexperts.com if u ever heard of them

Yeah, I have. I am willing to bet it is a fake P72. I assume you have a modified P05, P06 or P28 with a Mugen chip in it. Is there any way you could email me a picture of the top and bottom of the circuit board?

so with that extra fuel from the mugen chip can that cause an irratic idle between 1-1.5k rpm.
How do you solve this?
also is your engine at more risk to be damaged when you loose all these sensors via mugen chipped
sorry for hijacking
BUMP

majority of aftermarket burnt chips are just bumping the fuel and timing up for gains.

honestly a tuned hondata is worth every penny.

and a tuned chipped ECU is worth every penny AND costs less than a tuned hondata worth every penny.

So what is better about DIY?
Tools: not necessarily. Hondata have put a huge amount of time into making quality tools.
Code: not necessarily. A lot of the DIY code is exactly that - DIY code. My recent OBD0 ROM had some atrocious embarassing coding errors that resulted in everyone's idle going to shit. These things happen. Hondata code, for the most part, is very mature and stable.
Value: this is where DIY wins. If you Do It Yourself, you don't pay for it. If you pay for other people to do hard work for you, you should expect better tools, service, and a more proven track record. All of these you receive with a Hondata.

The choice is yours...

exactly.

To me, I don't have the time, or more so, the patience. lol So I got hondata. i got a base map frmo my dealer, and 90% of the time it will start the car right up and put you around until you can get it fully tuned at a dyno.

with a DIY, you really have no base to start from- and unless you know what you are sorta doing, and have the time to figure it out, its going ot be a pain in the ass.

to me, the $400 more i spent on the hondata is well worth my time trying to figure out uberdata //chrome: or some other program.

Both Uberdata and Crome have the ability to generate a basemap from which to tune. It only takes about five minutes to generate a basemap in either program, and they both support a 3 bar MAP sensor. Hondata is a much more mature software and hardware package. For most users this alone is worth the additional cost.

Back